User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
fitness ?

Since 2002, I have enjoyed many adventures on 2 different V-Stroms. On the many organized rides such as LoadedPalooza and the BC Big Trailie rides, I have met many great folks and enjoyed spectacular scenery.

Unfortunately, time on the bike does little for fitness & health so I am back cycling, hiking, snowshoeing, & skiing to avoid long term problems such as diabetes and heart disease.

I will miss the camaraderie and I thank Manxman & LoadedAgain and other folks for their hard work organizing these rides.
Anyone looking for a nice V-Strom 650 check here: http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ425100002

Best regards & happy safe riding in 2013
Ray Browne
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650bc View Post
Since 2002, I have enjoyed many adventures on 2 different V-Stroms. On the many organized rides such as LoadedPalooza and the BC Big Trailie rides, I have met many great folks and enjoyed spectacular scenery.

Unfortunately, time on the bike does little for fitness & health so I am back cycling, hiking, snowshoeing, & skiing to avoid long term problems such as diabetes and heart disease.

I will miss the camaraderie and I thank Manxman & LoadedAgain and other folks for their hard work organizing these rides.
Anyone looking for a nice V-Strom 650 check here: http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ425100002

Best regards & happy safe riding in 2013
Ray Browne
Have you considered stopping every 25 kms, hopping off and pushing the bike for a few minutes? You'd get to ride and improve your health!

Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
You seem to be saying that fitness and riding have to be seperate endeavours. I don't see it that way. To each their own...but having a number of hobbies lead to a more fulfilling existance. Being fit and staying fit doesn't mean you need to give up riding.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
DR650, you should keep in mind that studies have shown that motorcycling helps mental acuity. Also I would really suggest working out during the week and then go riding on the weekends.This way you can have your health and enjoy the fun rides and camaraderie. Mark's Big Adventure Ride looks like it will be a sweet ride this year

Or you could go out and get a dirtbike and ride it up at Blue Mountain or Chipmunk. Now that's a workout. Also feel free to come out and hack and clean trail.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks for the comments. I am keeping a DR650 I share with my son as well as my ATV. I wouldn't like to stop all riding. The multi-day trips are not feasible with my business and fitness schedule.

I may still post some nice offroad reports from the DR
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
DORION
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Fitness

READ THIS www.oftr.ca/articles.php?id=5169&archived=1
DORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

I agree that intense off road riding would be great exercise. However most of my riding was mostly touring and reasonably smooth dirt roads. Very little exercise but very good training for co-ordination by attempting to keep a big adv bike upright on loose gravel.

Calorie calculators suggest that I will burn almost 2000 calories during 2 hrs fast cycling or 700 calories motocross riding.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:

Calorie calculators suggest that I will burn almost 2000 calories during 2 hrs fast cycling or 700 calories motocross riding.
Yep 700 calories assuming you never fall, once you fall, and get up again, then fall then get again... those 700 will catch your 2000 quickly...

which reminds me of a song...

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

good point shipwrek ! I do remember the effort required a couple times picking up the wee?strom - definitely burned some calories
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,676
Intense off-road riding is a major workout, but I agree that gravel road touring is not much exercise, generally. Still better than sitting in a car though.

I try and pack a set of lightweight hiking shoes and explore some areas by foot when out on a m/c tour - that way I get good cardio exercise as well as enjoying the ride.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
DORION
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
i agree that intense off road riding would be great exercise. However most of my riding was mostly touring and reasonably smooth dirt roads. Very little exercise but very good training for co-ordination by attempting to keep a big adv bike upright on loose gravel.

Calorie calculators suggest that i will burn almost 2000 calories during 2 hrs fast cycling or 700 calories motocross riding.
cycling is the way to go for max calorie burn.
My experience mt bike on trails intermediate single track to easier double - approx 22 km + - approx 1.5 -2 hrs burns 2500 + calories. I have compared this with running for 15 km approx 1.5 hrs (im slow) burning 1200 to 1500 calories used heart rate monitor and smart phone pedometer gps to calculate efforts.

have fun
DORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
In the time honored tradition of inmates helping each other, I think I have a found a solution...

This way you can take your bike to cool places and have some fun riding. And since you're having fun you'll be motivated to do it. Motivation is one of the reasons why I don't ride my bicycle as much, since I have ridden pretty much all over the lower mainland. And you have a the added benefit of impressing the ladies with pics of you on your bike in some really out of the way cool places.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgrizzly View Post
In the time honored tradition of inmates helping each other, I think I have a found a solution...

This way you can take your bike to cool places and have some fun riding. And since you're having fun you'll be motivated to do it. Motivation is one of the reasons why I don't ride my bicycle as much, since I have ridden pretty much all over the lower mainland. And you have a the added benefit of impressing the ladies with pics of you on your bike in some really out of the way cool places.

Mike
that has crossed my mind part of my problem is the fact that just getting out of the lower mainland to some quieter, dryer roads gobbles up so much time.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
don't ride to get in shape, get in shape to ride just ask Sean
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Brit711
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
when I was riding 40,000 miles a year for 13 years.... believe me I was fit ! I was just a skinny little guy... (still am I guess LOL) but there's a lot going on when riding a bike... my hands,especially, were extremely strong to the point that my 6ft2 built like a brickshithouse friend could not pull apart my finger and thumb when I put the tips together LOL
ALSO, of course, riding a bike is fantastic meditation... that is the place when you can set your mind free and think clearly ... OMMMMMM...
Brit711 is online now   Reply With Quote