User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
xcmh font/mt 43 rear on both my husaberg 450fe and my ktm 250 xc

favorite combo for pretty much everything from dualsporting my husaberg to racing the snowshoe GNCC on my katoom
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
Some of the guys in my group are running the trials tires on the rear - some are racing offroad with them around here and doing well. But, those tires look like they are a challenge when it's muddy and slick. We had an extreme hill climb the other day on a trail ride and the guys on trials tires couldn't make it - and those riders are typically good hill climbers.

Question - If you run the same exact dirt tires front and back, how much longer do you think the front tires last compared top the rear?

mikem9 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:52 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
I normally run a scorpion pro up front and a mt43 on the rear.
The trials tire lasts way longer than a knobby and works until its wore down where a knobby is done long before its worn out.
An mt43 generally lasts me around 2k miles, the only knobby I've had do that was a Mitas c20. Most of them a few hundred and they're done.
Normally at least two two one ratio on tire wear with knobbies.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Thanks all. Never heard that term "mullet" for tires but I assume you mean more aggressive dirt tire on the front and longer lasting dual-sport tire on the back?

I've tried MT-21's and Dunlop 606 before. They just don't seem to offer enough grip (on front) for the kind of riding my buddies do. It's kind of an Enduro or Harescrambles, almost race pace type of riding on trails. I'm wondering if I could run a more dirt oriented tire on the front (XCMS Pirelli, Michelin S-12, Dunlop Geomax 51) and then run a little less agressive dirt tire on the back: MT - 21 etc maybe? For those who ride the more race oriented dirtbikes have you tried something like this?

Or maybe i need to go with more dual sport, longer lasting tires and just become a better rider in the slop!

thanks for your thoughts all!
Even the Sand Snake lasts a few pavement miles on the front, even if it squirms in turns, and it makes a D606 front look like a touring tire. Focused tires like this BITE into the terrain they're designed for. I definitely notice a difference when the ground gets soft, compared to the stock TW41 or the better Shinko 244 compromise tire.

As long as you're not racking up huge pavement miles, use a front that is aggressive and appropriate for the offroad terrain you typically ride, and then just take it easy when on the pavement. Even a gummy knob up front can last a while if not abused on pavement, while a gummy rear vaporizes quickly. The rear also seems easier to control if traction isn't exactly the best, while poor traction in the front can put you down almost without warning, so don't compromise on front traction. Focus on the most appropriate front tires, for your terrain, that are still in your comfortable price range.

For the rear, just find an affordable and long-lasting tire that can propel the bike in your terrain of choice. A K761 may not have much lateral traction offroad, but it'll push my DR through some seriously soft terrain if I can just stay on the gas. In contrast, most mild treads don't self-clean well in mud, even when spun up. Other terrains can be more forgiving of mild rears. For these reasons, I focus more on miles/$ when buying rear tires.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #20
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Just starting to get into off road, but based on some questions and a bad experience with a MT43 trials tire in the mud, I have a Trakmaster rear and Sedona MX887IT front. The Sedona is not a DOT tire. This is on a WR250R.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of them. I wonder where they are made and if they last long enough to do adventure rides on a Yam Wr250R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I have been using Kings tires on my KTM 640 Adventure, and I love 'em!

They last a really long time, provide excellent traction, and are low priced (I should be riding a KLR). They are also DOT approved.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #22
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,459
yeah, those Kings tires look interesting, but i can't find anyone who carries them?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #23
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
Kenda K270 is the worst tire I've ever put on a motorcycle..neither good on road or off! Cheap yes, but after the first 100-200 miles worn like you won't believe. Absolutely no traction offroad! And, they were mounted on a DR650.
air down to 10-12 psi, or find some talent. i have to air down myself

best combo i've found on a drz so far for offroad is plane ole geomax fr/rr.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
air down to 10-12 psi, or find some talent. i have to air down myself

best combo i've found on a drz so far for offroad is plane ole geomax fr/rr.
+1 on airing down. The 270 rear tire is the best all around tire I've found. I suspect those guys that are running trials tires would find more traction with the 270 as the tread is just as soft as the trials tire yet the knob spacing is more suited to sandy situations. The soft tread really shines on hard pan dirt roads also giving more traction than say a Trackmaster 2 on surfaces that are med to hard, and the soft sidewall compensates for sandy conditions. I find also that the 270 can go off road even at 20# of air where I had to use 18-# on the Trackmaster2 to get the traction consistent. The front 270 is also great if you use the 3.25/21 but lacks tread depth. The sidewall seems soft enough to allow decent traction in sand until the tread is worn to 75% or so. I often wonder when someone gives a report on there likes or dislikes of a tire if they adjust the air pressure for differing situations. It seems many DS riders are afraid to lower the air pressure into the teens, and I find that necessary on even on my DR650 for optimum offroad use. The Trackmasters were especially susceptible to wrong air pressure but performed as expected in the dirt when I lowered them down. Also any tire is subject to air pressure based on the weight of the bike. A KTM 450 is going to give a different feel than a KLR for the same tire and satisfaction is very subject to the pressure needed to hold the bike off the rim. I have also ran Pirelli MT 21's and found them slippery up front for med. to hard terrain. But there again air pressure can alleviate even the worst conditions to some degree. I ran those Kings when they were available but can no longer find them either. I don't consider how a knob tire will perform on road for my riding decisions but I find any tire works better at 25+# on pavement. I have a road orriented motorcycle that I use for that.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
+1 on airing down........... I often wonder when someone gives a report on there likes or dislikes of a tire if they adjust the air pressure for differing situations. It seems many DS riders are afraid to lower the air pressure into the teens, and I find that necessary on even on my DR650 for optimum offroad use.
Good point. When we are riding more dirt oriented dual-sporting around here on our 450's etc. We typically run anywhere between 11psi and 15psi on our dirt oriented knobbies, depending on the conditions that day. Muddy days, closer to 11. Personally, I never go higher than 13psi around here. If I ride the roads all the way to the trails, I'll probably go up quite a bit for the road section. When we were riding trails out West in the Rockies, most of my group was running around 15psi.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of them. I wonder where they are made and if they last long enough to do adventure rides on a Yam Wr250R.
I run them on my KTM 640 Adventure, and they easily last 3-4k miles. I normally ride 30% pavement and 70% dirt.

I have tried Dunlop 606's, Pirelli MT-21's, and Metzler Karoo II's...I have found the Kings both out perform and outlast all of them.

They should last forever on a smaller bike like yours.

Just be warned, they have a very stiff carcass, and can be a bear to mount.
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
yeah, those Kings tires look interesting, but i can't find anyone who carries them?....
I order mine from Motorcycle Superstore...they are currently on sale!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
+1 on airing down. The 270 rear tire is the best all around tire I've found. I suspect those guys that are running trials tires would find more traction with the 270 as the tread is just as soft as the trials tire yet the knob spacing is more suited to sandy situations. The soft tread really shines on hard pan dirt roads also giving more traction than say a Trackmaster 2 on surfaces that are med to hard, and the soft sidewall compensates for sandy conditions. I find also that the 270 can go off road even at 20# of air where I had to use 18-# on the Trackmaster2 to get the traction consistent. The front 270 is also great if you use the 3.25/21 but lacks tread depth. The sidewall seems soft enough to allow decent traction in sand until the tread is worn to 75% or so. I often wonder when someone gives a report on there likes or dislikes of a tire if they adjust the air pressure for differing situations. It seems many DS riders are afraid to lower the air pressure into the teens, and I find that necessary on even on my DR650 for optimum offroad use. The Trackmasters were especially susceptible to wrong air pressure but performed as expected in the dirt when I lowered them down. Also any tire is subject to air pressure based on the weight of the bike. A KTM 450 is going to give a different feel than a KLR for the same tire and satisfaction is very subject to the pressure needed to hold the bike off the rim. I have also ran Pirelli MT 21's and found them slippery up front for med. to hard terrain. But there again air pressure can alleviate even the worst conditions to some degree. I ran those Kings when they were available but can no longer find them either. I don't consider how a knob tire will perform on road for my riding decisions but I find any tire works better at 25+# on pavement. I have a road orriented motorcycle that I use for that.
+1 I run 18lbs of pressure in the back and about 20 in front everywhere. The tire does all around good for me. You can find a better knobby or street tire. This tire works good all around with the right tire pressure. I first rode it with full air and it rode like crap. Slippin and sliddin on dirt and asphalt. Take the air down and they grip. Best of all they are fairly cheap. I heard the shinko 244 is like the kenda 270 but better? Havnt tried it yet. Anyone know about the 244 from experience?

dolphins13 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 12:28 PM Reason: add a question
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
That Kings Tire 963 sure looks like a Cheng Shin C760 which is also a long wearing tire with excellent traction.

"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I order mine from Motorcycle Superstore...they are currently on sale!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
I started to order a rear for my DR...then noticed their sale price is $79.99 for the 5.10-18, but Kings' MSRP is only $54.94.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200 EXC
'82 GS650G
http://www.bikepics.com/members/kwb377/
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote