ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Death Valley Rally 2013

In the spirit of last years' DVR, I will be abandoning the ever-so-boring Thanksgiving holiday to pursue a motorcycle adventure instead. Smart, huh?
Last year, Procycle and I had an epic week of riding, it was documented here http://drriders.com/topic6350.html
This year I will be riding solo, PC is busy. I have a "plan" but there a many variables. It's a lot more than Death Valley, I'm only trying to hit the stuff we didn't get to last year (see below).
I'm posting this thread to inform, entertain and "reach out" to my DR brethren. It would be good to have some discussions before I leave. My only source of internet comm will be my iphone and hotel computers so there might be some serious lapses in my story during the trip. I'll take a bunch of photos and GPS tracks but they might have to wait until my return to Oregon to get online. Typing on an iphone is time consuming so I'll probably shine on the daily reports, or not.
In any case, if there are any of you that would like to join me for a stint (or a beer) let me know here. Each day will be between 250-400 miles. Daylight hours are very short now so early(cold) starts are a must. I'm riding a DR650 and staying at hotels every night. On paper it looks like 2000 miles or so.
Here is my "planned" itinerary:

11/23 Hawthorne NV (Off highway, Tonopah, Beatty)
11/24 Beatty NV (Death Valley loop)
11/25 Stovepipe Wells CA (South through DV, Shoshone)
11/26 Laughlin NV (Grand Canyon loop 450+ miles)
11/27 Laughlin NV (Rte 66, Joshua Tree, Barstow)
11/28 Ridgecrest CA (Red Rock, Jawbone, Bakersfield, Lake Isabella)
11/29 Lone Pine CA (Back into DV, long loop north)
11/30 Hawthorne NV

Cheers!

endoquest screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 07:20 PM
endoquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
MikeinFresno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
why Bakersfield?
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Hi Mike. There is an interesting road that comes down from the Piutes called Breckenridge. Fuel up outside of Bakersfield then go up the Kern Canyon highway to Isabella/Kennedy meadows/Lone Pine. That will be a long day since I'm starting from Ridgecrest. Cheers
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
j.king
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Dv

Just came back from a weekend in DV. Stayed in Kernville and then Beatty.
Bring warm gear - mornings are pretty chilly (30's) but once you get going in the Valley it was fine. Midday temps were 50-65 degrees.

Some of the group I was riding with tried to go over Sherman Pass from Kernville through Kennedy Meadows and ran into very thick ice. Seems most other passes are open and fine but Sherman Pass while open was not "passible"

Cheers
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Thanks King, I'll wait and see about Sherman Pass. Barely got through there last year, but did!
Funny thing about Death Valley, everywhere outside it is pretty high elevation.

Cheers
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 166
I'll be at Panamint Springs campground over Thanksgiving. I'm gonna show my wife around the area. She's never ridden there. If ya want a beer or need a break, stop by the Winnebago View with the white, bike trailer. XR650L and TW200.

Dan
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Cool beans Dan, thanks for the invite. If I'm in the area, and thirsty!, I'll stop for a barley pop. Cheers
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,089
Planning on being in DV next Tuesday through Friday.

Will be heading to Saline Valley and the hotsprings to camp.

Maybe I'll see a few of you out there...

Cheers,

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
endoquest OP
Adventurer

OK, looks like weather is going to play a role in this trip. Eleven hour drive on Saturday to Hawthorne then park the rig and ride off highway the next day. Overnight temps in the 20s, highs in the 40s all the way to Beatty, Brrrrrrr. Also will have to contend with snow/ice above 6000 ft. due to the recent cold front. Have to see what it's really like on the ground. Here goes....

Live2ride: If my plans hold up I'll be at Stovepipe Monday, then south, then back up to Saline/Warm Springs/Steele Pass on Friday. Might see you there, might not, cheers.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,286
South side of Lone Pine @ the 136, is a newer visitors center, that may appeal to you. Lots of E Sierra, DV info in there. Ask the folks in there for a map of the LP area. The movie road and the Alabama Hills roads area nice little treat.

samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Hey thanks Sam, I'll check it out. Just landed in Hawthone and hitting the dirt tomorrow on two wheels. Cold and snowy but should be better down south. Cheers
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Sorry guys, I've been BUSY! About 800 miles in the first three days with a lot off road. Doing this on the phone is challenging where there is no service. I'm going to drop this thread. I'm continuing with the thread at drriders.com under adventure addicts. Cheers
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Sorry guys, I've been BUSY! About 800 miles in the first three days with a lot off road. Doing this on the phone is challenging where there is no service. I'm going to drop this thread. I'm continuing with the thread at drriders.com under adventure addicts. Cheers
Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Thanx for the build updown:

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
endoquest OP
Adventurer

Sorry, too busy riding. Made it to the Grand Canyon and back from Laughlin today. I'll do a ride report with pix when I get back. Cheers