Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Oddometer: 234
One whole can of orange. Actually its original Kubota orange, but close enough..

I pulled the clutch housing/cover off to reseal and discovered the main crankcase drive gear nut was loose - you can see the gouge in the cover from the nut. Good thing I decided to reseal everything, woulda missed that...

CrazyD2.0 screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 04:28 PM
CrazyD2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #32
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD2.0 View Post
I pulled the clutch housing/cover off to reseal and discovered the main crankcase drive gear nut was loose - you can see the gouge in the cover from the nut. Good thing I decided to reseal everything, woulda missed that...
Going to be a sweet bike! I rode my friend's KTM back in the early eighties and it was an great machine. My brother had an old KTM which he loved, then sold it. Now he wants another one. Went to the dealer yesterday to pick up some parts for my old YZ - was drooling all over the new KTM's. They still make some AWESOME 2-strokes. Does YamaKawaHonSuki even make 2-strokes any more?
Taking my bike apart I found a loose front sprocket, probably wouldn't have been a disaster, but I put the torque to it with some blue locktite, too:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #33
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Very nice bike, looking forward for any progress.
As already mentioned by the other member here, a rebuild as close as possible to the original condition is the best way to go.

Sadly KTM's don't share the same price range when classic like Maicos.
The next thing are spares, these are expensive.

I aldo have just rebuild a KTM, still some work to do, ..., the higher costs didn't stop me rebuilding it, it's a passion. And if you don't get the money out now when trying selling it, you will get more in a couple of years. The selling and finding the right new owner will take some time.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,479
Whats the bar stock welded to the frame for?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

My friend Lenny, who owned the bike since he was a teen, says he beat the crap out of the machine, hence the weld repairs to the frame. He added those pieces for added strength, I'm assuming, so I decided to leave them on. So far I've got all that I need for the engine re-assembly, so time permitting this week, I should get that done. Then I'll give it a coat of aluminum etching primer and a silver coat of paint before I remount it to the frame. I'm working on positive thinking, that everything will go perfect and once stuff goes back together, I won't have to take it apart again....

Except for the rear suspension and front fork assy - I'll get that mounted to the frame so I can at least sit astride the bike and kick-start the engine and get it to run. As we all know projects always go as planned, once the motor shows its not gonna toss its cookies on me, then off come the suspension for some cleanup. Forks need new seals and oil, rear shocks need replacing, new chain and sprocket set - not sure about the brakes yet. Already got the carb together (still can't find an air filter tho), and of course new rubber. July 6th we go camping to Sugar Lake near Vernon, BC - That will be the week the KTM returns to life!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Try UNI-Filter for a foam air cleaner. They make a heck of a lot of odd stuff.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Great - I'll check out that source. I'm also trying to find the rubber carb mount that joins the carb to the engine intake adapter - I might have to go to some custom hose for that....
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Great - I'll check out that source. I'm also trying to find the rubber carb mount that joins the carb to the engine intake adapter - I might have to go to some custom hose for that....

A piece of radiator hose or Sudco in CA.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

I thought about using radiator hose - but was thinking that fuel/oil would deteriorate it in fairly short order. I was going to look into some low-pressure hydraulic hose, something that can be fairly flexible/easy to seal with hose clamps.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Love the updates. That frame is really cool looking
Old 03-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Was going to get the engine reassembled this week, however going out for dinner, sending oldest son to Australia/New Zealand on his school's rugby tour, Mrs Crazy's birthday dinner, and then discovering I had received 2 lower piston rings instead of a lower and upper ring has delayed that progress. No biggie - still have 4 months to go.

I sent UNI-Filter an email requesting info on supply - not a peep! Same for that suggestion about the KTM racer/dealer link suggested earlier - no response. One would think they'd at least respond a simple yes/no....
Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Was going to get the engine reassembled this week, however going out for dinner, sending oldest son to Australia/New Zealand on his school's rugby tour, Mrs Crazy's birthday dinner, and then discovering I had received 2 lower piston rings instead of a lower and upper ring has delayed that progress. No biggie - still have 4 months to go.

I sent UNI-Filter an email requesting info on supply - not a peep! Same for that suggestion about the KTM racer/dealer link suggested earlier - no response. One would think they'd at least respond a simple yes/no....
Try André Horvath in Austria for parts, one of the best ressources to get parts for these KTM machines.

http://www.enduroklassiker.at/artike...x.php?&lang=en
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #43
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Whoa! Nice find, that! Thank You much...
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Cleaned up the steering head bearings and re-assembled the front and rear suspension (temporarily). Engine has been reassembled and just going through the process of timing the magneto/ignition system.

Also gave the fuel tank a coat of fusion paint spray - had gone all yellow as can be seen in the first picture posted. Now at least it looks original white. Updates to follow...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #45
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGRIFF View Post
1981 250 Black ignition cover Sachs engine, Probably MX, lovely bike I'm sure will be a real pain getting bits but good luck, I'd like it in my garage.
Sachs engine? No its a KTM engine.
Penton's had Sachs engines but that was early 70's.

I had a 79 420 that looked much like that,also a twin shock 495.
Either was very hard to wear out,the stock piston is forged and lasts a really long time,I wouldnt toss out the piston that's in it unless its ruined.
They are set up at loose tolerance due to the forged piston expanding more at running temperature. 6 0r 7 thousandths clearance if I remember rightly.

They are fun smooth running bikes,easy to ride and win races on when I had one. Parts are a little hard to find just gotta hunt around.