Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #31
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Reverse is SO IMPORTANT that BMW never used it except on their Zündapp copy. KMZ used 2WD for years before adding reverse. IMZ finally got reverse in the late '70's amd only got 2WD for the US "wanker" market. I love reverse to show off. Yes, I'm a wanker! A few companies used it, H-D being a notable one, though even then, rarely. Is reverse useful? Yes. Is it worth the cost? No. If you need reverse, then you probably need to learn to ride an outfit. Like 2WD it tends to be a crutch for stupidity.
Whats wrong with doing something the easy way?

My Ural has been my only transportation for 5 years, reverse is handy for everyday use, eliminating the need to give forethought to parking. 2wd is like having awd on a car or truck, most of the time it isn't needed, but there are times and places where it can be a useful tool.

2wd is nice sometimes, although i could get by without it, reverse on the other hand is something I wouldn't want to give up. But we have the choice, and choice is good, I have, and use both. I have nothing to prove doing things the harder way.

"Need"?, no, Useful?, yes. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #32
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Now, now Barry be nice someday maybe we can achieve the status of real adventure riders then we can throw the two wheel drive and reverse away and physically push and pull our rigs like the "real" adventure riders do.

Being a blue collar working guy, on the rare occasions I have the time and money to get away, I'm not looking to do things the hard way for bragging rights.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Reverse is SO IMPORTANT that BMW never used it except on their Zündapp copy. KMZ used 2WD for years before adding reverse. IMZ finally got reverse in the late '70's amd only got 2WD for the US "wanker" market. I love reverse to show off. Yes, I'm a wanker! A few companies used it, H-D being a notable one, though even then, rarely. Is reverse useful? Yes. Is it worth the cost? No. If you need reverse, then you probably need to learn to ride an outfit. Like 2WD it tends to be a crutch for stupidity.
Well, I guess I am one of those stupid people who can't drive an outfit, all I know is when I drive my Ural I park it where I damned well please, when I drive my BMW rig I park it where I don't to push the darn thing, I also wouldn't think of taking the Beemer anywhere near the places I take the Ural with out giving it a second thought.

Yessire that reverse and two wheel drive is just for stupid folks who can't drive a rig, thats why some BMW people who have more money then they know what to do with spend close to $40,000.00 to have Mobek build a reverse-two wheel drive setup for their BMW's.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Well, I guess I am one of those stupid people who can't drive an outfit, all I know is when I drive my Ural I park it where I damned well please, when I drive my BMW rig I park it where I don't to push the darn thing, I also wouldn't think of taking the Beemer anywhere near the places I take the Ural with out giving it a second thought.

Yessire that reverse and two wheel drive is just for stupid folks who can't drive a rig, thats why some BMW people who have more money then they know what to do with spend close to $40,000.00 to have Mobek build a reverse-two wheel drive setup for their BMW's.
C'mon Mr Cob, the folks at Mobek are entitled to make a living, and have targeted a specific consumer with their product line. I do not aspire to own one, although I admire their concept, engineering and final product, just as I can admire a Ferrari.
I will keep buying a lottery ticket now and then......
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #35
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
C'mon Mr Cob, the folks at Mobek are entitled to make a living, and have targeted a specific consumer with their product line. I do not aspire to own one, although I admire their concept, engineering and final product, just as I can admire a Ferrari.
I will keep buying a lottery ticket now and then......
Howdy Bobmws,

I have nothing against Mobek, heck if "I" had that kind of money to spend I'd have that same setup on my BMW rig.

I just get a kick out of the folks who claim that two wheel drive and reverse are useless and not needed if you know how to drive a rig, yet there is a company that for a vast sum of money will sell you a setup so that even the BMW's can have that useless two wheel drive and reverse. Maybe those rich BMW riders are also stupid.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Maybe those rich BMW riders are also stupid.
Everybody knows it takes stupidity to become successful.

Even if reverse isn't actually "required", does that make one foolish for having and using it?
Can we make the same arguement about headlights? Afterall, I CAN ride without one.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #37
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

The Ural is still looking the goods.

However.....today I was offered the chance to take a chair for a ride over the weekend, it is attached to a, er, ummm, er, Yamaha V-Max

... now that we've managed to totally hijack your thread while we were killing time ... how did the ride go ?

You allowed visitors in the ward

Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #38
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Whats wrong with doing something the easy way?

I don't get paid to do shit the hard way so I'm with you on this one.

One of the reasons I went with the tractor , http://bakerdrivetrain.com/f5r-factory-5-speed-reverse.

