ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #136
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Problem is (as I understand it) that phone based GPS'es usually don't have the maps in their memory. A 3G/4G connection is necessary to access maps beyond a small area. Germin's (for the most part) have them internally.

Yes some apps have the ability to download maps of limited area, but it would take a shitload of them to cover something like the TAT.

Anyone know of a phone app which has all the maps internally ?
Like someone else mentioned above, I use Navigon. With it you can pick and choose which State or Provinces you want to load on it to help save memory. I have an iPhone 4 (16GB) and loaded all the areas for my Trans-Labrador Highway trip coming up soon (starting from western Mass) and it only took up about 1.5GB. I also use Motion-X GPS for creating tracks, which also allows you to download maps for offline use. Problem with Motion-X is that their map formatting takes up a lot more space, fine for smaller areas, but not big trips. For the same TLH trip it would have taken more than 15GB to get the same level of detail as with Navigon.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #137
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
CoPilot can load all of N. America in about 1.5 gb, including maps, app, POI's etc., although the road network in Mexico is limited to main routes. Plan your route from Key West to Deadhorse, no problem!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #138
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
I use HERE Maps/Drive on my Nokia phone. I download updates via Wifi. The USA mapset is loaded on the phone. Nokia now owns HERE maps which used to be called Navteq ie the maps on Garmin GPS units.

I believe the same HERE apps are available for IOS/Android.
http://here.com/download

While HERE Drive has voice directions which work well, it is still really a point and shoot GPS. I still prefer my "old fashioned" Zumo 550 for complicated routing/planning and accessibility, although I now use the Nokia for local auto travel most of the time.

Phone GPS is backup on the bike.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #139
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'm considering the new Nexus 7.
Me too. I'm waiting for a guy to call me back about one right now. It's a 1st gen 32gig. It should do the trick for me...
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #140
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
The new version of google maps will store maps offline in iOS & Android. I'd love to hear what the community thinks of that.

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com.a...martphone.html
Here's one community member: New Google Maps BLOWS!

It's the worst update Google has ever done to any of their products EVER. The new google maps is pointless and a piece of crap! It's not finished and should never have been released!

That aside... phew, i could go on as I'm on the developer's G+ blog and persistently complain along with the whordes of others. I'm really seriously digging the Earl!!!

I had never heard of it, but shouldn't be under the radar any longer. That thing is going to be friggin awesome for everything outdoors. The screen is e-ink, so it views better in sunlight, it has all the connectivity needed, it's a full Android tablet with WiFi and Bluetooth, has solar charging, has tons of radio communication options, alerts and stuff, 20hour charge life while in use, waterproof, shockproof, any glove friendly, built in weather station, and more.

I quote " Does Earl come with a warranty?
We want to set a standard behind the quality of our design. If Earl breaks, send it back and we'll send you a replacement at no charge."

Damn. It's perfect, and shipping this month.

In the forum they link to the RAM mount for the 7" tablet for motorcycle mounting. It's the perfect size for viewing on bumpy trails IMO.

It's been a while since I've been this excited about the arrival of new gear t3ch...
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #141
btao
Pwned

update

Google maps now only retains saved offline maps for 30 days.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #142
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
One thing I've noticed is that many of the County Roads in Texas aren't labeled in Google maps anymore. They still show on the maps, but without names. You can still search for an address on them and find it, but no matter how far you zoom in the road doesn't show a name. And they used too. I noticed this before the change to the new google maps. As much as I hate too, I now switch to Bing maps to get those road names. Or fire up Garmin's Basecamp.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #143
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
I am in the same boat.......

Any feedback on Android Apps and secrets to using Google Maps will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hey I added my $0.02 regarding an app I'm trying out here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=11
But this thread seems to be the one getting the attention, so forgive the cross-link, "double post," or w/e you want to call it.

I wonder if the Earl will run ViewRanger??? Looks like it might.
Hmm ... hey for those considering a new waterproof phone, the Incipio is apparently thinking the Motorola Moto X is going to be big because they've come out with a press release stating that they will make one of their Atlas waterproof cases for it. It the Moto X doesn't turn out to be a battery hog, this may be my next phone.
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #144
btao
Pwned

Thumb

I just ordered my Earl yesterday. There's half a dozen office mates that hike, geocash, motorcycle, hunt and fly that all ordered one too.

Seems like the perfect device for what Adventure Riding is all about. The developer is really looking to make something that works for every outdoor/backcountry activity known. Upgrades are definitely in the works from the initial release, and will likely be included if you are an initial supporter. Upgrades such as a low temp or color e-ink screen like I'd use.

If you don't know what Earl is, check it out: www.meetearl.com

It's a backcountry survival tablet with every type of gps, sensors and radios available, bluetooth 4.x, wifi, runs Android j-bean (including Google services obviously), 6" low power flexible e-ink screen, integrated solar charging, 20hr in use time, 5hr solar charge, IP67 (water, dust, mud proof), glove friendly, multi-touch & joystick, and rugged. It's got emergency capability to replace those thinking about SPOT, packaged with backcountry navigator, but will run your Android nav app of choice, bluetooth to connect to comm, expandable memory for your tunes, movies and pictures, modular design for repairs and upgrades, fits right into existing RAM mounts for Tabs. There's a lot more I'm not remembering...

What it doesn't have: retina screen, integrated camera, cell service.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL!....

Comes with the case pictured on the website, shipping this month hopefully. It's awaiting FCC approvals I think, unless they are adding more features first. They are at a discount during pre-order, with that 15% discount carrying over to any future upgrades or purchases.

Ok, there's my sales pitch on why I got one...

Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #145
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 791
I am waiting on Garmin Monterra which is also on an Android platform and shipping in September. I guess I am leaning toward Garmin mainly for warranty and upgrade support along with advance mapping capability that I believe Garmin will offer. I am not into using Google Maps and other automotive navigation apps. Other consideration and IMHO is that I've been using my Zumo 550 since 2006 without a single issue both on my Vee and my KLX450 and I've taken my share of face plants on the KLX without any damage to the Zumo.

Hell, you never know, I may just stick with my Galaxy S4 and use Co Pilot for general automotive type navigation and Dual Sport Map for off road use. Still testing and learning as I go but so far so good.

Jon
Old 08-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #146
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
The only thing I need a GPS for is tracks. I want to be able to draw tracks on a map/software loaded in my Mac, and transfer it to my GPS for riding it. I want to record tracklogs for where I have been when scouting new trails. I want to be able to acquire tracks from others to ride myself. Plus the device has to be waterproof, since weather and stream crossings are a part of it.

Somehow a cell phone seems to come up short as a GPS for me. But mine is OK for walking around Boston or trying to find an address in a car.

I had a 60csx taht did everything fine. I have a Montana now and I like it's touch screen.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #147
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,250
Anyone tried Google's My Tracks yet? I just downloaded it a few minutes ago but have not run it yet.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #148
Beer_me
JY

Interesting regarding MyTracks. Didn't even have that my radar. Presumably if you can share and follow tracks (I read correctly? that is possible right?), you can create tracks using other software to create a preplanned itinerary. I've got to try this.

PS. My favorite program for years now for preplanning routes/itineraries/tracks has been http://www.tyretotravel.com/ Originally for TomTom (and now is Tom-Tom's packaged software), it's 100% compatible with Garmin.

Sent from my Fone using Tapatalk 2
'11 Husky TE250
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #149
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Anyone tried Google's My Tracks yet? I just downloaded it a few minutes ago but have not run it yet.
Yes....

There currently is no feature to save your track locally as a GPX track so you could actually share it with others. You have to upload it to Google Drive and then convert it to GPX - but there's a problem in that they use a Time Stamp that records tenths of a second. GPX standard does not like that. That needs to be fixed in MyTracks or find a program that will clean it up on the computer/online.

There are a lot of non-Google apps that record Tracks properly and save them as GPX locally.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #150
Beer_me
JY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There currently is no feature to save your track locally as a GPX track so you could actually share it with others.
Thanks for saving me the time it would've taken me to figure that out on my own.
'11 Husky TE250