User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Izh/ish knowlegde..

.. it's a brand which produced over 11 million bikes, buit in western europe seldom seen..
i like the older models very much, but there's no readable knowlegde about spare parts, quality, tips & tricks etc..
With dnepr, the post-glasnost bikes were very bad, the older ones were much better.. is it the same case with izh?
Are here some russian bikers who can tell me??
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer: 454
Quality is relative the older models being little better than the later planeta 5s jupiters etc, The older bikes just looked a little more like the DKW 350 they were based on but there the similarity ended, the DKWs were much better all around. The pick of the crop is the yamaha assisted PS350s for export with autolube and the mikuni carb ND/ stanley electrics ?lighting etc, the russian market bikes use the pekkar style carbs with a bent tin throttle slide type K 64s and 65s and, only the few early export planetas sports had anything mainstream like a mikuni on them.
The last IZH planeta 5s were apparently sketchey on components and supposed to be less reliable.
As for engine mods tuning etc take a look here many posts on here and notably by member RUST are informative. The expansion chamber info is great i used this on my PS350 mods.
http://moto-planeta.ru/motoizh/tuning-izha/
The Yamaha designed PS350 Engine is the way to go, its strong and tuneable, i increased the capacity to 400cc this is a well documented mod and is straight forward.
You can fit minsk ignition to the Normal Planetas this again is a popular mod and if to look on the link i posted there is lots of info on there. If you search on these message boards here on ADV rider, , the few Russians that have historicaly posted on IZH bikes seem to show little respect for the brand.

My advice is look for a japan engined PS they are the best of the crop from what i can tell. That link is a wealth of info and will keep you entertained for hours.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I've seen plenty of Izh's in the past few years but that is mostly working and travelling in eastern Europe, most just keep things standard due to living wages and cost's to tune, I would agree the later models are a little lacking in quality, I've even been to the former factory that made them in Izhevsk, a friend of mine owns one and says the early to mid 80's model was probably the better decade for a Izh.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@ matty, i am not sure what you mean by PS engine and other abbrevatives..
so, to keep it short, stay away from the -5 types..
But they made so, so many, more then any other rand.. is it all shitty quality?

because it is communistic made? i have 2 jawa's and very satisfied with the quality...- they need a few mod's. but still..
Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

I dont class any of the IZH two strokes as cheap nasty bikes, i have had them for over 15years and do 30 miles to work on one most days so they have covered some miles with very few issues , they are tough and simple, IZH 350cc two strokes come in two configurations singles and twin cylinder.
Jupiter (twins) and planeta (singles) they are 350cc as standard. I have never had a twin.
The immediate post ww2 Planetas were a copy of the DKW NZ350 twin exhaust port iron barrel.
This went on to spawn the second model and third and fourth model these were Derivatives of the first model. Then in the mid 1970s IZH went to yamaha and and the Planeta sport 350 was created made in japan engine electrics lighting etc. This is termed the PS350 PS (planeta sport). This bike was well acepted in Russia good performance light and 35BHP the Russians nickname these things THE DOG but not in a derogatory way.
Last of were the planeta 5s I think they were all 5 speed and not a early Planeta twin port motor nor a PS (Jap Planeta sport ) They were a development all by themselves and are a tough reliable machine. But as i said before the Jap desined PS350 is the best of the bunch, and these engines see service in various izh motorsport models as well as the Sport model, the sport model, was produced in russia same yamaha developments but no autolube and the Cheap russian carb for the home market.
Planeta 5s are not a poor or crapy bike at all, but they do get labeled as having poor quality control and careless assembly in the last few years of production, but this is not going to be every bike but as in such cases they will all get tared with the same brush.
There are cheap replacement patern parts available for the IZH two strokes from some less than high spec chinese firms, and some parts get a bad press, just the same as similar chinese made parts for your jawas do, there are still genuine Russian made components about i tend to try and get these if i can there are links off that forum i posted to some of thse suppliers.

In the soviet block two strokes i think MZ seem to be a bit better made then come the jawas and the planetas and then the jupiters thats just my take on these matters based on my experience.
However i do think the early PS 350 with autolube and the jap carb and electrics as turned out by yamaha for export are the equal to the MZs if not dare i say even better.

Other Russian bikes like the minsk are a tough little bike too and if you want a smaller bike are reliable.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
Scootern29
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
How about an IZH 500 mx'er

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know about the 35 HP planeta sport.. but was the bike strong enough for the performance?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

The planeta sport engine is very strong, smooth well balanced and will take a capacity increase to 400cc-421 cc without any trouble, with a stiff strong frame handling is great and the jap electrics Nipon denso and stanley good quality wiring connections and wiring they are about as close to being a yamaha without being one as you can get. Get the early for export model, it is recognisable by autolube mikuni and stanley lighting, the side panels have a blue planeta sport logo on them, where as the russian market sport has no autolube a chrome badge on the side panels with russian text on it and the russian type carb.

1 cant say enough good things about the Planeta sport, mine has been fantastic far better than my previous yamaha dt250mx work bike which i had for 17years .
The ps 350 has done 120 000 miles in my ownership and has been reliable, only routine service parts have been needed in 15 years of hard use in all weathers. This bikes one obvious fault is the lack of a decent front brake the stock drum brake is not ideal, and if you start pushing this bike hard in the hills you start to find out real quick it so needs a disk brake.
The 400cc upgrade is worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #9
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow! such knowlegde about these bikes.. they are very rare over here..
I tried to ge some info over russian youtube movies but the cyrillic is a bit of a problem..
Spare parts might be a problem?
With a 'normal 'izh planeta, is 100km/h cruising possible?
if not with the twin?

I can imagine that the palneta is more low-torquey revving for the russian bad roads, and the jupiter for tarmac cruising..?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #10
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

The sport is quite a flexible motor, good smooth power delivery as standard and never seems to stop pulling if anything it lacks gears, but i just let it scream and it never seems to do any harm. Cant tell you what RPM it does as it has no rev counter. But it will do 90mph and gets there quick for a 1970s bike. Its no RD350LC but it is a match for the any of the Yamaha R5Fs i had back in the day, with a better chassis and suspension. The stock big handlebars want changing for a set of 38inch straights / Drag bars and this simple mod helps across the board I dropped my forks in the yokes a little but other than that its a stock chassis.
That forum has lots of info on these things, tuning expansion chamber sizes other engine mods electrical mods on the Russian made bikes latter clock instals , lots of info, google translate is your friend its not perfect English but its readable enough.
They are quite rare but i have a few of them i got over the years and i just kept buying them as they turned up, got them as spares, silly thing is apart from smashed headlights tail lights the odd leaver or cable now and again, i have not realy needed any major parts in fact i built my 400cc engine up with my bike running a spare engine i bought back in 1999 about a year after i got the bike just never needed anything off it.
In fact i started a trials ISDT style project last summer bassed on the surplus of sports i got laid about in various states of disrepair
got started but winter and my getting an old BMW R45 ( my new work bike) stopped work on it for a few months, should get back to it after April.
Plenty of sports out there if you look but people seem to be asking a strong price these days especially in europe, I like Planeta sports but do not know if i like them @ 1950 eros saw one a wile ago . And i just searched out the old add.

http://www.hpmotoren.nl/alle-motoren...___3503_NL_836
Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
altf4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
hi

http://www.izh-49.de offers some infos on the early models - if you can hack your way through german that is...

and here is a friend's write up on his experience with both a jupiter and a planeta, the former abandoned in favour of the latter: http://3d4you.de/izh/izh_main.html

friends of mine have/had some izhs - observing the bikes over the years i came to the conclusion that the planetas are much easier to live with than the jupiters...
the izh 49 is a dream bike of mine, btw...one day...

regards, max ~:)
altf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the link.. i am Dutch so german is no problem for me.
It seems that a twin has much better performance at cruising speed(on the road, i can imagine on the terrain, with sidecar the single is better) and less vibration, so why ist it less?
is it true the connection between the crankshaft parts is too flimsy?
Anyway, i will chck out the links!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #13
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://3d4you.de/izh/motor2.html
Well, here shows the clutch terrible wear in short mileage! also the crankshaft bearings were broken..That's terrible! even with dnepr i did not encounter this..
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 AM   #14
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

AltF4 Is right the singles are more robust than the jupiter twins, these were a more fragile engine from what i have read on various foums. I have never owned a twin but rode one at the dragon rally about ten years ago, the short run on hat bike showed it to be gutless and lacking torque compared to the PS sport, t felt more ponderous too, on handling and although i obviously did not weigh the bike i am guessing it was heavier too.
Seemed to need a lot of RPMs to get any kind of response from it at all and when it did decide to wake up it was time to change up a gear and everything died again until it got the revs up again. It was a drudge to ride and yet stood still it sounded like it had lots of fun to offer, more yamaha air cooled than villiers 2T and 4T in sound. But quite franky i would rather have an old villiers two stroke twin than a jupiter any day and they have only 250cc capacity compared to the jupiters 350. In the two strokes i feel the singles are a better option, and think they offer the best chance to be practical long term bikes, my sport as i said as been fantastic and i thrash it to within and inch of its miserable life everyday but it never shows any ill effects. OK i accept Yamaha had more than a advisory position on these power plants there being made in japan and all but the rusians were involved too dont forget that.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #15
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm maybe that jupiter was worn out? or you might be spoiled by the power of your bike..