Nobody ever lay on their death bed and said they should have saved more money.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #39
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Yeah but he's obviously more awesome then most of us, and can even blog and pat himself on the back at the same time.
Sorry that I stomped all over your 2WD toes, must have been too busy patting myself on the back. Having said that instead of fuck you maybe you'd like to clarify your remarks? I write blogs for my own entertainment, not your's. No one forces anyone including you to read them. If something about my writing bothers you I'm open to criticism, I'll listen. OTOH if you just like to run off at the mouth I could care less.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Sorry that I stomped all over your 2WD toes, must have been too busy patting myself on the back. Having said that instead of fuck you maybe you'd like to clarify your remarks? I write blogs for my own entertainment, not your's. No one forces anyone including you to read them. If something about my writing bothers you I'm open to criticism, I'll listen. OTOH if you just like to run off at the mouth I could care less.

LL75
Quote:
I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge.
I haven't read your blogs and have no interest, but I did read your post, it comes across as supercilious and begging for a jibe.

Both groups you took pot shots at tend to be older riders with many years of riding experience, as such they will likely have the experience and means to get what they want.
Are you so certain you can tell how and where they ride just by looking at them? Does it really matter how each person defines adventure or how it compares to yours?
Some folks enjoy and have the means to take extended trips in remote areas on primitive roads. Some enjoy or are limited to weekends seeking out challenging conditions that test rider and machine. Others just want a cool bike to get coffee with. Different strokes for different folks, no need for judgment or comment.

If you make silly blanket statements, expect silly retorts.

"Lighten up Frances."
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

"I haven't read your blogs and have no interest, but I did read your post, it comes across as supercilious and begging for a jibe.

Both groups you took pot shots at tend to be older riders with many years of riding experience, as such they will likely have the experience and means to get what they want.
Are you so certain you can tell how and where they ride just by looking at them? Does it really matter how each person defines adventure or how it compares to yours?
Some folks enjoy and have the means to take extended trips in remote areas on primitive roads. Some enjoy or are limited to weekends seeking out challenging conditions that test rider and machine. Others just want a cool bike to get coffee with. Different strokes for different folks, no need for judgment or comment."

------------------

Fine for you to comment but as I see it I based my remark(s) on real world experience, not some BS cooked up to aggravate you or anyone else. Your crack about my blogs being another way to pat myself on the back and then following up with an admission you've never read them seems straightforward enough; you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I'm not new to riding, I've been at it since 1954 and most of the people you refer to as being older riders are likely to be younger than my 72 years. Age doesn't suggest nor deserve rank nor even respect but you must feel it does since you've introduced it. Patting myself on the back? Read any of them and then judge but until doing so you're the one making the assumptions and you happen to be dead wrong.

What I said regarding 2WD and I'll stand by it is "I've never felt the need for 2WD" and that most of the riders who seem to feel that need are not experienced "adventure" riders. You really feel otherwise? That was and is not intended to slur anyone, it's a fact. I'd bet the ranch nearly all Ural 2WD buyers have zero experience with hacks and I base that on comments posted on this very website. I don't look down on them for that, I just don't believe they can appreciate what is required in a real world sense. How many of them will ever truly require 2WD? Damn few I'd guess but I can't argue as I don't follow them around checking to see any more than I follow 4WD pickups for the same reason. To sum up I am not opposed to 2WD, I simply do not feel the people who buy them will ever find need for that feature. That's the part you seem to have missed; perhaps because it hit to close to home.

With regard to poseurs I think I'll just let you have your say; it is after all nothing more than conjecture. The people whom you seem to think I've misjudged by appearances were on the track in Alaska and what they were riding was evident even to myself. That they were either amazed or amused by my own ride and in fact found it difficult to accept I was where they were is fact, not fancy.

I really don't like arguing with you or anyone else on this forum, it's too valuable a venue to jeopardize over triviality. I can tell we're probably not to distant in our thinking and having said that I'd rather be friends than adversaries. If you feel the same after reflection perhaps we can agree to disagree and leave this matter as friends. I'll return later and check in.

Best,

LL75
\
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
Mr. Cob

Howdy larrylarry75,

Here it is plain and simple, no bs, no name calling, just the way it is, follow me on some of the rides I have done and then tell me two wheel drive isn't needed and those who use two wheel drive are posers.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #43
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Howdy larrylarry75,

Here it is plain and simple, no bs, no name calling, just the way it is, follow me on some of the rides I have done and then tell me two wheel drive isn't needed and those who use two wheel drive are posers.
Two things, one, I'm familiar with who you are and two, in this instance if your hide were any thinner you'd be transparent. I expect your ego somehow mandates that you pound your chest and throw out the challenges for which I'm not surprised. In response I would suggest this: if you truly intend to communicate in English then learn to read and understand it. No one has called you a poseur but if you feel you have been then you're mistaken. That's exactly what I refer to when I criticize your comprehension of the written word; you evidently go off half-cocked without reason. I'm willing to extend the same offer to you as I made to your friend; it's better to be allies and friends than adversaries. If you're simply looking for a quarrel then look elsewhere, I'm not about to play your game.

LL75
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #44
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Two things, one, I'm familiar with who you are and two, in this instance if your hide were any thinner you'd be transparent. I expect your ego somehow mandates that you pound your chest and throw out the challenges for which I'm not surprised. In response I would suggest this: if you truly intend to communicate in English then learn to read and understand it. No one has called you a poseur but if you feel you have been then you're mistaken. That's exactly what I refer to when I criticize your comprehension of the written word; you evidently go off half-cocked without reason. I'm willing to extend the same offer to you as I made to your friend; it's better to be allies and friends than adversaries. If you're simply looking for a quarrel then look elsewhere, I'm not about to play your game.

LL75
Howdy larrylarry75,

I took no offense by what you said, I didn't give any offense to you, I simply stated a fact, 95% of the roads, trails, tracks I have covered were done in one wheel drive, the other 5% were not possible by me without the use of two wheel drive. Perhaps it is you who went off half cocked, I stand by what I said in its entirety.

I don't have an ego that needs to be fed, I am not the greatest or even one of the better riders or rig drivers who post to this list, but I will admit to getting a bit tired of the same old boast of those who say if a person knew what they were doing two wheel drive isn't needed in some circumstances.

As to your offer of friendship, heck I'll ride with anyone the more the merrier and if I can learn something from someone I'll do it in a heart best and thank them for it, but I'll not sit by quietly when I think someone is smoking some good $hit and not passing it around.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #45
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Howdy larrylarry75,

I took no offense by what you said, I didn't give any offense to you, I simply stated a fact, 95% of the roads, trails, tracks I have covered were done in one wheel drive, the other 5% were not possible by me without the use of two wheel drive. Perhaps it is you who went off half cocked, I stand by what I said in its entirety.

I don't have an ego that needs to be fed, I am not the greatest or even one of the better riders or rig drivers who post to this list, but I will admit to getting a bit tired of the same old boast of those who say if a person knew what they were doing two wheel drive isn't needed in some circumstances.

As to your offer of friendship, heck I'll ride with anyone the more the merrier and if I can learn something from someone I'll do it in a heart best and thank them for it, but I'll not sit by quietly when I think someone is smoking some good $hit and not passing it around.
Fine, I'm glad to hear that. I have no doubts about your riding skills with either 1WD or 2WD, there has never been mention of that. To be candid you have somehow misconstrued what I said in its entirety. Not wanting to debate this till the cows come home but simply for the sake of clarification and understanding here are my words exactly as stated in my first post. i'm doubtful I could have been clearer and there was not a shred of hostility in what I said. I would ask that you re-read it and do so with an open mind rather than one anticipating a personal affront.

" I wish I could comment on the Ural but my only experience has been with my Aprilia Pegaso 650 Cube dragging a Sputnik hack. Jay stuffed it all together for me and it's been reliable and fun. FWIW I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge. I ran into a ton of them on my first ride to Alaska on my Ninja 650R, think I may have startled a few of them but that's a different story.

Rather than comment further, if you have the time and are so inclined here's a link to my blog documenting our ride to Deadhorse, Alaska on our hacks. My buddy Mac rode with me on his brand new Ural Patrol so you can get a feel for both types of rigs including break downs, flat tires, electrical issues, etc. As has already been stated there's not much difference in cost between building or buying but there's one helluva lot of difference in reliability, or at least that's how it used to be. Having said that who could say no to a rig with a freaking paddle as part of its kit? If I were thinking of getting into the weird world of hacks I'd give Ural a really close look but regardless of which way you decide to go you'll have a lot of fun."

And that Mr Cob is everything that needs saying, I'm truly sorry you feel somehow you were being attacked for your choice of 2WD but that simply isn't what I said. I hope you have noted what I actually did say was "I have never needed 2WD" which is not saying you haven't; you simply ride in areas that I and probably 99% of the rest of hack riders don't ride in. Sometimes things get out of hand quickly which is what I feel happened in this instance and I expect we're all ready to move on.

Thanks for your understanding & best wishes.

LL75