Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
[QUOTE=AviatorTroy;20655054]Yea exept the K60 is awful in the rain, terrible in the twisties even in the dry, and not as good as a TKC or more aggressive knobby in dirt. So they sure don't do it for me, not at all.

Weird. I feel just the opposite. To each their own.

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
Sell the spoked rims and get a set of heidis. Unless you are doing the gs challenge, this is all the tire you will ever need. Don't over think it. Use the extra money on a great trip and send me a pm to thanke
I have 2 disagreements with this concept.

1. If you enjoy a sporty ride, either in the twisties OR agressive off road, those tires have NO grip when compared to REAL knobbies or sport tires. They're all about comprimise and milage and nothing to do with performance.

2. Cast rims dent more easily than spokes. I've dented one and I never air down.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I bought a set of cast wheels a little while back with the idea that when my Tourance's on my wire wheels were ready to be replaced, I'd put a set of TKC80's on the wire wheels and have some streety tires on the cast wheels and swap back and forth depending on what sort of riding I wanted to do. Well, the Tourance's are just about done, but I'm second-guessing my approach now. I'm wondering if swapping wheels will prove to be too big a PITA, and I should just go for a decent 80/20 or 90/10 tire and call it good enough. Most of my regular riding is rough, goaty (supposedly "paved" ) backroads in the Santa Cruz mountains, but I want to have the ability to ride some non-technical dirt when time permits.

In the interest of not turning this into a tire thread, I'm not looking for tire advice so much as I'm looking for input on the practicality of swapping wheels. I'll cross the "which tire" bridge if I decide to stick with one set of wheels.

IMO! Having a second set of wheels is always a great idea. Even if you don't use them for strictly different tire application, you have a set mounted and ready to swap out and don't need to rely on waiting for new rubber to be ready to ride. You can always have a set ready to go for whatever reason

Multiplicity screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 10:08 PM
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I used to have two sets and do not any longer.

It was a pain, a small one, but still a pain and street tires sucked off road and I don't ride hard enhoug to over ride my K60's. So I run K60's and sold the other set of rims.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
RocKrawler
I make wicker cry

Oddometer: 32
I've been considering doing this exact scenario, good to see both sides of the coin. Looks like I might start looking for an extra set of spokes, at least the rear to start out

Age doesn’t always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.
RocKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Parrothead
Cu Dubh

Oddometer: 431
2 sets, with discs

I love having the 2 sets of mounted tires. Both my sets are spoked, use the TKC mounted set in summer and my rare winter off-road ride. For the wet winter riding I put on the Tourance-mounted pair, as said about 30 minute job. For long weekend (e.g.4 day) road trips I run whichever set is mounted. TKCs handle impressively on dry twisties.

And I live in the Santa Cruz mountains!
"... You can go through life fudging and evading, indulging and slacking, never really hungry nor frightened nor passionately stirred, your highest moment a sentimental orgasm and your first real contact with primary and elemental necessities the sweat of your deathbed." - H.G Wells
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #22
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
wheel swaps

I have an hp2 wiith the standard set and the supermoto set. I almost always run the standard set. I just like the feel of a dirt bike in the street more then a street bike. Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Would like to have a second set, but they are just to pricey for the occasional use I would give them. Always on the look for used, but even those are more then what I want to spend at the moment.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
I use two sets, spoke and cast. run street tires on cast and off-road on spokes. My problem is I can switch them so fast that I need to be careful to adjust my riding style. Ride it on conti trail attacks and in ten minutes ride out on karoos. You need to be careful.

If you are forced to either manually R&R your tires or take them to a shop this extra time and effort can be beneficial.

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
okiebandit1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Two sets for me

Anakee2 on black Adv rims for asphalt[. Tkc on regular spoke rims. The aluminum doesn't show rock and tool scars from flats on the trail as bad. Been using Hedi K60 on the rear for off- road for a little more mileage. Found everything on eBay
Over the course of a year, including a set of used rotors that makes changes about 10 minutes.
2010 R1200 GSA
okiebandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
I had two sets of wheels for my 1200GS. Not so much for dirt vs. street riding, but for long distance riding. I used to do at least one full cross country round trip each year (+/- 8K miles) and some other long rides. I hate to stop for tires while traveling - cost and time. So start with new tires and put the half used ones back when I get home.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
El Gato OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Thanks for the insights everyone. I need to put some TPMS sensors on the cast wheels, and swap out the ABS ring that came with them for the later-style one, and I'll be good to go. Thinking of doing the Rawhyde class + basecamp alpha later this spring, so it'll be nice to have some TKC80's on the wire wheels.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I ride 80/20 street and dirt and commute alot with my gsa via offroad routes and have found this to work best for me:

I have a spare front spoke with with disks and abs ring with torrance/tkc on the rims and run the 50/50 tire in rear. Dont mind the rear slipping a little on the tight roads or offroad. ridden palomar (a tight well known so cal road) and scraped my engine guards the whole way up with the setup, and also ridden through sand and rock gardens that even make me nervous on my xrr. swap takes about 7 min on center stand with bags on weighting the rear.

one thing i noticed is that my rotors on each set are at very different thicknesses, have to spread the pads alot to make the sway simple and fast. all you need is a flathead, t45 and axle adapter and (makita 18v impact). super quick front swap.

The rear swaps even faster but i have not felt like i needed one except for long offroad rides where i would run something like a full dirt knobby and even the tkc would not be enough.