Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
4B1T OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Best places to look at helmets in Cowtown

Hi,

I will be down in the Calgary area (in and out from Strathmore) for the next week or so. I have been checking out some helmets online, and was wondering where the best place in Calgary was to go and try some on. I would have put a question mark there, but my computer must have taken a bump on the plane and is now putting little accent marks over everything. Great. Anyhow, I had yet to hear anything good about Blackfoot motorsports (unless things have changed in the last couple years), and I hope to avoid as much aimless driving around the city as possible, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
4B1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Blackfoot has the best selection if you just want to try stuff on and then order. Or, try it on at Blackfoot and then run across the street to Blackfoot Direct and order it from Dean. Great guy and way better service. I'm not a fan of Blackfoot myself (and especially the attitude I always seem to get there) but I've been really happy with Dean and his guys at Blackfoot Direct, and will be going back in soon to gear up my kids.
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,567
GW Cycle is great place to deal with, and has a good selection. Better than Blackfoot to deal with.

http://www.gwcycleworld.com/
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
4B1T OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for your help, guys. Now I have somewhere to start, and should be able to keep myself out of trouble until my buddy gets off shift. If there was only somewhere that sold guns, motorcycles and related kit, camping stuff, and booze, I would be set for the week!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
waterlilly
No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer: 776
[QUOTE=4B1T;20724216]Awesome! Thanks for your help, guys. Now I have somewhere to start, and should be able to keep myself out of trouble until my buddy gets off shift. If there was only somewhere that sold guns, motorcycles and related kit, camping stuff, and booze, I would be set for the week![/QUOTE

That's to funny, you sound like our parts guy Tim. We stole him from a gun shop. suprising how many riders, also fire.lol
join us on Facebook
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Bones Over Metal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
There is a gun store in Inglewood and come to think of it an army surplus store a block away.
GW Cycle has a more divers selection of helmets than Blackfoot.

Have fun!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4B1T View Post
I would have put a question mark there, but my computer must have taken a bump on the plane and is now putting little accent marks over everything. Great.
Thanks
You managed to switch your keyboard to French. Hold down the ctrl key and then also push down the shift key at the same time, that should switch it back to English.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
GW Cycle is great place to deal with, and has a good selection. Better than Blackfoot to deal with.

x2

I also go to Walt Healy, While they do not have the same selection as GW, they are good folks. I avoid Blackfoot --- they are okay, but always more expensive.

Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Bought many bikes from Walt back when he was around, now don't get the time of day there. Never had a good experience at Black(lying bastages)foot. Just bought a Shoei Hornet at GW, and had an out of province on the GS. Best shop I have dealt with in years, reminds me of Walt's years ago. I'll keep shopping there as prices are good, and like to support local businesses.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
And remember at GW the price on the helmets are not what you will pay, they like to make deals.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
[QUOTE=Cal;20745812]And remember at GW the price on the helmets are not what you will pay, they like to make deals.[/

A friendly attitude, and respect go along way to savings!
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
longwayaround
Female Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
good to know i'm not the only one who had a bad experience with blackfoot. man oh man, never going back there again after no attention or respect from staff, and once staff was finnnnnaallllly available (and annoyed?) having them argue with me about how i don`t know what parts i need to order, dont know what i`m talking about and to ask to speak to ``the man`` who owns the motorcycle. I`m all for supporting local buisnesses, and walts/bow cycle have been my go to place for gear. BEST PART: they treat the lady gearheads great there!

did you find what you were looking for?
"go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul" -Walt Whitman
longwayaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post

+1 for GW...great selection, great prices

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Aaen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
If your looking for guns and a shooting range head up the street(south) towards the shooting edge. Decent range although the ammo is a bit pricey that they make you use i their guns.
Aaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
4B1T OP
Adventurer

First of all, thanks to everyone for the tips and advice (especially farmerger for explaining how to tell my computer that it is not part of a "distinct society"). I went to GW, and was blown away. Price, selection, friendliness of staff... the whole nine. One woman there spent a great deal of time helping me pick a helmet that fits my oddly shaped melon, AND THEN knocked something like $30 or $40 off the MSRP. Hell's yeah! GW went up even further in my estimation when, after walking around my buddies house with the helmet on for a day or two (yeah, I'm THAT guy) and deciding that HJC and I just weren't meant to be, I was able to return it with no grief and no hassle. I went in all ready to grovel and beg, but didn't have to explain beyond "it just doesn't sit right." Boom. No one is ever THRILLED to accept returned merchandise, but there was no drama whatsoever, and I would not hesitate to recommend GW to anyone looking for anything.

I ended up going to Blackfoot, and will definitely be going back there... mostly to cater to my slightly masochistic tendencies. Luckily I ENJOY being ignored and / or otherwise being treated like crap while wandering aimlessly. I always enjoy looking at the new Scramblers, but that was about all that did it for me. As a Triumph guy it breaks my heart to think that if I ever move to Calgary or the surrounding area I will pretty much be forced to deal with Blackfoot. Maybe for an extra couple bucks they will choke me a bit and slap me around. You know, make it worth it.

I swung around the Shooting Edge to kill some time and take a boo. Not a bad place, but as I was warned, expensive. I think I will just wait until the snow clears up around the Road to Nowhere and shoot my little heart out come spring.

On another note, Bass Pro is officially a fantastic way to keep a 5 year old nephew entertained for hours....

Thanks again, YFF's.