User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Touratech Xenon Headlight anyone??

So, I know they are spendy.....but....I wondered if anybody has one of the new TT Xenon twin headlight setup. I've searched the forum and the only thread I found said nothing about it.

How good is it? I really need some better lighting, but I don't just want better driving light, I want better low beam also. I could just add aux lights but would rather not have the extra weight or the vulnerability of them.

I also don't want to blow $1000 on a TT headlight setup that's overated. But if they are as good as Xenon car lights (in comparison to halogen) I want them!

People have also tried HID setup in the stock headlight but with not much luck (am I right?). Not sure that cheapo reflector will be good enough?

In the want for better night light, anybody care to share their experiences?

Thanks,

Pyn

Cheers
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Move to NordKapp during summer, day light 24h a day

Sorry mate for that useless post

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel

My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Thumb TT Xenon

Ive been using the TT Xenon for four years, just the single light on the left side. Works fantastic - all kinds of light. Cost me just over $400 at the time, well worth it! Only 35W, will take abuse, gets peoples attention quickly.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156
Ive been using the TT Xenon for four years, just the single light on the left side. Works fantastic - all kinds of light. Cost me just over $400 at the time, well worth it! Only 35W, will take abuse, gets peoples attention quickly.
Does that act just as a driving light?

Considered this but when you weigh it all up.......seems the twin setup is not all that expensive. I mean....all Xenons cost a bomb!
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Pyn, I know you're overseas now, but even here an HID kit will only set me back $100 bucks or so. I assume you've already got a euro lamp, so why not just give it a shot? I'm sure someone else will buy it if you find it's not what you're looking for, and it's the only way you're going to know.
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
Pyn, I know you're overseas now, but even here an HID kit will only set me back $100 bucks or so. I assume you've already got a euro lamp, so why not just give it a shot? I'm sure someone else will buy it if you find it's not what you're looking for, and it's the only way you're going to know.
I think CMWoody tried this and said it was junk. Reflector not good enough in stock headlight??
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
I think CMWoody tried this and said it was junk. Reflector not good enough in stock headlight??
Nice install guide for 50w HID here from a fellow inmate I think

http://www.timyoungblood.com/ktm990s/hidinstall.html

Just been checking his posts (youngblood) for more info for you and found this, I thought the US reflector wasnt worth diddly but the euro wasnt so bad??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285179

HTH, I'm planning on giving it a twirl using a kit from uk supplier www.hid50.com for no reason other than I know a couple of guys that have bought from here and gave it a thumbs up. (GS'ers)

Be interested to see what the touratechs like too though so I have somewhere else to burn up my batteries with the juice I save switching to HID
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
From what I've seen and read, the Euro-spec reflector is loads more direct than the USA model. If you've got an H4 bulb, than you're still running the USA lamp. It looked much better from what I saw, and I simply saw the light without the HID switched over. Give it a shot man, you're a fabbing extraordinare. Maybe put on one of those huge baja designs lights and make it look tits?
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon

People have also tried HID setup in the stock headlight but with not much luck (am I right?). Not sure that cheapo reflector will be good enough?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
Ive been running a H4 HID (U.S. spec stock bulb) setup for the last few months, I had to modify the housing a bit (had a spare), and I had to shave down the little locking ring that holds the bulb in place. No wiring, just plug in the ballast and it's good to go.

The HID is SUPER bright, but it has no focus. Once you get over the novelty of having the really bright blue light, you notice that it's just a unfocused flood.

One of the motorcycle mags just tested the same basic setup, and rated it WORTHLESS because of the focusing problem.

The problem is that the stock lens assembly is designed for a bulb that has it's filament at a specific length. The HID bulbs have their light source at a different length than a standard H4 bulb. Therefore altering the position of the light source and ruining how the lens assembly focuses the light.

I think if the bulb was held in by a wire bail instead of a lock ring, you could bend it a but and maybe put a washer or two under the bulb to try and fix the focus.

Bottom line: H4 HID kit in the stock housing = Bright as hell, but it sucks. the focus is terrible, all you do is blind people and reflect light off street signs.

I'm gonna swap in my other assembly and go back to the drawing board.
Anywho here's a pic:
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Cant help you with the TT, it is a bit expensive but if the shape of the screen helped with airflow it might be in the ballpark for overall cost. Considering dual Xenon’s and a new screen with the TT. So if you bought the best-HID kit you could find and a new Euro reflector and a new W/screen you could have about $1000 into this also.

The second link that stickysidedown gave you is a good one, did it for me. I went the Euro reflector and dual HIDs. Turned night into day, you can see the improvements in sp4ce pics in his thread. I am sure the more you spend on the HID kit the better the bulbs and faster the ballast comes up to temp.

I went with a cheap set with slim ballasts and only a 35w and 4300k bulbs, with the slim ballast you can keep everything in behind the H/L reflector. The high beem is a bit slow to light up but when it does it is sooo nice.

I would say it was some of the best money spent on my bike. Huge improvement in lighting…

edit: low beam is strong and focused and has a nice cutoff on the top of the beam..

Dusty screwed with this post 01-11-2009 at 06:27 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
to temp.

edit: low beam is strong and focused and has a nice cutoff on the top of the beam..
NICE, maybe my bulb is garbage.

Were did you get the HID kit? I wants one that works, not the crap i have.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughidle
NICE, maybe my bulb is garbage.

Were did you get the HID kit? I wants one that works, not the crap i have.
Do you have the Euro reflector in your bike? I can look back and see where i got it from if you want, i know it wasn't a lot of money...Ahh reread your post i see you dont...

Dusty screwed with this post 01-11-2009 at 10:41 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughidle
Ive been running a H4 HID (U.S. spec stock bulb) setup for the last few months, I had to modify the housing a bit (had a spare), and I had to shave down the little locking ring that holds the bulb in place. No wiring, just plug in the ballast and it's good to go.

The HID is SUPER bright, but it has no focus. Once you get over the novelty of having the really bright blue light, you notice that it's just a unfocused flood.

One of the motorcycle mags just tested the same basic setup, and rated it WORTHLESS because of the focusing problem.

The problem is that the stock lens assembly is designed for a bulb that has it's filament at a specific length. The HID bulbs have their light source at a different length than a standard H4 bulb. Therefore altering the position of the light source and ruining how the lens assembly focuses the light.

I think if the bulb was held in by a wire bail instead of a lock ring, you could bend it a but and maybe put a washer or two under the bulb to try and fix the focus.

Bottom line: H4 HID kit in the stock housing = Bright as hell, but it sucks. the focus is terrible, all you do is blind people and reflect light off street signs.
Excellent....this is what I expected to hear and wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Considering dual Xenon’s and a new screen with the TT. So if you bought the best-HID kit you could find and a new Euro reflector and a new W/screen you could have about $1000 into this also.
And this is what I was thinking.....why mess around with the hassle of trial and error / dissappointment if there is something out there that does the job great.

Now, just need to find someone to tell be that the dual Xenon does the job, anybody?

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
G'day Pyn

I've got the TT Xenon lights and rally screen on my 990 S.

Only the high beam is Xenon HID ( top light ) and the low beam is halogen.

Hows the light? Low beam is brighter than the stock headlight ( i'm pretty sure we get the euro spec in Aus ) but a little less spread.
The high beam is super bright and lights up everything out the front.

There is no buffering from the screen, just a steady breeze and is comfortable to cruise at 140 k/ph.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote