Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
rade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I am planing my 2013 summer trip.
I am going from Norway to Italy and Austria. I whould like to travel from Asutria to Bratislava then to the tatra mounteins and then the Czech.
I have been to Praug befor, so that is coverd so is the Alps. I could realy need tips for roads an places to see in Czech and Slovaki, and places to stay the night.
I am going on a Kwac ZZR1400, i am expecting to meet som bad roads but i dont whant to go ofroad :)
Hi Tom,

I am from Czech Rep. and if you are interested I can do for you some trip/map with things to see... in Czech Rep.
No worries - we are not Africa, so the roads for your ZZR will be fine - however not like Germany...

How many days you have in Czech?

p.s. I have been already in Norway and it was awesome! :-)

Rade
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #17
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Trying again

Thanks to everyone that responded. Last year i did the road trip California,Nevada and Arizona. Hade a great time,but now my mind is back on Czech and Slovakia.
I am wondering what the best roads in the High Tatras and around is?
Was hoping someone could mark all the tarmac roads that around there one google map.

And every big and small tips to Czech and Slovakia are very much welcome.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I am wondering what the best roads in the High Tatras and around is?
Was hoping someone could mark all the tarmac roads that around there one google map.
I was in the High Tatras this past summer. It's a very small area and there is only one loop to make and it's all tarmac. There are some dead end roads, but I haven't been on those.

I stayed at a campsite in Tatranska Strba, that was geared towards hikers (it's a prime hiking destination for the Slovakians themselves). That meant they had a small kitchen, with fridge and some picknicktables with roofs.
There are far fewer campsites in Slovakia than I'm used to in Western Europe.

Spissky hrad is a UNESCO castle in the area (you can park almost next to it, so don't use the parking in Spisske Podhradie itself), or visit the Dobsinska Ice Cave (also on the UNESCO list). (The road from Poprad to Dobsina is also nice.) Sadly the tours were only in Slovakian. It would be quit a hike to get there in your gear though.

If you buy a Slovensko 1:300.000 map locally (€6,90, although mine is blue and says Euroclub and not Freytag & Berndt)), you can easily see the nice routes. And there aren't that many to choose from anyway

GvG screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 11:01 AM
GvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Will the roads in the Tatras be free of snow in mid May, campsites be open etc etc?

Many thanks
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Thanks for Your advise GvG
Is this a good rute? Feel free to give input.

https://goo.gl/maps/9sm8a
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

I didnt see you had put in links in the text before now GvG. Thank you

Tom-Nor screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 01:32 PM
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

I'd ditch the little part of D1 out of Bratislava, because it's a highway with toll. And I'd also try to avoid the R1, because that's effectively also a highway.

Looking at my map of Slovakia, I'd change my route to this. (I haven't ridden this myself, but I have done both the D1 and R1 this summer.)

And are you going to camp or stay in hotels? The Slovakian hotels looked much nicer than the Polish ones. And Zakopane is a tourist trap in the summer, with missing road signs....so following the route was a bit harder there (I don't own a GPS).
Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Zakopane and Zilina are just random picks to plot the rout. I will be staying in hotel,B&B or hut, no camping gear.
I will try and stay off highways as much as possible

I will roughly plane this trip and then take it as it comes along the way.
Only thing i know i will go to is Vienna to meat two crazy Austrian girls that i got to know in Vegas last year.

I have a GPS but i will have maps as it easyer and nicer to study and on b-roads the GPS might take another rout from A to B then you hade in mind.

I much appreciate every tip i have goten in this thread .
I am also open to advises to Hungary and Poland not to far from Slovakia and Czech.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rade View Post
Hi Tom,

I am from Czech Rep. and if you are interested I can do for you some trip/map with things to see... in Czech Rep.
No worries - we are not Africa, so the roads for your ZZR will be fine - however not like Germany...

How many days you have in Czech?

p.s. I have been already in Norway and it was awesome! :-)

Rade
Sorry i dint replay to you. I went to the USA instead and drove a car

You have to forgive me for my poor writing skills as i did not mean to imply that the road condition are horrible, it was just that i have tried to find ride reports from your contry and Slovakia for street bikes, but i mostly found offroad stuff

How many days i have in Czech i dont know. I have set of 21 days for the whole trip but i might get tierd of myself and return soner.
My thoughts now are to just book one way on the ferry and take it as it comes.

