User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer

Oddometer: 24
Any late model Tenere owners running single disc front end

I am trying to reduce weight on my 2010 Tenere XT660Z. I am thinking to remove one disc and caliper off the front wheel. However, I don't know how this will effect the master cylinder. Has anyone done this,and is there anything I should be aware of.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
The question i would have is why?
The reason I bought a Tenere is because of the fantastic brakes..who does not like Brembo???///.if I wanted poor brakes I would have bought a DR, or my old KLR.
Remember the Tenere has a lot of weight on the front wheel, having better brakes is a must.

I find the front wheel does not lock up too much when braking hard on the dirt.

Now to answer your question the master cylinder size is important, the amount of fluid that is displaced is relative to the force on the front calipers, you may find than by only having one caliper attached the wheel may even lock up more due to the pressure at the master cylinder being only applied to one cylinder and not distributed across two calipers.
It's all about displacement of fluid at what pressure and the size of the pistons.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,798
Unsprung weight

I am very surprised more people have not asked this question.

1 less disc and calliper will have a massive difference to the feel of your bikes front end. The secret is finding a solution for maintaining strong brakes and good feel. Get that right and you will never look back.

You are on the right track with a smaller master cylinder coupled with a larger disc.....

Just sayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
The question i would have is why?
The reason I bought a Tenere is because of the fantastic brakes..who does not like Brembo???///.if I wanted poor brakes I would have bought a DR, or my old KLR.
Remember the Tenere has a lot of weight on the front wheel, having better brakes is a must.

I find the front wheel does not lock up too much when braking hard on the dirt.

Now to answer your question the master cylinder size is important, the amount of fluid that is displaced is relative to the force on the front calipers, you may find than by only having one caliper attached the wheel may even lock up more due to the pressure at the master cylinder being only applied to one cylinder and not distributed across two calipers.
It's all about displacement of fluid at what pressure and the size of the pistons.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I can't see why you would want less.

But the xt660r uses only 1 rotor and caliper, maybe something can mated off that to the tenere being how the are almost te same bike.
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 437
Been running with only one disc on my 950 for probably 50,000k and have no problems. Some dont get the unsprung weight idea so just give it a go. The brake will just want a bit more squeeze to lock up which I'm happy with. If one finger braking is your thing you wont like it unless you change mastercylinder.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer

Thanks to all of you for your input
Before I pull everything off, I am thinking to use vice grips to clamp off one side of the brake line ( without to much damage I hope) and see how the bike pulls up.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
gordonmichaellee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Silly idea

Silly idea IMO, you should be loosing weight off less critical components, headlights, speedo, handlbars, rims, tubes etc.

Even if you get it to sort of work the first time you need it in an emergeny I bet you'll agree with me.

Cheers Gordo
gordonmichaellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
What else have you taken off it to make it light boundary?

If I wanted to make my tenere lighter the easy way would be for me to drop some kilos;)
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty4x4 View Post
What else have you taken off it to make it light boundary?

If I wanted to make my tenere lighter the easy way would be for me to drop some kilos;)

Took the gigantic muffler off and replaced it with a single can.
Zeta handelbars.
If anything I have made it heavier by adding on crashbars, radiator guard, centre stand, bashplate, etc.
I guess I am trying to get rid off a few kilos. As a friend of mine suggested, If lost 15 kgs myself, my bike would handle a lot better, but thats another story.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post
Silly idea IMO, you should be loosing weight off less critical components, headlights, speedo, handlbars, rims, tubes etc.

Even if you get it to sort of work the first time you need it in an emergeny I bet you'll agree with me.

Cheers Gordo
Yeh right, most of those items are sprung weight, and a single disc will make the forks twist??
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
marlboroughlad
should know better

Oddometer: 1,216
If you're drastic enough to drop a disc then you're on the wrong bike. Buy a 690.

I chose to go the other way. Instead of losing weight I doubled the HP and bought a 800XC
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,798
funny really

I am often amused by people who knock an idea, with no clear idea or experience in what they are talking about.. a larger disc, with a matched master cylinder will often have better braking feel and power... matched with the unsprung weight advantage is amazing..

but you keep plodding along in your world.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post

Cheers Gordo

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post
I am often amused by people who knock an idea, with no clear idea or experience in what they are talking about.. a larger disc, with a matched master cylinder will often have better braking feel and power... matched with the unsprung weight advantage is amazing..

+1

Anyways, try it. You will lose some leverage on the brake but you wont know till you do it. I would NOT use a vise grips to clamp off a line your likely to damage the line.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post

You have had over a year to come up with a witty and scathing comeback, and that's the best you got?

You had over a year man!!!
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
scottdug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have thought about doing the same with my 05 640 adventure, a friend of mine suggested 2 motard type of disc's with an alloy centre and metal braking surface?
We neededed 60 gram's to balance the front wheel?
Getting rid of the weight is a good thing and unsprung even better!
scottdug is offline   Reply With Quote