ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
sodops OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R: First Impressions

Just picked up my 1190 and have to say coming out of a BMW F800 Adv. I am super impressed thus far...
Driving off the lot in sport mode I noticed that power was smooth across all gears and torguey like I expected. The rider position was good. Bars were a little low for my frame (6'1) when standing up but bar risers should fix that... when I got close to my house in Colorado I switched to off road and turned off ABS and MTC, allowing rear tire to spin... was beautiful off road, a little stiff, but can easily dial down shocks, forks, etc. I didn't notice a lot of buffering like people have described at high speed, but isn't much of an issue for me. More to follow on Touratech accessories I purchased.
I bought the bike with a akrapovic carbon exhaust (sounds awesome) and ktm heated grips... a must in colorado. The KTM heated grips adds an interface into the display so you can electronically control variations in heat on grips...pretty convienent. Stay tuned for updates.
sodops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
sodops OP
Adventurer

KTM Tool kit and Ak. Carbon exhaust.

Replaced foot pegs and rear brake pad to accommodate my large foot...huge improvement.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Mr.Metal
Adventure hungry

Oddometer: 300
I'll tack on my first riding impressions and we can make a thread of it

I've owned a few bikes in my life, the most relevant here being a WR250R and my DL650. The Wee has been my commuter for years and my best friend in many ways. Calm, dependable, the ultimate commuter in many ways. But.. it left me wanting a little more excitement all around, and it couldn't easily take me on the adventures that the WRR did. I wanted the highway capability of the Wee with the dirt capability of the WRR. Did I get that with the Adventure R?

A few days into ownership, I think so. To be fair, I'm a bit intimidated by the weight and size of this bike, even though the seat is lower than the WRR and it only weights a tiny bit more than the Wee, with the weight feeling lower to the ground. The combination, though, is a tad intimidating, but I know that will pass.

The commuting experience so far has been great. The 21" front wheel absorbs bumps and imperfections with ease, though the TKC 80 knobs do follow/grab groove more than I'm used to with my Anakees. Suspension is baws, power is great (commuting in Rain mode), the dash is amazing and the knowledge that ABS and traction control are keeping me from making some stupid early morning mistakes is great.

I haven't tried offroad yet and I won't until I get my Rottweiler intake installed in the next week or so. Maybe the filter issue is fixed, but I'm not going to roll the dice on this one.

To summarize, I think I got exactly what I was hoping for. I considered other bikes but most had compromises (for instance, I wanted tubeless tires), this one has it all. I'm a Team Orange convert for sure
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 135

Congrats on the new moto! Beautiful machine. My dream bike. Looking forward to seeing what you add and hearing your impressions. Someday......
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodops View Post
Just picked up my 1190 and have to say coming out of a BMW F800 Adv. I am super impressed thus far...
Driving off the lot in sport mode I noticed that power was smooth across all gears and torguey like I expected. The rider position was good. Bars were a little low for my frame (6'1) when standing up but bar risers should fix that... when I got close to my house in Colorado I switched to off road and turned off ABS and MTC, allowing rear tire to spin... was beautiful off road, a little stiff, but can easily dial down shocks, forks, etc. I didn't notice a lot of buffering like people have described at high speed, but isn't much of an issue for me. More to follow on Touratech accessories I purchased.
I bought the bike with a akrapovic carbon exhaust (sounds awesome) and ktm heated grips... a must in colorado. The KTM heated grips adds an interface into the display so you can electronically control variations in heat on grips...pretty convienent. Stay tuned for updates.
Nice pics and write up
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
sodops OP
Adventurer

Bar risers, panier bags, and rear mudguard... all good quality, easy to install... minus the priceyness... worth it.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Thanks for the perspective, Can you guys comment on vibrations compared to the 800gs? Also the 800gs seat distance from the bars was a bit of a problem for me so can you say if the seat is any closer to the bars on the adventure?
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Are any of you 1190 adv "R" guys opting for an extended warranty? Curious to hear what's offered, how much, and how long coverage is?
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
sodops OP
Adventurer

I think the bars are slightly closer and my arms aren't as stretched for sure...
Just went for a drive with a passenger, I recommend a top box if your going to carry a passenger more often than not. Torque can be stressful to passengers and almost threw my lady friend several times when she wasn't holding the handles tight, she stated the ride was more comfortable than the 800 in a more relaxed seated postion.
Just installed the skid plate, have to say it was a big pain in the ass. The instructions are pretty ikea but after a couple of hours of rubber mallet pushing and pulling it got installed, once on it appears to be solid and offers extra protection underneath with brackets attached to the casing... worth the money especially since the OEM skid plate is crap. Don't want to risk the case.
In addition installed the front fender spacers which gets the fender off the tire an extra inch or so... this is the compromise for not running a higher fender and not flinging to much mud.
On ride height, I have a 32" inseam and I'm on my tipy toes, I recommend a shorter seat if your inseams under 32" unless your use to it...
As far as the warranty, my KTM dealer offered a service protection plan on the bike but nothing as far as a warranty is concerned, assume there is an option I just didn't opt for it.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
sodops OP
Adventurer

*I've had the bike through the full range of power bands in sport mode and on the highway up to 100mph, cruising at 80mph I haven't felt any vibration at all. Smooth and stable and haven't noticed buffeting either, running a Schumacher C3 Pro helmet with no issues.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
Try using the off-road ABS, and the traction control in off-road it is amazing.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
staudio
Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 204
congrats on the new bike
Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
kailwathne
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 244
Congratulations! These are amazing machines.
I love your wine barrel tool stand! very classy.
kailwathne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 AM   #14
cookieGB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
is that a touratech postbox you have fitted there?

cookieGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 424
hahah, I was thinking the same thing!

Looks like a pillion backrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieGB View Post
is that a touratech postbox you have fitted there?

1984 GPz550 210kg/58hp/35.5ft-lb
1973 CB350 149kg/36hp/18.4ft-lb
Barekat is online now   Reply With Quote