Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #271
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The S10 isn't as popular as the GS but it is still selling in decent numbers and Globescout is the only company that seems to think there's no money to be made in making products for it. I'm guessing that they are a very small operation...
They are a small operation. That's evident in the attention to detail in their boxes.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #272
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
They are a small operation. That's evident in the attention to detail in their boxes.
Go ahead, rub it in....
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #273
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
But still wide at a bit over 40 inches. 35s would be bit under 36 inches which would be badass.

I really like the Globescouts but they need to give the consumers what they want. Nolan has been available for a while with different sizes. If I had to guess, Id say Touratech will have some out soon too. Its not like the process is any different to cut out the 35l box vs the 45l so this seems a bit strange we have to beg. Not to mention they are being more or less made to order anyway and are selling every set made its a no brainer. They need to understand this. You're our voice. Maybe a poll or something to guage interest?
Duly noted. I'm in active discussions with the folks at Globescout about a 35L set. I'm optimistic that it will happen somewhat soonish. The first (and perhaps the second) shipments will be all 45L.

You'd be looking at just a smidge over 36", BTW. (10CM narrower, which is 3.93")

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The S10 isn't as popular as the GS but it is still selling in decent numbers and Globescout is the only company that seems to think there's no money to be made in making products for it. I'm guessing that they are a very small operation...
I'm not sure where you're coming from with the, "no products for it". Here is a Globescout pannier kit for the S10: http://advdepot.com/globescout-world...er-tenere.html By your logic, we're also ignoring the F800GS and the Tiger 800, and that is clearly not the case.

I actually *have* and F800GS, and no one would like to see a notched Globescout kit for it more than I would, but it's a matter of priorities, and priority is to create a kit (from scratch, mind you) for the best selling adventure bike in the world.

Globescout is not Touratech. There are less than half a dozen people that make these boxes. The US importer (us) is just three people - all part time.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #274
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
I'm optimistic that it will happen somewhat soonish. The first (and perhaps the second) shipments will be all 45L.
So if this is the case, approximately how long would this be? Judging by your current shipment schedule, wouldn't that be 3 months out at the very least? Or in other words, the end of the riding season before we could get our hands on some? That doesn't make sense to me. I just don't see how building a few of the 35s along with the 45s, (especially if you already have two buyers stating they would buy today if it was an option) would slow anything down or make any sense.

Quote:
There are less than half a dozen people that make these boxes. The US importer (us) is just three people - all part time.
This certainly answers that question. Then again, it also more or less proves my point that these bags are basically being made to order at this point so why not offer what buyers want if it's not creating any more / different work?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #275
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
So if this is the case, approximately how long would this be? Judging by your current shipment schedule, wouldn't that be 3 months out at the very least? Or in other words, the end of the riding season before we could get our hands on some? That doesn't make sense to me. I just don't see how building a few of the 35s along with the 45s, (especially if you already have two buyers stating they would buy today if it was an option) would slow anything down or make any sense.
I'm really not certain. Literally, we've been trading emails back and forth today. I just received finalized pricing on the sets in general.

Keep in mind that it's not as easy as just lopping off a few CM's per pag. All of the alloy that bags are constructed out of are laser cut to specification, then welded together. There needs to be a program for it, then it needs to go to the subcontractor, plates need cut, shipped, received, etc. It's a bit more of a process than folks realize, unfortunately.

That said, they were able to turn around the 28L pannier quickly based upon my order, so I'm optimistic it's sooner.

Quote:
This certainly answers that question. Then again, it also more or less proves my point that these bags are basically being made to order at this point so why not offer what buyers want if it's not creating any more / different work?
That's note quite a correct assumption. This order (the one that was due in last week ) was actually ordered at the end of April. This next order will be placed in the next day or so. It's a few weeks to complete the entire order, and then a few more to ship them over by boat as air is way to expensive - $200 more per set.

A better way to describe it is that we're ordering to stock, and just selling through them very rapidly. We could probably sell through double the quantity that we've been ordering, but its A) still of a bit of an unknown as far as how many to order, in what colors, etc and B) pretty damn scary as we're well into the 5 digits for each shipment of a a few pallets.

Sorry to get all businessy, but I hope that bit of transparency helps somewhat.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #276
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
I'm really not certain. Literally, we've been trading emails back and forth today. I just received finalized pricing on the sets in general.

