User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Vibrating dashboard

Wanted to check what you guys think about this...

Approaching 85-90 mph my dashboard vibrates quite a lot, and it's difficult figuring out if I do 90 mph or 95 mph.

The rest of the bike doesn't vibrate very much besides the mirrors, but is this normal? The dashboard seems to be fitted well enough in its rubber mountings - do your bikes do the same or should I start to worry?

Cheers V
victorlaszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorlaszlo View Post
Wanted to check what you guys think about this...

Approaching 85-90 mph my dashboard vibrates quite a lot, and it's difficult figuring out if I do 90 mph or 95 mph.

The rest of the bike doesn't vibrate very much besides the mirrors, but is this normal? The dashboard seems to be fitted well enough in its rubber mountings - do your bikes do the same or should I start to worry?

Cheers V
You might say what bike it is (model and year)and what modifications, if any, it has.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
You might say what bike it is (model and year)and what modifications, if any, it has.
Thought it was in my profile but not - it's a 1983 R100RS :)
Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Thought it was in my profile but not - it's a 1983 R100RS :)
Why should I have to go clicking and looking? Put that info in your title and people with that bike will notice. For example, I also have an '83 RS

Are you talking the dashboard as in the fairing with some instruments and the ignition switch, or the dashboard pad thing clipped to the bars, or the pod with the speedo and tach in it?

it sounds like you're talking the instrument pod.

Plaka screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:56 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Are you talking the dashboard as in the fairing with some instruments and the ignition switch, or the dashboard pad thing clipped to the bars, or the pod with the speedo and tach in it?

it sounds like you're talking the instrument pod.
Yes indeed, the pod with speedo, tacho and warning lights. Fairing is fairly non vibrating although the mirrors are.

Only very very light vibration in the footpegs similar to what I experienced 13 years ago when driving another -83 RS...

Cheers Victor

PS I wrote "profile" above but meant "signature". Turns out it's not visible so apologise any inconvenience caused :)
Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 268
I would suspect a tire imbalance.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
This was actually testing the rear tyre which had just been fitted. Before with the worn out and probably oval rear tyre I had severely vibrating instruments from 70mph, now it's much less vibrating and at much higher speed.

The front tyre is new as well, around 500 miles on it I reckon...

Whit the old tyre the entire bake was shaking/vibrating, now it feels fine besides the instruments vibrating so I didn't think it depended on the tyres... Could it be the front one possibly?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
airsmith
airhead wrench?

Oddometer: 138
fork sticksion could be a cause, almost all r100's will feel better if the fork tubes are perfectly aligned.. carb balance under full load could be coming into play and a look at the diaphrams unless known to be good may be needed, also look to make sure all the pod mounting hardware is correct,, (spacers washers, rubber bits)..
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,235
Quote:

Cheers V

Not to be an ass, but why are you riding at such high speeds? Is it a race bike or do you routinely commute on the autobahn?? Surprised no one asked

Have you trued your wheels lately? Plastic and rubber does shrink when it ages

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 01:50 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
LouDiamond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
rubber washer maybe?

On my R90, there are rubber washers on the top and bottom of each screw holding it in place and on top of each of those sits a slightly curved metal washer that completely covers the rubber below (or above if you're on the bottom side). Mine was vibrating a lot as well, turned out that i was missing one of the rubber washers
LouDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Not to be an ass, but why are you riding at such high speeds? Is it a race bike or do you routinely commute on the autobahn?? Surprised no one asked

Have you trued your wheels lately? Plastic and rubber does shrink when it ages
Well, the bike is made for these speeds, and das Autobahn :) Even has a sticker on the inside of the fairing saying "For travelling above 160 mph increase tyre pressure with...".

Front wheel was just fitted when I bought it a couple of months ago, by Motoliner or Motoworks, can't remember which.

Rear tyre I changed last Friday so was balanced then... Not saying the operator couldn't have made a mistake though...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDiamond View Post
On my R90, there are rubber washers on the top and bottom of each screw holding it in place and on top of each of those sits a slightly curved metal washer that completely covers the rubber below (or above if you're on the bottom side). Mine was vibrating a lot as well, turned out that i was missing one of the rubber washers
Interesting, will check that out immediately. That is bracket-handlebars only and not bracket-instruments, right?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsmith View Post
fork sticksion could be a cause, almost all r100's will feel better if the fork tubes are perfectly aligned.. carb balance under full load could be coming into play and a look at the diaphrams unless known to be good may be needed, also look to make sure all the pod mounting hardware is correct,, (spacers washers, rubber bits)..
This is interesting too, could the forks while travelling over good tarmac on the motorway cause these kind of vibrations?

The carbs have been balanced properly, even took her for a longer drive to make sure there were no inconsistencies between the carbs also under load and higher revs and it is all fine.

It doesnt feel as if the engine is vibrating, and there are no nasty vibrations in the footpegs, some vibrations in the grips but the bike feels good enough, only the instruments vibrate at this speed only (not at the same revs in say 2nd gear)...

I suppose it could be normal too but would expect someone to mention it in that case...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
The old rear tyre was extremely imbalanced and caused vibrations in the entire bike, and the instruments vibrated too.

Having fitted the new rear tyre the issue is cured, besides the vibrating instruments at the mentioned speeds.

What would be the symptoms of imbalance in the front wheel, also if only slight?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
LouDiamond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Interesting, will check that out immediately. That is bracket-handlebars only and not bracket-instruments, right?
i believe it's instrument-triple-tree, if i recall correctly. I could reach down and just grab the tach/spedo and it would stop immediately. the vibration wasnt visible, but you could hear it.
LouDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote