Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Corvidcee OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KTM LC4 no spark? HELP!?

G'day,

I posted this on KTMTalk and got very little/no replies.. Can a guru here help? Put me out of my misery.

As per the title, I have no spark on the LC4. Here is what I have fault Found so far.

Ignition Coil:
I was worried I had a faulty Ignition Coil, So I removed the white/blue coil wire and ran 12v to it, I go a spark so I assume all is actually ok here, leading me to believe that its not recieving any current to spark.

Pulsor Coil:
So, I havent pulled the generator cover off (because its a mission) but I have checked its resistance, I am recieving 100ohms, which according to the manual and a few threads I have read is well within the threshold of acceptable.

On KTM Talk someone suggested the kill switch may be faulty.. However I dont see how this can ring true since the bike will turn over with the starter.. I just get no spark at all...

Please help if you can, I am all out of ideas and frankly I cant afford to take this to a dealer.. My wife rang me tonight to let me know she was stuck at a car park in our car with brake fluid pissing everywhere..

So the world is poo'ing on me at the moment! I need a nice change :)

Thanks Fellas'

Lyle
Corvidcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,187
try clipping off a small slice on the end of the plug wire and clean up inside of the housing/screw..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Corvidcee OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
try clipping off a small slice on the end of the plug wire and clean up inside of the housing/screw..
Thanks for the suggestion, its a good idea. however, when I tested the ignition coil I ran 12 volts to it with a plug in the plug cap and got a decent spark, I also tested cont. through both ends and its fine.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,766
Pull the plug to the CDI and check the cluster of wires going into it... These have a habit of chafing over time and may eventually wear through...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Corvidcee OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Pull the plug to the CDI and check the cluster of wires going into it... These have a habit of chafing over time and may eventually wear through...
Ive checked these.. no probs.. All looks good.. check continuity through the block of wires from one side to the other and all connections check out..

Im officially stumped
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,766
Luke is the go to guy on electronics...

The CDI could be faulty or your Stator... I would pull the side cover and have a look at the condition of the stator... It could be that some debris from the flywheel or elsewhere has torn things up under there... You only need to remove four bolts, seperate the gaskets hold and the stator is in your hand... all of 5 minutes...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 07:12 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
trailcutter

Oddometer: 183
h

def check the cdi contacts,,,have seen this b4 ,particularly when going from very hot day temps to very cold night temps,,in same day,confirm integrity of each male /female contact...
Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
What year/model is this LC4? If it's 2003 or newer then the stator has no effect on spark (until the battery runs down). The CDI gets it's power from the battery through a bunch of switches. On the '02 and earlier bikes the orange wire at the CDI has the power. If your bike's newer, check the wiring diagram to figure out which one it is. Look for 12v there. If it's not getting power then check your wiring- including the safety switches.

If the CDI is getting power, listen for the flyback. With power going to the CDI it should create a very faint whining sound like a tube TV. I don't know if that is a good test, but it's easy to do. Also check the pulse generator. With an AC voltmeter you should get something (between a fraction of a volt and a couple of volts) from the pulser coil when the bike is cranking.

Checking the coil with the battery is a good idea. However, I'd suggest that in the future you use some sort of ballast- like a 10 ohm resistor or a turn signal sized light bulb. The coils for a CDI ignition aren't designed to take continuous current from a battery the way points ignition coils are and they can burn out quickly.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I

+1... I've found a broken wire just behind a bullet connector in here before...something to check
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidcee View Post
Ive checked these.. no probs.. All looks good.. check continuity through the block of wires from one side to the other and all connections check out..

Im officially stumped
Corvidcee, I'm having a very similar problem in this thread, and just happened across your issue from 2010. What was the outcome of your investigation?