Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #46
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Thanks! Not too woried about the "manhood" considering I'm a girl but I have considered a taller seat plus lowering the pegs for it also. Thank you so much for the web idea and the tips though:-)
A Girl? You are in luck then. Imagine a world where choosing a motorcycle is unfettered by the need to consider its usefulness as a secondary sexual characteristics display device. A penis is such burden. 18 months ago I went touring in the Italian Alps with a friend, two up on a modern 250cc single cylinder scooter. We are both middle age, full size men. Was the scooter fun? Too right it was. Somehow I think if we travelled that way in the US, or here in Oz for that matter life could be difficult.

Having tried a F800ST with the higher factory seat & found it mighty comfortable maybe a dealer in your area has one to try before you shell out on some overwrought, baroque aftermarket device. Cheers
Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #47
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post

My list includes:

BMW R1150RT (or 1200)

Honda ST1100 or 1300

Concourse 1000 (know the 14 but not the 1000)

FJR 1300- (see a lot for sale and not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing and not sure if I like the front look)

Triumph Sprint (older version pre-05)
I've ridden all of these but the Connie and owned a ST13 and the Sprint. All I can tell you is to test ride them; there's not a stinker in the group so it will come down to what you actually connect with. I thought the FJR was a done deal for me to replace my Sprint, but after test riding it, the RT and ST13, I chose the Honda cause it worked best for me. My friends thought I was crazy (and are right, as usual) and should have bought the FJR. Anyhow, my point is that are opinions are only that; only seat time will give you a meaningful answer. And hey, shopping and comparing is half the fun, so enjoy it.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #48
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 376
Completely torn now!!! What have I done?

I think I have finally decided to test the FJR and compare it to the RT. The FJR is just screaming my name lately. I love the lines and am in the works of selling off my F8ST. I'm not even quite sure that can wait to sell to get the yami... I guess time and a test ride will tell! Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #49
SilverFaux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Don't forget the Pacific Coast

I love this bike. Great for long rides. Got some nice kick from the V-twin. Very comfortable riding position. Kinda flicky with the low COG. Cavernous storage in the trunk and even nice for 2up travel. Excellent protection from the elements.
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #50
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #51
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
R1150RT and other choices

The 2004 R1150RT was the first year for the dual plug engine to get rid of low speed rideability issues. The 2004 is pricier not because it was the last of the older style but because it was the older style with the stumble issue solved. The new R1200RT began in 2005 and, between you and me there will be several of these R1200RT's hitting the market in 2014 as the new Water Cooled RT hits the streets; many will trade up.

You had mentioned a lot of bikes here and I see many are busy spending your money but the real questions are:
1. what do you want to do with the *new* bike?
2. how much do you want to spend?
3. do you plan to get rid of the ST?

Question 3 is important because if you plan to keep the ST then you don't need another road rocket. Question 2 is important because it will immediately eliminate several choices. Question 1 is important because it attempts to pigeonhole what this bike needs to do for you, ie: cross-country touring, ride up to Deadhorse AK, commute to work and back, etc.

I find that 'touring bikes' make great commuters as well because they hold all my stuff. However, it is most important to first clearly identify with what you want and, like has already been said, buying another bike is not always rational and something that can be explained with logic. It is okay that it is like that. If you like bike 'X' and want it, then why NOT buy it? If you don't like it or want something else later, buy a different one later. My point is we are not at all limited to one machine forever. Over time we change our tastes, outlook on things, our perspective, and sometimes we just want that red Ducati... It's okay
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #52
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Hey Dan,

I have found over the last year that even though I love my ST, it will take more time and money than I want to put into it to make it of a tourer. I find it perfect around town and love it for 2-4 hours, however the longer trips and multiple days just destroy me, where my VStrom did not. I know that they are two completely different bikes and seating positions, so my thought process was to meet half way between the sporting look and the more upright touring position.

My family lives in Western Pa, (14+ hrs away) and the good mountain rodes are at least 8-9. I am looking to sell my F800ST and get something a long the lines of comfort, great storage for long weekends and rides, and still have somewhat of sporty look (FJR, Sprint, RT). So I am maintaining patience right now to see what comes up, while still enjoying the ST.

I appreciate all the topics you brought up and am taking my time to make sure this is exactly the right direction I want to move in, everything in my gut says it is, so now it's just finding the right bike to move to. I am going to test the FJR this weekend I think to really feel that one.

Thanks again,
Shannon

doc4216 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 03:46 PM
doc4216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #53
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I forgot to mention, but the Sprint 955i is more roomier then the Sprint 1050.
The triple engin of triumph is a really great a fun engine, smooth and delivers the torque early and holds it way up.
The Tiger 1050 may not be a looker but its a hell of a fun allrounder bike that easily can tour with two up for long distance.

Havent tryed any of those big sportstourers like FJR1300,GTR1400 and RT. But the FJR1300 is my favorite of that class even tough GTR1400 is the big brother to my ZX14.

Edit: GTR1400=Concourse 14
Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #54
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Doc,

I'm about your size, & I owned a 2000 Connie for 11 years. It's reliable as a brick & super bang for the buck. In 11 years I bought tires, battery, & lots of oil & filters.....that's it, period.It's also comy & wicked fast & I have the awards from our local troopers to prove it. Having said that, I have to say that in the 50,000 + miles I owned it, I had to use all 40 decades of riding trickery to handle it. Small guys & heavy bikes are do-able, but eventually just exhausting. Not on the highway or open road, but there are parking lots, low speed u-turns, soft ground parking, & a world of other situations that pop up in the life of a touring rider. I never dropped it, but it took some muscle & nerve to ride it hard. 5"7" & 150 lbs (& advancing years) finally swayed me back to my sweet spot, which is under 500 lbs., or at least within spitting distance of 500. I've looked pretty hard at just about all of the bikes you mentioned, size & weight just put them out of the running. Actually, my dream bike is probably your ST 800! The only drawback I saw with that ST was the tag hanging off the handlebars. I'd try to stay on the lightweight side of the spectrum & maybe try & tweak your ST...custom seat maybe, or higher bars, lower pegs? I'd also recommend the Suzuki 1250, (already mentioned). That looks like the most bike for the dollar since the demise of the old Connie.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #55
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Thanks Jim! Great advice, I'm just really trying to be patient and find the bike that really fits what I want it to do.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #56
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

No longer need to be torn

Thanks for all the great and reliable advice guys. Got an offer on my F8ST that I couldn't pass up and came home with this! Completely different ride home that was for sure.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #57
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Congratulatons