User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Garmin installation and pannier question

I have a few questions that are very dissimilar but both about the 800. I'm installing the Garmin 665 and looking at the length of cable they give you to hook to the battery, I was wondering if any of you had installation pics or tips to get me through.
Second part is pannier accessories, what have you got and where did you get them. I'm looking for ideas on making them even more useful...
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I have yet to install my Zumo 660 on my F800GS, but I can provide you some tips as I done it on countless bikes. You don't necessarily have to wire the GPS to the battery, you can connect it to a switched power supply in the front (ignition, lower beam, etc) so that the GPS turns off/on automatically with the ignition.

I purchased the following accessories for my panniers:
1. Inner bags: Extremely useful when you just want to leave the panniers on the bike and instead take out all the stuff and bring it to your hotel room. The bags usually are made of pretty heavy duty Cordura.
2. Net for the top lid: You can easily put your rain coat or towel to the inside of the pannier or can put your map into the net for easy access. You'll always access any important items instantly when you open the lid.

For both of the above, you'll need to contact your pannier manufacturer to find out if they make something specifically for your panniers.

3. Reflectors: I have two plastic reflectors on both my panniers, they shine really bright at night and makes me more visible. You can get these in any color (I have white) from eBay. Most of them have an adhesive backing.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
What are those square shaped loops called for strapping things to the top of panniers.
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt View Post
What are those square shaped loops called for strapping things to the top of panniers.
I use the pannier carry handles (manufacturer accessory - nylon straps with a plastic handle) or Rok straps to strap things on top of the panniers.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,329
Garmin

There is actually a plug in the battery compartment that is switched and you can plug the Garmin into that with the BMW switched power cable. That's what I did with my Zumo 350LM.

Here is one place that sells it
http://f800depot.com/bmw-switched-power-cable.html
I doubt you will find it cheaper, but you can search around if you want.

If you don't want to buy the switched power cable, you can splice into the cable of the plug in the battery compartment and still have it switched off when you turn key off.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,074
You can order this cable from any BMW dealer also. When I bought mine 2 years back it was about $17. I use it to switch a fuzebox - might think about something like that in case you want to add more powered farkles in the future (like additional lights, etc.). The cable length on the GPS cradle is plenty long to go either to the battery or to the power plug.

Mind you, the switched power will turn off about 30-60 seconds after shutting off the bike, but the GPS can than stay on if you want, running on its internal battery.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 263
This how mine is set up

I used the BMW power cable, trimmed the cable from the 665 and shrink wrapped it. I like that it powers on and off with the ignition. Used this thread as reference
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260497

Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard View Post
You can order this cable from any BMW dealer also. When I bought mine 2 years back it was about $17. I use it to switch a fuzebox - might think about something like that in case you want to add more powered farkles in the future (like additional lights, etc.). The cable length on the GPS cradle is plenty long to go either to the battery or to the power plug.

Mind you, the switched power will turn off about 30-60 seconds after shutting off the bike, but the GPS can than stay on if you want, running on its internal battery.
Ok, I have this BMW connector, but for powering a fuse block, where does the ground from this connector attach? The negative battery post just like the main Fuse Block ground?

Digging in with a new Shorai battery, fuse block, this pigtail, etc. this weekend.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,074
You only attach the +12V trigger wire, the other two wires just heat shrink or tape off with electrical tape and tuck them away somewhere. The Fuzebox is already grounded through the negative battery (power) connection. All the same ground.
The wire from the BMW connector does not power the fuzeblock, it just activates the relay in it (aka "turns the power on"). The power comes directly from the battery and so does the ground.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt View Post

Footman?

http://www.eberhard.com/series/footman-loops
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I used the touratech locking mount off of the handle bar clamp. It's secure and works well. For power I put a Centech AP-2 fuse block right on the air box. My gps is hot all the time and aux lights/heated clothing is on/off with the ignition. I used the BMW GPS plug for a trigger for the fuse block relay. It works well. I'm not a very good electrician so no pics of my crummy wire routing.