User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #331
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Planning and sharing

A couple of comments regarding our rides and the report that Frank puts together.

Plan, plan, plan and plan some more.
Cant stress this enough. Frank and Mike do the vast majority of the planning. Tony Huegel is a great resource for us as he provides input and verifies our selections.

Our formula for a succesful Adventure includes fantastic scenery, a bit of history, pavement only as necessary, hotel / motel with a pool and/or hot tub if possible, eat well. And finally avoid any tracks or trails that have the potential for trouble. We don't mind a challenge, but we don't want to beat ourselves up either.

This is our annual vacation. We don't want to work too hard, be too uncomfortable or get hurt. We want to enjoy the scenery and HAVE FUN!

For me personally the Alcan Highway has zero attraction. I dont think I've read a single ride report where the writer reports the Alcan was fun and they enjoyed it. So why do it? Same for us on these rides. They are to be enjoyed and should be fun. Every minute of every day.

I read too many ride reports on ADV that include bike troubles, riders getting hurt, bikes on their sides alot. Not what we want and not really necessary. If you read any of our ride reports you just won't see it. Why? Because we plan these things to the nth degree. You don't see all the behind the scenes wirk by Mike, Frank and Tony.

Sharing with a Ride Report

If you've posted photos and video to ADVRider you know how tedious it can be. One of the reasons I believe you don't see too many ride reports like the ones Frank puts together. I don't have the time and patience to do it. Frank enjoys it and does a great job. But you cannot imagine the hours of work that go into it. Planning the ride report. Sorting through the photos and video from all of us. The thoughtful and creative writing. All for your reading enjoyment and to encourage you to get out there and ride.

These trips are fantastic and we look forward to them and spend the entire year discussing and planning. In fact we are already discussing our 2014 plan. They are the highlight of my year.

I'd encourage all of you that read these reports to do it. Follow our lead and / or get in touch with Tony Huegel who will provide the guidance and help for your own fantastic adventure that will be enjoyable, fun and you will remember for the rest of your life.

John
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #332
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,036
Thank you for that input John. I enjoyed this ride report immensely. The time and work that Frank put into it really shows and I know that many of us appreciated it. Last year I used many other people's RRs to plan my first big trip but wish that this one was there for me to pick over prior to mine. While you and I did see a number of the same places, the roads you guys found were perfect and better suited to the inmates here. Thanks to all of you for sharing this trip. Most who read it will likely never see these places themselves and others will because you guys led them to these jewels.
Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #333
WoodsTripper
1 Track Mind

Oddometer: 20
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post

These trips are fantastic and we look forward to them and spend the entire year discussing and planning. In fact we are already discussing our 2014 plan. They are the highlight of my year.

John
Your rides and reports are certainly in the ADV "A Class". Northern Calee is on my short list too. Knew you guys were out there last year and patiently waited on this report. As usual, it didn't disappoint. Now that you're discussing 2014, I bet I'm not the only one wondering what your plans for 2013 are!
WoodsTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #334
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Thanks

Thanks a million for the ridalong!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #335
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,331
Quote:
A couple of comments regarding our rides and the report that Frank puts together.

Cant stress this enough. Frank and Mike do the vast majority of the planning. Tony Huegel is a great resource for us as he provides input and verifies our selections.

John

may I add that Frank does his homework before asking for local help which is much appreciated.

one question...do you have your shipping skids shipped from arrival point to departure point?
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #336
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 665
Wow! Inspirational, Awesome, Epic, Entertaining. Thank you.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #337
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Did a solo trip this past fall in the same areas you rode. Report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550 Funny, many of my pics were taken right near yours. After the Lost Coast I ended up going south all the way to Cambria before crossing back over. My weather wasn't quite as good as yours though! Great report..... enjoyed the read and your pics as well.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #338
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Great report . Thanks for all the hard work. Like Waches say's ride while you can.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #339
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,222
Tony H. (Byways - http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=45107 )
is one of the grandfathers of pioneering western routes and a great resource.
He's helped me a ton. He blogs about cool roads here: http://backcountry-byways.blogspot.com/

As far as planning tools: Benchmarks Atlas, Charles Well's Books, Peter Massey's books and free MVUM maps (Colorado) are key to planning the route...and a GPS to follow the route.

Awesome RR guys!

Quote:

Our formula for a succesful Adventure includes fantastic scenery, a bit of history, pavement only as necessary, hotel / motel with a pool and/or hot tub if possible, eat well. And finally avoid any tracks or trails that have the potential for trouble. We don't mind a challenge, but we don't want to beat ourselves up either.

This is our annual vacation. We don't want to work too hard, be too uncomfortable or get hurt. We want to enjoy the scenery and HAVE FUN!

For me personally the Alcan Highway has zero attraction. I dont think I've read a single ride report where the writer reports the Alcan was fun and they enjoyed it. So why do it? Same for us on these rides. They are to be enjoyed and should be fun. Every minute of every day.

I read too many ride reports on ADV that include bike troubles, riders getting hurt, bikes on their sides alot. Not what we want and not really necessary. If you read any of our ride reports you just won't see it. Why? Because we plan these things to the nth degree. You don't see all the behind the scenes wirk by Mike, Frank and Tony.

Sharing with a Ride Report

If you've posted photos and video to ADVRider you know how tedious it can be. One of the reasons I believe you don't see too many ride reports like the ones Frank puts together. I don't have the time and patience to do it. Frank enjoys it and does a great job. But you cannot imagine the hours of work that go into it. Planning the ride report. Sorting through the photos and video from all of us. The thoughtful and creative writing. All for your reading enjoyment and to encourage you to get out there and ride.

I'd encourage all of you that read these reports to do it. Follow our lead and / or get in touch with Tony Huegel who will provide the guidance and help for your own fantastic adventure that will be enjoyable, fun and you will remember for the rest of your life.

John
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #340
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
What time of year was this?
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #341
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

First two weeks of September

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
What time of year was this?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #342
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Shelter Cove Post Script

What a cool spot.

The weather was quite fantastic for our stay though we did get to experience the fog, cool temps and moisture that we understand is the predominant weather and turns the locals into Gollum like characters.

Tugboat Annie was a hoot. One of a kind. So glad we were worthy of her attention. There were some poor folks from Canada that had just arrived and were quite hungry. They waited outside for quite a while hoping to have dinner. When a table finally cleared Annie told them it was too late and they were done serving for the evening. Not in a nasty way, just matter-of-fact. Gotta love it.

While I can imagine it would / could be very cool to live in Shelter Cove it is equally imaginable that a person could become permanently depressed living there. It's amazing, make the short drive over the hill inland and the environment is completely different. Hot, sunny and dry. Meanwhile back in Shelter Cove you might not see 200 yards, cold, grey and wet.

Would not have missed this experience for anything, just so glad the weather gods favored us with a chance to see the ocean and the coast.

JB
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #343
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,706
Well done fellas...As a former New Jersey resident but still proud noetheless that some of the most avid ADVriders come from NJ
Indeed i have noticed over the past few years the pattern of riding and the amount of planning it has required to have a great trip all the while without any serious dramas. The fact that you all rode a variety of displacements on this trip was also fascinating to me. Getting to see how they all stacked up...riding the same terrain and all. Indeed it does take some serious effort to write a RR and even more talent to be able to make it entertaing as Franks does very well.

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #344
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
>"There were some poor folks from Canada that had just arrived and were quite hungry. They waited outside for quite a while hoping to have dinner. When a table finally cleared Annie told them it was too late and they were done serving for the evening. Not in a nasty way, just matter-of-fact. Gotta love it. "

Dunno. Elsewhere in ADV rider, there are numerous stories of people 'opening up' to take care of riders (and probably other people too).

Despite Anne's personality, I think I'll not use that resturant.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #345
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Well 1st off, if your in shelter cove and you want to eat then you will be eating there. But don't take it wrong, the place was a gem and definitely part of the overall experience. You will find her interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote