Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1464 View Post
OK, here we go, also for all of the scaremongers out there in cyberspace (and on this forum) who tried to convince me that shipping by ocean would end up being a disaster, and/or enormous bribes would have to be paid in Thailand, and/or the bike would never arrive, or would be eaten up by salt water spray, and so on, and so forth....

A
1. Shipping broker: ACCORD EXPRESS LINES, San Francisco CA. Mike Ansari.
2. Trucking from Chicago-Long Beach CA/Los Angeles: BRENNAN/VANGUARD.
3. Ocean shipping: VANGUARD. On board of OOCL "Luxembourg" (2010), China.
4. Agent in Bangkok: VANGUARD Thailand.
5. Trucking from Laemg Chabang harbour to Bangkok warehouse: VANGUARD Thailand.
6. U-Haul truck from Chicago crating company to shipper in Chicago (self).

B
Tracking
All international container vessels can be tracked real-time here:
http://new.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/477738600

C
Prep:
The bike was only minimally disassembled, I only took the wind shield off, disconnected the battery and reduced amount of fuel in the tank (front/rear tires, brakes etc. untouched, panniers on bike, locked). Other nonsense like COMPLETELY draining fuel, or oil, didn't happen. The bike was shrink wrapped completely. The Touratech/BMW alu panniers were taped.

D
Crate dimensions and weight:
453 kilogramms, 4.79 m3 volume (169.50 cuft.) The panniers were fully loaded, the helmet and some other gear were in a box, loose, inside the crate.

E
Cost:
(Items 1-5) $845, plus $110 Document and handling in Bangkok, $15 wharfage in Bangkok warehouse, $1.50 ramp fee at warehouse.

F
Not included:
Crate (heat treated, stamped) by Cratetech in Chicago ($450), Insurance (Total loss only) $220 (optional), $25 FedEx Title back from Customs Long Beach to Chicago. ($35) Taxi from downtown Bangkok to Bangkok warehouse, about 6 hours total, including wait time at warehouse, customs etc. Anf the cost of my flight, of course.

G
Customs in Thailand:
$0

H
Time:
The bike arrived almost exactly on time, in fact it was two days early, but due to a Thai national holiday (Chulalongkorn Day), the warehouse was closed.

I
Condition, damage:
When the warehouse workers in Bangkok opened the crate, the bike was in that shape as it was when packed in Chicago. All work at the warehouse was done by their workers, fork-lifting, uncrating, detach straps etc.)
The crate, unfortunately, is of no further use and got discarded.

Other:
Since I didn't get much good advice here I will not post.
If somebody is interested see my blog:
http://junglemoto2013-14.blogspot.com/

Glad it worked out so well for you.

But why you are being such a smartass about the whole thing, I don΄t really understand. Shipping is a process, that has many variables at play each time. Seafreight is more vulnerable to delays, and if your shipment gets delayed, it is likely to be a much longer delay, than when sent by air. Also airports are in general easier to deal with, than seaports.

I΄ve done one major shipping by sea, from Australia to Finland, and otherwise it went quite well, but the shipment missed a change of vessel in Singapore. So I waited 3 more weeks. This was most likely something, that the shipper I had used in Australia, could do nothing about. It does not happen every time, but it really seems to be quite common with seafreight (to be delayed days or weeks), so to be warned about this possibility, is still good advice IMO. How big of a problem it could be, depends on your plans – when I sent out of Oz, it was the end of my trip, so did not really matter. Having an extra 3-week delay in the middle of the trip, and especially if you end up waiting in some more expensive country, could be a different story.

Anyway, I wish you a memorable and safe journey.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #17
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Glad you made it fine and enjoy your riding over here.

I thought sea freight would be markedly cheaper. My air freighted bike from Los Angles to Bangkok was $1100. Only a couple hundred more, though I'm hoping mine is a lot smaller crate than your BMW.

Before enclosing the crate:

Arrival at the airport in BKK.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #18
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I thought sea freight would be markedly cheaper. My air freighted bike from Los Angles to Bangkok was $1100.
If that sum really includes everything, then it is a very good price for airfreight across the Pacific IMO (and I would not even think about seafreight, if I could send by air at that price!)
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
And $300 for having it crated.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote