Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
By the way, is a 1k+ cc bike a "middleweight"? I was thinking middleweight bikes were like 500-800 cc?

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
That's exactly how my Wee is set up...

NFE
Works amazingly well doesn't it? If the Vee Strom was not a 650, not a 1000 but an 800, Suzuki would have had a hands down winner.
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 08:43 PM Reason: content
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokosai View Post

[Touring Land Barge] (e.g. FJR, Concours, R1200RT, etc)
================
+factory luggage
+good wind protection
-heavy and pig-like
-too upright seating position

r 1200 rt is not a heavy pig,prolly lighter than a k1300
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
mokosai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
Not sure where you got the sub 500 pound wet weight for the VFR800.

You might consider the Ninja 1000 too.
I guess I confused dry weight with wet weight for the VFR. Knowing it weighs that much feels like another check mark for the K1300S.

I had not considered the Ninja 1000... and you're right, I think I should. Now I"m off to research it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Speaking from what I've ridden and having a similar build (assuming you have a 32" inseam; yes?) me thinks the V or Wee strom would fit the bill nicely for you.
I see a few Wee recommendations. An 09 Wee with ABS was actually my first every motorcycle, but I just had to sell it. I spent over a year with it, setting it up exactly as I wanted, but in the end something just didn't excite me about it. It's purely subjective, but I feel like I've had more exciting dishwashers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Agreed. FZ6 (and SV650) doesn't belong with those others listed. Maybe you meant R6?
I stand by the SV650 not working (N has no wind protection, S bars are too low), but you're right that the R6 belongs in that list, not the FZ6. My impression (from reading reviews) is that not much happens with the FZ6 motor until you get into the upper end of the rev range. I don't really like the idea of that, but probably need to ride one to be sure.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
mokosai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
I've have a K1300S and rode a 99 VFR800 for five years. The VFR was a great bike but the K13S doesn't feel any heavier and has gobs more power and a much better suspension. BMW weird, I know, but it works very well on the road. A chain wouldn't keep me from buying a bike I want but I do not miss chain maintenance. Riding position between the VFR800 and the K1300S are almost identical. I thought it was interesting that I found the VFR1200 to be a little tighter, more like the Sprint ST.
This kind of comparison is exactly what I was hoping for! Sounds like another +1 in the K1300S' column. I'm starting to lean in that direction....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwenglis View Post
vfr1200 and ktm 990 smt
From what I've read, I'd rather have the K1300S than the VFR. Looks like I would be sitting bolt upright on the SMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Ducati ST3, ST4, or ST2, or MultiStrada (older 2V or newer 4V).
Aprilia Futura.
Moto Guzzi Norge.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 or Versys 1000
Suzuki SV1000 or V-Strom 1000
Honda VFR 1200
Yamaha FZ-1

Buell Ulysses

Lots of adventure-type bikes.

MOTUS MST

PhilB
Multistrada, Versys, V-strom, Uly, "adventure-type bikes" are all too upright. I want something with at least 15 degrees forward lean (thanks cycle-ergos).

SV1000; FZ1 might be too aggressive. (I know, I'm freakin' Goldilocks over here...)

Haha, yeah, the Motus. Right after the first lotto annuity comes in.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Middle weight sport touring? They are extinct and actually I'm not sure they ever really existed.

For smaller capacity engines the VFR and Sprint ST are great and pretty much your only choices.

K1300S is a nice bike, but you are paying for those CCs - in more ways then one (entry cost, insurance, maintenance, service). I'd also consider it more of a hyper sport touring, in which case you might as well start considering Hayabusa, ZX14, and Blackbird level rides.

All of the bikes above are great bikes so you can't really go wrong, it will most likely depend first and foremost on what is currently available in your area, because once people buy them they don't usually sell them (especially VFRs and Sprint STs, used market is tiny for those).
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Middle-Weight-Sport-Tourer? Versys 650 with Givi luggage. I don't understand the comfort problem with an upright riding position. I can't ride anything else due to severe pain in my arms, shoulders, and neck. Goldwing has an upright riding position, and is the most comfortable bike ever made. The 1800 handles pretty well, but it is definitely not a middle weight.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #23
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
FZ1 too aggressive? If that is the case, you may need to go with an upright position like the Versys. I have a naked SV650 and the FZ1 is less agressive than that even. Roomy too.

I can't see a better bike and value for your scenario. Weight is around 455 dry, 140HP so it won't bore you, been in production since 2001 so a used one is abundant and it has good aftermarket. Known for its all day comfort.

KTM 200, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
mokosai OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
FZ1 too aggressive? If that is the case, you may need to go with an upright position like the Versys. I have a naked SV650 and the FZ1 is less agressive than that even. Roomy too.

I can't see a better bike and value for your scenario. Weight is around 455 dry, 140HP so it won't bore you, been in production since 2001 so a used one is abundant and it has good aftermarket. Known for its all day comfort.
Looking into it, I was wrong. Ergos on the fz1 are near perfect, even a tad too unagressive. Does the little half fairing really provide much wind and rain protection? The ninja 1000 and k1300s appear to be better faired.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,171
Go eyeball the Ninja 300 thread and my bike in particular. I'm just about 370 lbs. wet now, within a tune of 44-45 RWHP, under $6500 total including my hard top box and ready to travel anywhere with the light feeling of a Ninja 250 but the power of a 500.

Forget the Ninja 250 if you ever rode one. This bike takes it to another level. Wide ratio gearbox and it feels normal with a +1 CS. It'll take more gear if you want it. 60 MPH all day long at cruising speeds.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...825961&page=24
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,797
Between JerryH and Navin we have the 'out of left field' options covered.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
Josh1466
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I can see the Ninja 300 being 'out of left field' since I wouldn't consider it a middleweight. BUT the Versys 650 I'd consider a middle weight, and it will sport tour quite well, although the OP doesn't want the upright seating position. I'd think stuff like the K1300, Ninja 1000, etc. are more from left field, since I'd definitely not consider them middleweight. Matter of fact, the only middleweight I see in the OP's list is the 600 cc sport bikes.

From what I can tell from the first post, he's looking for something lighter in weight, doesn't need massive power since he's not 2 up, I assume he wants a bike that handles well, but doesn't need super aggressive handling since the Street Triple is "too twitchy".

The Versys fits his wants nicely, except the seating position. I have also had an FZ6, and I'd say that should be a serious contender in his list. It doesn't have low end torque, but the midrange is not bad, and the top end will keep you entertained. It handles well, isn't overly heavy, as already stated can be fit with hard bags, and they're cheap to find used.

I got rid of mine because it didn't have enough leg room, and I didn't like the forward lean, but for his needs it seems perfect.
Josh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

True, but the lil 300 has pushed the Ninja base model from the basement to real motorcycle performance. It ain't all that, and I mean, it really lacks in some areas so don't think I'm just so enamored with it I'm blinded and must recommend it to everyone. In fact, I'm sure my many comments about mine have pissed off those who are moonstruck with it!

The engine performance is true middleweight stuff, the 250 version wasn't. The middle weight category got a bit bigger with the 300 IMO.

You won't find a lighter weight feeling bike in this thread.

I'd recommend the ER6n too. We had a demo for a 4 day weekend from my dealer. Great bike but not available new. The 300 is right there, seriously. It is a cheap parts bin bike from the Ninja 250s of the last 30 years but the new engine is a keeper. The rest I'm almost finished with too, forks and my front brake are the end of the list.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
How is the f800GT not a middleweight sport tourer?

Pretty much any of the big 4 midsize upright bikes make good sport tourers with luggage and other farkles, so what if they don't come set up out-of-the-box like the f800GT? you can get going for 1/2 the price.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
NT700V? The very definition of middle-weight sport tourer. Sure, Honda has pulled them from the U.S. market, but that was just last year, so they're still pretty plentiful as a leftover or used. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, or did I miss it somewhere?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote