User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
GSA OEM Fog Light to Dually D2's conversion

Edit: I found the connector type (Deutsch DT06-2s) which I plan to solder up to an H11 connector to create my own adapter and swap out the OEM fog lights....

So I just purchased a set of Rigid Dually D2's from Black Dog Cycle Works and I'm interesting in installing them as a replacement for the Stock/OEM fog lights on my '12 GSA. The kicker is I'd optimally like to install them WITHOUT cutting either the BMW stock harness (so as to retain the ability to put the OEM ones back on for resale, etc.) and I really don't want to cut the leads leading to each Dually D2. I'm trying to find out what connector type is used on the Dually D2 and/or the standard Dually wiring harness included in the packaging?

I know the BMW OEM Fog light harness has an H11 bulb connector so if I can figure out what type of connector the Dually's use on the LED's I figure I may be able to build/solder a simple adapter (H11 Female to a Male Dually connector) and job done? At least that's the plan in theory... dumb idea?

I spent an hour + last night searching this forum and it appears that MANY people have replaced the OEM's with D2's AND used the stock fog lamp switch to activate... the problem is I couldn't find a single thread where anyone describes "how" they did it (and I'm not an expert in such things)

Any help regarding the connector specs OR (even better) any other guidance how to integrate these guys w/o cutting these pretty... and expensive wires... would be fantastic! Either way I can't wait to get these guys in use

Here's the connector leading to the Dually D2.

twwhitey screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 01:36 PM
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Ditto

Looking for the same info... bump this baby up and lets get some answers...

D

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
Duestec connectors. They can be had at a catapiller dealer
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Hayden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question

So, if I purchase two female connectors it will be a no-cut, plug-and-play connection? What gauge?
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Why not just mount them separately ?
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
Why not just mount them separately ?
Not sure about the others but I plan on mounting the duallys on the 1" crash bar above and behind the OEM Fog light mounts... The OEM's are mounted in a laughable location IMO and made of the plastic to boot, I've snapped a mounting ring on one in an Anza Borrego sand wash already so I'm done with them. From what I understand the duallys are plenty bright enough so the stock ones can sit in a box until I'm ready to swap em back for trade in or sale... (hence why I don't want to go chopping those fine BMW wiring harnesses)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
So, if I purchase two female connectors it will be a no-cut, plug-and-play connection? What gauge?
I had to go back and re-read what your trying to do?
I guess you can get a set of female Duestec connecters with what ever gauge wire you want (14 or 16) then assemble the plug'.
this will give you the plug to plug into your new lights leaving you wires to the other for the oem plug wich you will have to get??
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Hayden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Iron View Post
I had to go back and re-read what your trying to do?
I guess you can get a set of female Duestec connecters with what ever gauge wire you want (14 or 16) then assemble the plug'.
this will give you the plug to plug into your new lights leaving you wires to the other for the oem plug wich you will have to get??
My goal is to remove the originals, and mount the new ones using the existing wiring harness. When the bike is sold, put the originals fog lights back on and use Duallys on the next GSA.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
My goal is to remove the originals, and mount the new ones using the existing wiring harness. When the bike is sold, put the originals fog lights back on and use Duallys on the next GSA.
Yep ditto. Turns out rigid industries sells an extension wire with the correct connector on it

http://www.RigidIndustries.com/produ...rnsextlopo.htm

I plan to solder a female H11 connector to it which I'll cut from one of these Im getting off of fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360557478883...S:3160&vxp=mtr

They're both 18AWG wire I believe so I'm hoping it'll work. Either way it's reasonably inexpensive to try