I have asked for vecation from mid june but i dont know exactly when i will get it before 1 mai.

Id be very happy for every thing you can give advises

Wher i Norway did you go?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #25
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

I guess that Slovensky Raj is a must to do?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #26
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

That's also a hiking destination. At least if you want to take in all it has to offer.
I've only ridden the road from Poprad to Dobsina, as I stated above and that's a nice road, with good tarmac.

The road from Spisska Nova Ves to the south looks nice on the map though.

Most huts looked like they were built when the Iron Curtain was still up. On the other hand, looks may be deceiving because a lot of hytter in Norway don't look that much better, but they always met all my needs.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

I am not gona hicke, smoke and beer cured me from that
Weather its a hotel or a hut it docent really matter for me as long as its clean. Its usually just a place to sleep.
It looks like i should use three days to ride the Slovakian mountains

I see that there might be som interesting places in Czech along the Polish boarder, like Jeseniky. Any one with experience from that part?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #28
dedomotorhead
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi guys,

I'm from Slovakia. I will help you as much as I'm able to do. Also have a plenty information about Hungary. First thing I should mention is that in Slovakia there is no highway toll for motorcycles. In Hungary, unfortunatelly, the bikers have to pay...

Just tell me what do you preffer? Nature, history, old castles, city tourism, gastronomic trips?

Our roads are good in general. Of course, sometime it gets worse, depends on the area you are passing thru.

High Tatras is quite small place and as GvG mentioned, there is technically only one loop. But if you don't want to stay in tent, I recommend you to book the hotel. Tatras is the top place for tourism. If you will go on SE from Tatras, e.g. to Kosice, avoid to pass thru village Margecany even if the road looks very cool on the map - there are a lot of turns. In mentioned village live lot of gypsies and their childs throw the stones onto cars and bikes. Rather use highway or change the direction to Dobsina and Roznava.

Castle in Bojnice is MUST TO SEE :) Also I recommend you Banska Stiavnica, the town with a great history of mining the gold and silver. This season some mines will be opened. Kremnica is a small town where the golden coins was mint. There is a nice museum of coins. BTW, museums are very popular in Slovakia. We have Museum of Motorbikes (I guess 2 or 3), Museum of Guitars, some kind of Andy Warhole Tribute Museum - he had slovakian roots, something like father of his grand father of his grand father :)

Well, I could write entire night and I would not finished :) You said that you would be here in the middle of June? Ok, let me know I can meet with you and guide you for some time.

dedomotorhead screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 12:56 PM
dedomotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedomotorhead View Post
Just tell me what do you preffer? Nature, history, old castles, city tourism, gastronomic trips?
Hmmm this is a tough one. In general everything, but i think the most important thing is to see and feel Slovakia and Czech if you know what i mean.
To experiance how it is on the backroad, to stop at a smal towns for a coffe and a bite, have a beer on a local pub and ofcorse to see the biger towns and citys to. You migth simplyfi it down to people watching
To tell a litle more about my self, i am a 34years old single boy, more of a hardrock and metal type but i dont burn churches And im not a hardcore person either.

The castle in Bojnice is noted and marked in the map as the rest of the tip in this thread.

I have to admit even if this plan on Czech and Slovakia has been on my mind for two years now i realy havent much idea of the contrys as places to see and stay.

The only thing i know now is that il be leaving Norway on a Ferry from Oslo to Copenhage in Denmark the 20th july, i orderd the ticket last night
No return ticket booked as i will take this trip day by day....well almost.

I dont know exactly what il do when i ride out of the ferry in Copenhagen but i have som thoughts to head to Plzn and then to Vienna, thats a bout as far in planing i have come to

In Slovakia exept high/low tatras and Bratislava i am blank and about the same in Czech.

And Dedomotorhead, what do you think is the "ultimate" way around high and low tatras? A Google map link whould be exelent :)
Your "ultimate" round the Slovakia map link would be much apriciated to

Any tip on wher to stay a night or two in Bratislava, what to do on day time and night time? Im not a disco type and not a metal bar type either.

As you might understand from this messy post of mine, is that i dont know when,wher or how long i will be in Slovakia. But i will let you know, maybe a cup of coffe on the road?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #30
Tom-Nor OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Ohhh and the pleas list the motrobike museums of motorbikes