User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
T.O.Adv OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Tires in Sydney, NS

Gents/Ladies, I'm doing a total noob ride to NL in a few weeks and when I take the ferry back to Sydney, I'm going to need new tires for my GSA. Is there a place in Sydney that will have (or order) tires and install them quick and cheaply?

Thanks!
T.O.Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
There are tires in Newfoundland.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
T.O.Adv OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
There are tires in Newfoundland.
Jeebus - is the whole site infected with Jo Momma-itis?

Seriously though, I'm only riding Port-Aux-Basques to Deer Lake so I assumed no options there.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I'm in Sydney. I order my tires from Dualsportplus in Ontario and install them myself. Any of the dealers in town will order them for you but I don't know what their prices will be like. I hear good thing about Larry at Woodlawn Snow and Garden in North Sydney. He is two minutes from the ferry. I have had good luck with Ramsay's Honda on Keltic Dr. in Sydney also.

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Best price wise is make it to Moncton and go to Atlantic Motorplex 383-1022 or G. Bourque 383-4585. Both are in Little Quebec, just outside Moncton and nearly side by side, take the airport exit. Both sell tires lower than most other places around I guess.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Sorry about the smart ass comment but it was just too easy.
You are a self professed total noob so my advice would be to get new tires before you leave and keep your half worn ones as spares. Riding here, or anywhere on worn tires can be a recipe for disaster.
You profess to know nothing, (see noob comment), but can tell exactly when your tires are gonna need replacement. That takes experience.
And if you still want to ride long haul on worn tires send new ones from G Bourke in NB to the repair shop in NS/NL where your ride is going to need them.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Sorry about the smart ass comment but it was just too easy.
You are a self professed total noob so my advice would be to get new tires before you leave and keep your half worn ones as spares. Riding here, or anywhere on worn tires can be a recipe for disaster.
You profess to know nothing, (see noob comment), but can tell exactly when your tires are gonna need replacement. That takes experience.
And if you still want to ride long haul on worn tires send new ones from G Bourke in NB to the repair shop in NS/NL where your ride is going to need them.
Good advice.
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,351
Out of TO, even the worst wearing tires will get you 5k if you leave with fresh ones, so good for a maritimes trip.

I left Kingston last week with my wife, and even though I was sure I had enough tire to make the trip, I spooned on fresh skins just I wouldn't have to worry about it. The peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
T.O.Adv OP
n00b

Thanks.

The advice is noted and appreciated...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Try Tabor motorcycle repair, just outside Wolfville, their prices are normal but included are installation and balancing while you wait. They might need a couple of days to get your tire in depending on brand and size so call ahead (902) 538-7919. It's a bit farther but worth it, as a bonus you also get to ride the prettiest parts of Nova Scotia.

5988 Hwy # 1, Cambridge NS
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
zeeker1
Rider

Oddometer: 28
You should try the Heidenau Scout K60. These tires should last the trip. My KTM 950 was eating rear tires every 3000 to 5000 km. I put the Heidenau on last summer, rode from Collingwood to Newfoundland and back (9000 km) and the rear was less than 2/3 rds worn. Grip is good and you should get about 12000 out of the rear, more on the front. I will not buy another type from know on.
zeeker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
I have also hear good reports about the new Metzler Keroo ll maybe. Not positive of the name but I hear the new Metzler is good, the old one wasn't too good for mileage I have heard. I get about 5,000 out of a TKC80.

If I am home, just outside Moncton, I can help you mount and balance the new rubber. I have all the stuff to do it and it would be good for you to do it yourself so you know how to do it for your next at the side of the road mis-adventure.

I think the other poster was a little hard on you in an earlier post. Could be his idea of being funny but I didn't think it was in good taste or funny. If you are new here we can stand to give you a little slack. For sure it is a good idea to start the trip on new rubber but there are nice ways to say this. If you find yourself needing rubber bad in an out of the way place it could be very expensive for you, not to mention the risk you place yourself in running bad rubber.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Best price wise is make it to Moncton and go to Atlantic Motorplex 383-1022 or G. Bourque 383-4585. Both are in Little Quebec, just outside Moncton and nearly side by side, take the airport exit. Both sell tires lower than most other places around I guess.

G Bourque. Cheapest Tires I have found in the Maritime Provinces. Order ahead of time and they will have them on hand when you need them. Be prepared: If you can't spoon them on yourself in the parking lot, be prepared to pay $30-$40 per tire for installation. (At least that's what they quoted me last time). I believe that Atlantic Motoplex (just up the street from G. Bourque) will have competitive prices to their closest competition. There is a BMW Dealer in Saint Johns, NL that has reasonable prices as well. (Radioman had some shipped to Goose Bay during his TLH trip last summer for an incredible rate - I wish I'd known about them when I blew mine in L'Anse aux Loup).

Best of luck.

But to echo the sentiment of others - be prepared when you are getting ready for trips. I never start an extended trip on the bike without an oil changes, fresh rubber and a complete tip to tip inspection. The pre-trip preparation can save you time and money in the long run. (And I know this from experience - **I** figured I had at leas the rest of the season on my chain and sprokets last summer when I left for Ottawa. I ended up in an Inmates shop with expensive new parts and needing a place to put them on because I didn't have the proper tools with me.) I will NEVER make that mistake again.

YMMV.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Adv View Post
Gents/Ladies, I'm doing a total noob ride to NL in a few weeks and when I take the ferry back to Sydney, I'm going to need new tires for my GSA. Is there a place in Sydney that will have (or order) tires and install them quick and cheaply?

Thanks!

Hey T.O....

Whyswoman, wife of PiffleMaster here - the gruesome twosome you met at the ferry waiting to go to NL, on the ferry coming back to Sydney, and once again in Ingonish...It was a treat to meet you, and I hope you enjoyed the Cabot Trail as much as we did...Did you get to Meat Cove?

We ended up getting new tires installed in Montreal - and got a good deal and excellent service - at Laval Moto (or was it Moto Laval?)...

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I posted a picture of you, PiffleMaster, and my Burgie "The Wooly Mammoth" on the Winnipeg and Surrounding Area Forum. We are doing a small fund-raising ride here tomorrow, in support of Dr Cool's wife and kids - we ADVriders gotta take care of one another...

Have a great weekend...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeker1 View Post
You should try the Heidenau Scout K60. These tires should last the trip. My KTM 950 was eating rear tires every 3000 to 5000 km. I put the Heidenau on last summer, rode from Collingwood to Newfoundland and back (9000 km) and the rear was less than 2/3 rds worn. Grip is good and you should get about 12000 out of the rear, more on the front. I will not buy another type from know on.
+1 on what he said! ^^^

I left Cold Lake, Alberta, on a set of new-ish Scorpion OEM on my 990 Adventure, and they were pooched in Montreal, after about 6000kms. Bought a fresh set of Heidenau K60 Scout, rode around Montreal for 3.5 months, rode back to Cold Lake, and I still have about 50% of tire treads left on!! And that's after 9000kms...!! Really impressed with those!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote