Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #211
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Did ya do those miles by foot?
+1 haven't seen 300 km before the light yet. :-)) but when the light comes on there is still 5 6 lt in the tank
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #212
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
+1 haven't seen 300 km before the light yet. :-)) but when the light comes on there is still 5 6 lt in the tank
183 miles and the light came on. Computer read 39.5 mpg. Only managed to get 19 litres in the tank, so it does come on early!

Started taking it above 6k rpm yesterday with some more spirited riding- I can confirm- SHE's FAST AS *%^#!!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #213
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
183 miles and the light came on. Computer read 39.5 mpg. Only managed to get 19 litres in the tank, so it does come on early!

Started taking it above 6k rpm yesterday with some more spirited riding- I can confirm- SHE's FAST AS *%^#!!
Yes, I think in the city traffic it consumes more; I got a real 6 lt/100 km during my first trip. I am happy with the range so far.
After 6000 rpm she really starts like a wild animal. :-))))
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #214
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Good to see more owner's pics appear!

Went to England by ferry over the weekend. My wife was on her GSX-R 750 (which has the same horsepower as the 1190) but had trouble keeping up on those small country lanes. Her bike is plenty fast but you have to rev it up and have a smoother road. With all the wet and muddy corners, loose gravel and potholes the KTM feels so much more planted.

Fuel economy went [down] up from 5.9 liter/100 km on the highway to 5.1 on country lanes (46 MPG). I'm still not using over 6000 rpm but the bike needs service now and after that I consider the break-in period to be over. Fuel economy will go down from now!

The fuel light is actually a quite annoying message on the left LCD. As noted, you can only fill up the tank to 18 or 19 liters so there's a large reserve. The GSX-R needed to fill up about twice as often.

Can I add that the 1190 is a pig to clean. We had some rain and the whole lower part and the back of the bike is a mess. That nice looking open swingarm, the locking points for the KTM bags and so on gather a lot of dirt!
While cleaning I noted that there is a 'wear track' or what do you call it on the chain. It looks like it's hitting something. Will have the dealer check it out. If they do any flashes or find any error codes, I will let you know.
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #215
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Tails_KTM;21196812] While cleaning I noted that there is a 'wear track' or what do you call it on the chain. It looks like it's hitting something. Will have the dealer check it out. I/QUOTE] yes, the bottom of the chain is bright cleaned, as if it's passing through a tight spot. Is it what you mean?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #216
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Did ya do those miles by foot?
LOL - light came on during the ride to work this morning ! About 217 miles

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #217
vanilla
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails_KTM View Post
Good to see more owner's pics appear!

Went to England by ferry over the weekend. My wife was on her GSX-R 750 (which has the same horsepower as the 1190) but had trouble keeping up on those small country lanes. Her bike is plenty fast but you have to rev it up and have a smoother road. With all the wet and muddy corners, loose gravel and potholes the KTM feels so much more planted.

Fuel economy went down from 5.9 liter/100 km on the highway to 5.1 on country lanes (46 MPG). I'm still not using over 6000 rpm but the bike needs service now and after that I consider the break-in period to be over. Fuel economy will go down from now!

The fuel light is actually a quite annoying message on the left LCD. As noted, you can only fill up the tank to 18 or 19 liters so there's a large reserve. The GSX-R needed to fill up about twice as often.

Can I add that the 1190 is a pig to clean. We had some rain and the whole lower part and the back of the bike is a mess. That nice looking open swingarm, the locking points for the KTM bags and so on gather a lot of dirt!
While cleaning I noted that there is a 'wear track' or what do you call it on the chain. It looks like it's hitting something. Will have the dealer check it out. If they do any flashes or find any error codes, I will let you know.
Were you the Dutch guy on the Harwich ferry that I spoke to? Friday 14:30 crossing?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #218
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
yes, the bottom of the chain is bright cleaned
Yes umitc, that's it. I just read a long term test of the Ducati Multistrada and they had to replace the whole swingarm twice because the chain ate into it (the journalists apparently don't tension the chain very well). So I'm a little worried...

Quote:
Were you the Dutch guy on the Harwich ferry?
Hey vanilla, that was me indeed . Nice to have met, you were getting the R version weren't you. And you will love it!
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #219
vanilla
Adventurer

Quote:

Hey vanilla, that was me indeed . Nice to have met, you were getting the R version weren't you. And you will love it!
I've got the R already! I should have given you my number to show you the nice roads on my bike- although it looks like u found the nice areas anyway! Let me know if u plan another trip- Norfolk and Suffolk have some excellent riding and good pubs too! (Although the combination of both is not advisable!!!)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #220
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes umitc, that's it. I just read a long term test of the Ducati Multistrada and they had to replace the whole swingarm twice because the chain ate into it (the journalists apparently don't tension the chain very well). So I'm a little worried...
It happened immediately, I am sure that they would notice it, if it was a potential problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #221
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
... We had some rain and the whole lower part and the back of the bike is a mess. ...
Since the oil tank is right behind the front wheel, it would be interesting to know, if the oil temperature drops significant in rainy conditions.

The oil in my adventure bike drops to 55C sometimes when I have to ride in rain.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #222
jpcussen
Jpcussen Cape Town

Oddometer: 23
Clearance issue on 1190 - Who has actually taken it off road, and how it been??

So, when I saw the bike and all the hype I immediately thought about the drop in clearance and having a 990R wondered how much difference the drop in clearance would impact damage to the bike. Lots of assurance from KTM that its a non-issue... I cant help but laugh, and I am not sure if anyone else has noticed, but even in the KTM 1190 Promo Ads it clearly shows a new 1190 with damage already to the header... looks almost flattened in that section. I check on some other images of new 1190's on the showroom and the pipes are perfectly round... so its not a fancy bit of compression or a bomber on the head... check it out below... I have never had a love bite there on the 990

I notice on this thread that there are plenty of 1190's living a life on tar. Jeez, would hate that, but I see lots of road tyres and pictures outside pubs. Who has hit the gnarly trails and woods that the 990 cooks in.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...h=264841;image

KTM 990R
KTM 300 XCW
jpcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #223
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
here is your solution:

this bike to me off road it's better then the 990 adv I had before

once I'll put on knoby tires it's going to be unstopable

I misured ground clearance and it is 248 mm with skidplate, just like the 990 adv standard.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #224
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
here is your solution:

The plate looks very solid. 5 mm?

Georgios screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 12:39 PM
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #225
igorpetrovich