ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Thumb Need some help-advice on how to give quadropegic man a ride in a sidecar.

Howdy All,

Many years ago, in 1998 I met a man on the Internet on the "EXUP" list, his name is Rick Frame. Rick was the very first person I responded to on an Internet forum, he was the very first person I ever sent an email to, we soon became cyber friends. Rick still lives in Arlington Texas just outside of Dallas-Fort Worth, Rick and I had made plans to meet and ride together as I was planing one of my long rides the following summer of 1999.

Then fate intervened, Rick was stuck by a car from behind while riding and was knocked over a freeway over pass falling forty feet to the concrete road surface below. That Rick is still alive is a miracle if ever there was one, but the wreck has him left a quadriplegic ever since. It has been a dream of Rick and myself to someday take that ride we planed so long ago, NOW I think I have the machine to make this dream come true.

I have a sidecar on my BMW R1150GS, but I need to make some kind of body support that will fit into the sidecar that Rick can be placed into and using belts or some sort of straps secured to that frame. MY idea is to use light tubing such as electrical conduit to bend up a simple frame that can be inserted into the sidecar, nothing fancy, this will a one time use item, SIMPLE and CHEAP are the operative terms.

I have stopped in to visit with Rick whenever I have been in the area, the last time we saw each other was in July of 2008 when I rode the Ural all around the USA. Heres some photos of that visit.

Does someone in the Everett, Arlington, Snohomish area have access to electrical conduit and the tools needed to work with it to help fabricate such a frame, old used conduit would be perfect. I need to have this built by the middle of March at the latest as I'll be leaving for Texas the last week in March. If someone can lend a hand please contact me, THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 01:35 PM Reason: Cuss I can't sqel
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,190
That there is a beautiful experience in the making, good on ya Mr Cob, & i look forward to viewing your report.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,265
Are you trying to adapt the seat to: make it fit him, or secure him inside the car?

On the make it fit part, urethane foam sometimes works for something temporary to custom fit to things [ him, in this case] like foaming a foot into a ski boot, or a fragile item into a shipping box. Insulation companies do a lot of that nowdays, many have truck mounted machines.

Do you plan to weld the emt? It's galvanized and pretty thin wall, but you might be a pro who is not bothered by that...
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Could you make something simple out of plywood and foam? I am thinking you could create a simple cradle for the head and neck (like a racecar driver uses). Likewise, somebody may have a racecar bucket seat they could loan you that would bolt right down. I am guessing if you let the AdvRider world know what you need, it may magically appear.

How long of a ride do you think it will be?
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
you are one of the best souls I know Mr. Cob...
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Thanks for the suggestions. You have come up with some great ideas but in this situation they aren't of much help. I am in Washington, Rick is in Texas and I'll only be at his home for a couple of days so I won't have time to do a lot of fabrication work while there, that why this has to be SIMPLE.

I don't know how long of a ride it will be, that is up to Rick, how he feels once he gets bolted in and we take a short trip around the block to see if this is even possible. I will be using the rig for other things and rides while on this long trip so I can't take the sidecar off the frame, I am about the same size as Rick, fatter but about the same height, if I can come up with something that I can fit into I am sure Rick can be strapped into it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,265
Still tryin' here:

What about some cheap inflatable devices that could be aired up to 3 - 5 psi around him after he is eased into the existing seat? like water wings or air mattresses... something easy to try yourself sitting in the hack at home before you set out. Air bags fit all kinds of shapes at low pressure.

Might be a tougher job getting him in and out than fitting him.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Still tryin' here:

What about some cheap inflatable devices that could be aired up to 3 - 5 psi around him after he is eased into the existing seat? like water wings or air mattresses... something easy to try yourself sitting in the hack at home before you set out. Air bags fit all kinds of shapes at low pressure.

Might be a tougher job getting him in and out than fitting him.
Howdy what broke now,

Now that, is a very cool idea, never would have crossed my mind. Thats why I posted here, lots of good ideas, some just might work and help make this happen. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
An OT's opinion

So just a quick suggestion from my friend who is an OT/AT but what about having his OT/PT meet you at his house to help or consult with you to secure him in correctly? Without having control of his body, the shift in his body weight may have a drastic effect on your control. Apparently, Texas has a great Assistive Technology program and you may be able to find someone willing to donate their time to adapt something for you. It is worth a shot to ensure such a great friend security and safety.

PS I love what you are doing and think it's a great thing! More friends should be like you!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
you are one of the best souls I know Mr. Cob...
I have to agree, this is a wonderful thing you are trying to do for a friend. Wish I had some of the skills you are looking for, would be a wonderful project to be a part of.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,546
Having known a couple quadriplegics over the years, my first thought is to use a bucket seat out of an old Mustang II or something similar (cheap at a pick-n-pull type wrecking yard). An old 5 pt harness (or a DIY version) would make for a good way to secure him to the seat so he wont tip sideways or slip down in the seat.

What broke now's idea has some merit worth following up on as well.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Again, thanks for the suggestions and especially your kind words. In real life I really am a "Cob" ( Crabby old bastard ) but when it comes to my friends I put that side of my personality on a very short and strong chain. This is just something that I feel has to happen or at least be tried. One way or the other, Rick and I are going to ride together, if I have to hitch a little red wagon on behind his powered wheel chair, however I don't do well when I am not in control, the "Cob" might start telling him how to drive.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
It may sound like more work than you want to put into it, but Summit Racing sells light-weight plastic racing seats that already have the holes for 5-point harnesses for $35. They have 6 threaded inserts molded into the bottom for easy install. I've had a set in my old jeep for 15 years now. Link: Plastic Racing Seats

If you are coming across I-90 through ID on your journey, swing by and I'll loan you one of my 5-pt. harnesses. Maybe you could even buy the seat and have it shipped down there so you don't have to pack it with you. Just an idea.

Good luck. As much of a cob as you say you are, you are still a good man. But we won't tell anyone.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
It may sound like more work than you want to put into it, but Summit Racing sells light-weight plastic racing seats that already have the holes for 5-point harnesses for $35. They have 6 threaded inserts molded into the bottom for easy install. I've had a set in my old jeep for 15 years now. Link: Plastic Racing Seats

If you are coming across I-90 through ID on your journey, swing by and I'll loan you one of my 5-pt. harnesses. Maybe you could even buy the seat and have it shipped down there so you don't have to pack it with you. Just an idea.

Good luck. As much of a cob as you say you are, you are still a good man. But we won't tell anyone.
Howdy XR4EVER,

Thanks for the offer, but I am taking a more southern route. Hauling stuff is no problem, I taking two sidecar rigs, my off nasty Ural and the pretty on road Beemer in a 38 foot toy hauler, towed by a dually Cummins.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

This sounds like a good idea and cheap with the loaned harness. Just need to get it in time to fit it to the tub.

I have done a LOT of volunteer work with disabled folks. This is going to be very cool. Good on you Mr. COB
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote