Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #31
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Yes I am with you guys. "Restoration" is not the right term for what I intend to do. I want to get it to good running and reliable condition and I want to ride it. A lot. It's a cool bike, and I bought it to use it. Been bloody busy here but sometime over the next week hopefully I can start cleaning and sorting through it. Your feedback/tips/advice are all much appreciated. Looking at it I've had a problem figuring out where to start, .

I also had a good look and it is a SWB bike. I'm not sure what the significance of either is. Is one more desirable than the other? I suppose the LWB is more stable. Matters not to me, just curious.

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 07:05 AM
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,953
The /5 were all SWB at first. Because the American public wanted a smoother ride, on the Freeway, they started making the LWB. Somehow the SWB got forgotten by the time of /6. Supposedly the SWB is quicker turning, or more nimble might be another way of putting it.

I like the looks of a SWB personally but I've never owned one. I don't think there's much difference in value. Some riders would prefer one over the other but rarely do you see some one say "I gotta have a SWB bike!" They aren't rare at least yet. In general /5 seem to be having a recent increase in value. This should be expected. They will increase in value as they get older, of course. /2 has doubled in value in the last ten years.

Clean, clean, clean. Careful to not wire brush the nuts and bolts. Many of these were originally Cadmium plated and many of them are now rusted or discolored. We should maybe have a big discussion about what to do with the original nuts and bolts? But the warning is to NOT wire brush them. They will look really great at first and then they will rust even worse than what you may have now. A lot of riders convert to Stainless Steel and this may have advantages but it also has disadvantages. I think the look of the original nuts and bolts is under rated. You may want to change this but move slowly with this one. It's hard to just replace some of them with SS. Once you start you end up replacing them all.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #33
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,384
beer drinkn, i mean tech day

sweet ride

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #34
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Yes I am with you guys. "Restoration" is not the right term for what I intend to do. I want to get it to good running and reliable condition and I want to ride it. A lot. It's a cool bike, and I bought it to use it. Been bloody busy here but sometime over the next week hopefully I can start cleaning and sorting through it. Your feedback/tips/advice are all much appreciated. Looking at it I've had a problem figuring out where to start, .

I also had a good look and it is a SWB bike. I'm not sure what the significance of either is. Is one more desirable than the other? I suppose the LWB is more stable. Matters not to me, just curious.
BMWs have never been the most stable of bikes, especially when fully laden with bags and screens etc etc, going from SWB to LWB was part of BMWs effort to make the bikes more stable, together with changes in the front suspension and by some accounts, remedying quality control issues which had meant that /5 forks came out of the factory with badly aligned forks. The extra space created by lengthening the swinging arm also provided room for a 28AH battery rather than the weedy 18AH battery on the SWB bikes that could struggle to start the bike on cold mornings.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
The SWB is really flickable. Its quite nice, but you can feel the difference on the freeway.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,384
many miles on a short wb not smart enough to know the difference

u know u have now drank a different kind of kool-aid

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #37
loflyn71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Flux

Enjoy your project as it will be well justified in the end. I've done a few of these, so if I can be of some assistance, PM me. Here's a few of my current projects - http://airheadstuff.shutterfly.com/19
loflyn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Sorry guys I have not been good at updating this thread. But I have been a busy boy. I've spent probably 5 or 6 Saturdays over at my friend's place, being mentored and bringing this bike back to life.

Its ALMOST ready. One more day, I think! Sorry for the lack of pics. I have tried along the way but greasy hands and my DLSR don't really mix, and its been hard to get shots of stuff along the way.

Yesterday I put new bars on it, after a lot of debating, and I chose the Flanders Euro bars. They look way better than the US bars they replaced, and to me the bike is more comfortable now. Also put all new cables on since we broke one of the originals. It seemed like a good idea!

I also used the sandblaster and polished the fork mounts. They look great again. Sandblasting things has been my favorite part of this, and I must resist the urge to blast everything lol. After doing some of the engine parts, they look fantastic. I will likely end up soda blasting the engine. Don't worry, I am not repainting anything though!

Before this, though, the thing that took the most time was cleaning and relining the tank. Good grief, that is a chore. Wes built "the Tumbler": A table you strap the tank to after putting the cleaner, a chain, and some bb's in, and the table turns the tank over and over. The idea that the chain and bb's knock the big crud off the tank. He tells me before that they spent hours just shaking tanks by hand. Screw that! It took a long time to get that tank clean enough. I tried to take some pics along the way but they never turned out. Trust me when I say it was gross. I used aircraft grade paint remover, which has been described as "evil" and I must agree.

After finally getting the tank cleaned and relined, it was ready for test ride, carb synch, and adjustments to idle speed, etc. She ran great, shifted flawlessly, and handled good. The front forks DEFINITELY need redoing. We are going to replace the rear suspension next weekend. Wes' shop is on a gravel driveway so I even got to play "Scambler" for a bit.

Next step is redoing forks, replacing rear suspension, new tires, and changing all fluids, and valve check. Then its time to start riding it and seeing what it might need after some miles! The time is near!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #39
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:

Its ALMOST ready. One more day, I think! Sorry for the lack of pics. I have tried along the way but greasy hands and my DLSR don't really mix, and its been hard to get shots of stuff along the way.
Tell that to this guy...

photo fire_zps40d37b2a.jpg

Looking good Flux!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Holy crap, Jenna!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Holy crap, Jenna!
Ha! No worries on my end. Wasn't me....but he did get a bit flamed for taking a pic before putting the fire out. But I think it's pretty cool he took it!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,743
...brings back memories of my fire-in-the-hole incidence.... good for a laugh and a story after, but holy shit scary when itsahappenin'....this is my only rememberance, now framed in the garage!!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #43
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Hey flux_capacitor, bring yourself and your airhead to my tech day this Saturday!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Nice project. Enjoy!

Hook a brother up with one of those t-shirts.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #45
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Hey flux_capacitor, bring yourself and your airhead to my tech day this Saturday!
Dang, thanks for the invite, but we are going to be camping in TN this weekend. Will you let me know next time?