ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,087
Food for thought:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/3583089948.html

There's probably not much headroom for a dealer in a $4500 bike. So, if you love shopping and all the attendant hassles, figure you might save $300.

Do what McJunky suggests and build yourself a target price that makes you happy, OTD, then do some visits to dealers that aren't a gazillion miles away. Somebody will likely meet your target and be located pretty close by.

To me that's the way to go. But, I hate the shopping and attendant hassles, so if you want to try the email offer route, you'll probably enjoy it and save the same $300, while being happy you did everything you could to get the last dime onto your end of the deal.

Keep us in the loop. It's fun to have somebody else have the hassle, and fun to share your new owner enjoyment vicariously. And obviously cheaper for observers, too.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,234
CRF250L

Starting at $4,499*

+ Destination Charge: $310.00
  • Overview
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l/street.aspx
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
bensgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Taylor honda
503-981-1813
bensgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,649
Fred's Honda in Corvallis is tiny, been around forever and run by a knowledgeable and friendly staff, if I were in your shoes it'd be a no brainer.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,269
Both Taylor's in Woodburn and Fred's in Corvallis have been good to me. Not sure how well your E-mail idea is going to work but I am interested hearing the outcome. I ordered a pickup from the factory like that. Some dealers basically told me to F Off a few wanted to play games that I wasn't into. Two dealers decided to give me a shot. One in Oregon and one in Idaho. I ended up buying from Idaho since they beat the other guy's by $3000.00
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunky View Post
Just for shits and giggles, what do you think is a fair offer out the door is on a motorcycle that retails for $4,499? I'm talking tax, license what you are going to lay down in greenbacks to ride it away and feel good about it?

I'd offer $3k and would walk out feeling bad about a refusal if that helps.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
klondike300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I'm not sure with what my happy price range is. I just hate the whole procedure. I'd almost rather buy a house again than buying from a dealer. But at that price range I'm not expecting some jaw dropping deal. Just whoever wants my business.
I'm taking my KLX in next week and do some wheeling and dealing with the guy who sold me my quads.
klondike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
ThrottleThrill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
You know after reading thru this thread, it made me think of how I buy vehicles. Last weekend, I bought a new truck and based the decision solely on price. I contacted several dealers, told them what I wanted and whoever quoted the best price would get the business. I actually saved a lot of money and it was for the most part, pain free.

And yet, when I look at how I buy vehicles I enjoy and am passionate about (motorcycles and snowmobiles) I take a completely different approach. Because these are sports I love, I make an effort to support my local dealer. I can't tell you how many vehicles I have bought at my local shop which happens to be Ride Motorsports iin Woodinville. I know I will get a fair deal on the purchase as well as on parts and service. I truly want shops like this to do well and stay in business. I also can't tell you how many times they have saved a weekend for me by staying open a few minutes late so I could get the part that just broke, or gave me service advice that salvaged a weekend or countless other examples.

I guess my point is that the difference between a scrapped weekend and being able to ride is one of the reasons I support the local dealer vs doing mail order or shopping just on price. Also, unlike how I just bought my truck (transportation vs fun toys) I don't squeeze every dollar out of every transaction (But then again, Ride has been very fair on pricing anyway) because I want to them to be there next year and the year after. And before anyone asks, no, I don't work there, no I don't have any financial stake etc. I am just a loyal customer because I have always been treated well.

Having seen how many dealerships have failed the last few years, I believe even more in this. Just one guys thought here but, I would much rather support the local guy than see an empty store front.

T

'09 KTM 990R
'09 KTM 530 XC W
GasGas 300 Trials
'11 SkiDoo 800 Rev XP X
ThrottleThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,096
To avoid dealer bullshit just buy one lightly used on Craigslist. Much easier.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
rm_hm
Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer: 170
I bought my 2009 TW200 from tacoma motorsports.

I paid full price (I tried to dicker). I put 2k down and financed the rest. (took me six months to pay it off)

Another guy was in there at the same time buying a Ruckus and they gave him free his and hers helmets with his deal. I then hinted at can you throw anything in with my purchase and was met with a "sorry can't do that".

After I bought it I never heard from the dealer/salesman again. (I'm a firm believer in a follow up call)

Bike came with a quart of fuel and loose handlebars.
N46 39.164 / W121 35.020
N47 19' 24.73" / W123 16' 23.73"

rm_hm screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 05:24 PM
rm_hm is offline   Reply With Quote