ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
snoobar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
snoobar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas/ Henderson (formally Honolulu, Hawaii)
Oddometer: 107
Scored a '96 DR!! The search is OVER!!

Just scored this today from a guy out in Northern Arizona.

It's a 1996 DR650 with 8K on the clock. Every service record, part receipt and original user manuals have been kept. This bike has just been hanging out on craigslist for months with no one taking a serious look at it.

Has some upgrades (skid plate, FMF exhaust, stiffer front fork springs etc etc)

Anyway, this piggy has a new home and I am excited to get it registered and ready to ride!

Here are some pics.



snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,036
Love was right before my eyes...."



Great looking bike snoobar!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
snoobar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
snoobar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas/ Henderson (formally Honolulu, Hawaii)
Oddometer: 107
Thanks Ricky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Love was right before my eyes...."



Great looking bike snoobar!
snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 58
that thing looks like it rolled right out off dealer floor. i love seeing bikes that have some years on them and still look like new. good for you, enjoy!
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good
 
Off the grid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: That buzzing in your earhole, NorCal.
Oddometer: 9,506
Not a bad looking 20-year old bike.
__________________
Wedding(s) = $30,000
Divorce(s) = $25,000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS = Priceless
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,798
Keep after that chain tension. Looks like it could be tight.

Nice bike. My 97 did over 80,000 miles and drug me all over the country.

Nice Vanagon too.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
el capitan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 49
Congrats to your new bike! I bought such a 96er in 2010 with 7.891 kms on the speedo. Still bone dry with the paper gasket. And equipped with the dampened starter gears, so it saves you the hassle of replacing those parts (necessary on 97 and 98 models).
Just have a look for the upper chain roller. If its still there, be glad and take it out. Mine had done this long ago on his own ...
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by el capitan View Post
Congrats to your new bike! I bought such a 96er in 2010 with 7.891 kms on the speedo. Still bone dry with the paper gasket. And equipped with the dampened starter gears, so it saves you the hassle of replacing those parts (necessary on 97 and 98 models).
Just have a look for the upper chain roller. If its still there, be glad and take it out. Mine had done this long ago on his own ...
The starter gear issue was 98-99 models.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
jessepitt
Ride More
 
jessepitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond Oregon
Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Keep after that chain tension. Looks like it could be tight.

Nice bike. My 97 did over 80,000 miles and drug me all over the country.

Nice Vanagon too.

+1 That chain looks too tight to me also.


Great find, my first DR was '99 that I got with 8k on the clock as well. It was somewhere over 40k when I traded it. I enjoyed my first one so much I went and got another, kinda nice that you can go buy the same bike brand new many years later, even if its a dinosaur. You will love that thing!
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Soldier311
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Oddometer: 877
Congrats!

I'm still in the early learning stages with my DR that I just got a couple of weeks ago.
Head on over to the DR350 thread and look around.
__________________
"It's more fun to ride a slow girl fast than a fast girl slow."
1999 DR350SEX
Soldier311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,798
If you need any help working on the bike, need help with valve adjustments, dynojet kit install, etc., shoot me a pm. I am in southwest Vegas.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
snoobar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
snoobar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas/ Henderson (formally Honolulu, Hawaii)
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
+1 That chain looks too tight to me also.


Great find, my first DR was '99 that I got with 8k on the clock as well. It was somewhere over 40k when I traded it. I enjoyed my first one so much I went and got another, kinda nice that you can go buy the same bike brand new many years later, even if its a dinosaur. You will love that thing!
jessepitt: got the chain tension squared away first thing thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
If you need any help working on the bike, need help with valve adjustments, dynojet kit install, etc., shoot me a pm. I am in southwest Vegas.


Thanks brianwheelies! I will most definitely keep that in mind and I'll shoot you a PM.
snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
AJay112
AJay112
 
AJay112's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 1,436
Congrats !

Nice, nice find !

Those Tag bars are money.

(Now go get a real helmet )
__________________
><>
Coming to a Starbucks near you
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar View Post

Now the search starts for a new helmet!
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
I'm still in the early learning stages with my DR that I just got a couple of weeks ago.
Head on over to the DR350 thread and look around.

That is a 650 yo.
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014