Keep in mind that it's not as easy as just lopping off a few CM's per pag. All of the alloy that bags are constructed out of are laser cut to specification, then welded together. There needs to be a program for it, then it needs to go to the subcontractor, plates need cut, shipped, received, etc. It's a bit more of a process than folks realize, unfortunately.

That said, they were able to turn around the 28L pannier quickly based upon my order, so I'm optimistic it's sooner.

That's note quite a correct assumption. This order (the one that was due in last week ) was actually ordered at the end of April. This next order will be placed in the next day or so. It's a few weeks to complete the entire order, and then a few more to ship them over by boat as air is way to expensive - $200 more per set.

A better way to describe it is that we're ordering to stock, and just selling through them very rapidly. We could probably sell through double the quantity that we've been ordering, but its A) still of a bit of an unknown as far as how many to order, in what colors, etc and B) pretty damn scary as we're well into the 5 digits for each shipment of a a few pallets.

Sorry to get all businessy, but I hope that bit of transparency helps somewhat.
I appreciate "businessy" as it does help explain what's going on. I still feel the 35s need to get out ASAP and frankly I believe they will be a bigger seller than the 45s. Look at older GSs. I don't have specs, but I see far more midsize boxes mounted on them than I do the large 40+liter sizes. Capacity is nice, but it's really too much for most uses and just makes the bike unnecessarily wide.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #277
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Hi Rob,
I just receive the Hepco & Becker racks for the 1190 today!.
Witch panniers do I need to order??????
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #278
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the, "no products for it". Here is a Globescout pannier kit for the S10: http://advdepot.com/globescout-world...er-tenere.html By your logic, we're also ignoring the F800GS and the Tiger 800, and that is clearly not the case.

I actually *have* and F800GS, and no one would like to see a notched Globescout kit for it more than I would, but it's a matter of priorities, and priority is to create a kit (from scratch, mind you) for the best selling adventure bike in the world.

Globescout is not Touratech. There are less than half a dozen people that make these boxes. The US importer (us) is just three people - all part time.
My apologies, the standard set dropped off my radar due to the width so I didn't think about it when I posted. Hope they hire more people!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #279
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I'd be interested to hear if anyone orders from Australia. I like the look of these but I think they would work out very expensive. Shipping on the website was over $200 then you would need to add gst as they are over the $1000 limit and the dollar isn't looking so hot at the moment.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #280
Nanook
Shawn Morton

Oddometer: 6
Hey Rob
Any word on the shipment? Do you have an ETA and ship out date?
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #281
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I'd be interested to hear if anyone orders from Australia. I like the look of these but I think they would work out very expensive. Shipping on the website was over $200 then you would need to add gst as they are over the $1000 limit and the dollar isn't looking so hot at the moment.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.
We've sent 3 sets so far to Australia. Unfortunately, the maximum dimensions allowed by the Australian postal service means that it needs to be sent in separate boxes. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Hey Rob
We were told to expect them last week. We're waiting on the customs broker to call with a clear and delivery date. We're hoping any day now...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #282
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Hey Rob
Ditto.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #283
Nanook
Shawn Morton

Oddometer: 6
Wicked

Quote:
We've sent 3 sets so far to Australia. Unfortunately, the maximum dimensions allowed by the Australian postal service means that it needs to be sent in separate boxes. :(

We were told to expect them last week. We're waiting on the customs broker to call with a clear and delivery date. We're hoping any day now...
I'm going to be in Montana, I have a US post office box there. on Aug 10th, picking up the rest of my order would be very cool.If doable let me know.
Thanks
Shawn
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #284
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Hey Rob
As some of you might not be aware, getting stuff through customs in Philly, NY or NJ via ocean freight is a PITA. My suspicion is much of this activity is still controlled by the mob and when you are a small importer without the $$$$ to grease the wheels things can take forever. I once had a race car sit in customs for a month due to Vinny and Guido giving us the runaround....

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #285
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
As some of you might not be aware, getting stuff through customs in Philly, NY or NJ via ocean freight is a PITA. My suspicion is much of this activity is still controlled by the mob and when you are a small importer without the $$$$ to grease the wheels things can take forever. I once had a race car sit in customs for a month due to Vinny and Guido giving us the runaround....
I can state for a fact that US Customs is NOT at all controlled by organized crime.

The teamsters, loaders, and warehouses, on the other hand, well, who know's?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote