Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Rekluse Auto Clutch for the 8GS .... How it is installed.

Whoooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......... It have been a looooooooooong road, but we are now here. After over a year of testing, I would like to be the first to inform you that the Rekluse auto clutch will release in limited quantities at the end of May.... I got so excited I interrupted dinner, but will be back in a moment, with more details.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Rekluse

So how long should it take a mechanic with 40 years experience(not me!....I wish!) who has installed a dozen Rekluse on other bikes? I'm assuming we need to replace the gasket? Anything else that is involved?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

I want to start with addressing a few questions that have been asked in the other Rekluse thread. One in particular is very valid.
Longevity..... It is a concern to anyone making major modifications to your bike, that it will hold up, right. Well, as some, perhaps many of you have prior Rekluse experience, there have been a general concern ( which you can see by google'ing the subject. You will find that the little tungsten ball that the weights rolled on, when the EXP expanded, had a tendency to dig itself into the EXP billet part. Many riders were not happy with this. I did not have the prototype long enough to see any detriment in that matter, but I did see some vibrations, that I contribute to the indentations that was made by the little balls, as the weights were slung outward, as the EXP engaged.

That was at the time their current version for all EXP's.
Then they launched their EXP 3.0 which utilized small teflon pads, as friction medium, and the vibes simply went away.

Here is one of the weights that rides on the ramp, thus expanding the EXP due to centrifugal force, as rpm is increased.

It now is a fantastic, precise, and predictable auto clutch, that Rekluse is now releasing in Late May. They are launching another product in the beginning of May, and with that the new technology is revealed, which after I will add pictures, and a complete install video.

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
So how long should it take a mechanic with 40 years experience(not me!....I wish!) who has installed a dozen Rekluse on other bikes? I'm assuming we need to replace the gasket? Anything else that is involved?
I have had my cover off about 15 times, and have yet to replace the gasket. It is a good idea to have one ready, in case you rip the stock. I bought a spare before installing the first one, but have yet to need it. I can do the complete R&R in about 30 minutes, from the time, I tip the bike up against the wall, like so......

And until I fire her up. If you watch my complete install video, it has all the info needed, and I will say anyone that can read, and have a torque wrench, and the other tools available, can do this in about 1-2 hrs, and most of that time really is gasping for air calming oneself down looking into the deep, of the engine, whilst calming oneself down with a mild tranquilizer, such as a fermented, hopped beverage.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 06:53 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rekluse is trying to gauge the demand at release, so post away here, or better yet, call them. I have been asked if there would be a group buy. I would like to right now steer all those questions in that regard, to my PM, as if you begin cluttering this thread with Group buy questions, it will most likely get moved to vendors section, which is where they belongs, so lets respect the site rules, and keep that in PM format, and when and if it goes, I will start a thread in the vendors section for that purpose.

I am planning to attend the Overland Expo in Flagstaff,AZ, May 16-18,where I will gladly do a show and tell for any fellow 8GS riders that think they want one, but are not really sure.

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Can you briefly describe what an auto clutch does and the benefits of it for some of the less knowledgeable?
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

In the meantime, I would like to offer a few of the videos, I have done with the rekluse. They have a variety of different terrain, but to summarize it all in a few words. This bike should come with this as an option from the factory. It really is that simple.
">

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

">

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Do they make one for a KLR?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

And all the rest......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxTvaFJXAxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AybUnq4YfKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KidKJAyyX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIb9NOmyQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5JEx37TF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWBb0cdQVFY

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Do they make one for a KLR?
Not yet.......

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
So - I went one tooth smaller in the front because of issues and I can see going back up one tooth with the auto clutch (assuming I could actually pull off an install). The would lower the RPMs back to normal at highway cruising speeds which would be kind of nice on long hauls.

The thing I worry about up here with the San Juans is the engine braking will pretty much go away and some of that stuff is steep as you know. Would have to get better at braking while weight is to the rear of the bike. It's kind of odd staying back and using the rear brake. Front, no problem as that's where most of the action is.

Also, where is this Old Red Mtn. Pass road in one of your vids? I thought it was heading off 550 to US Basin but can't tell for sure. Nice looking road that I will have to hit come late June.

Thanks Erling for your work on this project.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
So - I went one tooth smaller in the front because of issues and I can see going back up one tooth with the auto clutch (assuming I could actually pull off an install). The would lower the RPMs back to normal at highway cruising speeds which would be kind of nice on long hauls.

The thing I worry about up here with the San Juans is the engine braking will pretty much go away and some of that stuff is steep as you know. Would have to get better at braking while weight is to the rear of the bike. It's kind of odd staying back and using the rear brake. Front, no problem as that's where most of the action is.

Also, where is this Old Red Mtn. Pass road in one of your vids? I thought it was heading off 550 to US Basin but can't tell for sure. Nice looking road that I will have to hit come late June.

Thanks Erling for your work on this project.
You and me both share or should I say shared the concern, of the clutch staying engaged on the steep downhills. The #2 video is titled the Hill climb. It is not very noticeable, but it has an average of 35% slope, with a mid, and to section od about 45% incline. You can see that as I come to a stop the bike begins to roll backwards with front and rear locked, until it hits a small rock and stops. The descend that follows gives you a good indication of what to expect. Obviously too fast for Black bear down to Telluride, but as I will ride that on the 8GS this summer, I hope, the EXP can be tuned, and tweaked so unless you go below 1500 rpms, it will stay engaged. I have done enough steep 45% ups, and down with this to bless it for those grades. That said, if you freak out on Black Bear ( on the steps) and hit your rear brake, the engine will go to idle, not stalling, and jarring you off on the left. At that point it is a safety measure. I went up Kendal mountain last summer/fall, and that road is as bad as it gets, with very steep sections, with boulders everywhere, and the 8GS was perfect on the ups and downs.

The old Red mountain road, you catch from 550, as you pass the ophir pass road on the left, coming from Silverton, just a minute or so later on the right, is a turn up with a few switchies. It spits ya back out on 550 opposing the turn off to Black bear, and then you spin another minute on 550 north, then first dirt exit on right, takes you through the old mines..... very cool indeed.

The engine drag, is a valid concern, but I can say, as I am a borderline trials rider, on the mountain bike side, I am not one plowing through boulders, at high speed. I enjoy a transonic regime, where there is time to look at things, maneuver the bike, because the suspension dictates it, and with such, I can assure you that there is plenty engagement all the way down to 1500, the way I have mine set up.

Just today we had a train derail down here on the border. It sat the desert on fire, and roads were blocked off. Off I go in a rutted, rocky steep in, and out storm wash. Just a breeze with the clutch. You thinking about looking down to the overland expo in Flagstaff..... I'l let you try it.

Erling
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
Thanks mister. I have thought about the AZ fling but wifey will be gone and someone else at work has those days. I am thinking that I might could work remote from somewhere down there and get it all in that way. Have to line up a house sitter for the pups but I think I can arrange that. Doing it that way I would have to trailer down but it would be nice if I could bribe my way to a short ride. I remember you saying how much fun you had on Kendall last summer. BB pass - I would ride down that on my MTB but a 500 pound piglet, not so sure. Maybe I'll grow some 'nads by July and RMAR.

I was pretty sure it was US Basin and then saw the St. Paul lodge when you came down and all was recognized from BC skiing up there. Loads of turns to be had so long as you like uphills. Thank you sir.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Thanks mister. I have thought about the AZ fling but wifey will be gone and someone else at work has those days. I am thinking that I might could work remote from somewhere down there and get it all in that way. Have to line up a house sitter for the pups but I think I can arrange that. Doing it that way I would have to trailer down but it would be nice if I could bribe my way to a short ride. I remember you saying how much fun you had on Kendall last summer. BB pass - I would ride down that on my MTB but a 500 pound piglet, not so sure. Maybe I'll grow some 'nads by July and RMAR.

I was pretty sure it was US Basin and then saw the St. Paul lodge when you came down and all was recognized from BC skiing up there. Loads of turns to be had so long as you like uphills. Thank you sir.
Yeppers...... Well..... If we dont try it out at the expo, then grap one, and Il help ya install it at RMAR..... whoop whoop.

Erling