Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
burmbuster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Jim - Based on your comments, would you recommend against soft luggage like the Wolfman Teton or Expedition saddle bags, where the mounting straps double as compression straps for the bags themselves?
I think you may be a little confused on the Wolfman mounting straps and compression straps. The same straps are not used to do both compress and mount. The compression straps are independent and run vertcally. The mounting straps are only used for mounting and run horizontally. I have had mine for sometime now and taken them on a few long trips. They worked flawlessly. I generaly check them at my first stop and adjust. After that, they are good for the remainder of the trip.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Another vote for Rokstraps. One of those things that:
A) Initially look expensive (for what they are).
B) Don't seem worth getting; I mean, I'm fine with my current straps, right?
C) Once you've tried them, you'll never go back to using other straps.

Main advantages are: You don't need to adjust/retension or keep checking them. You just secure them and then can trust they will stay done up. You need one, two tops, to secure most things and fitting takes seconds. No need for an intricate 'weave' of knots of the loose ends to stop it working undone in transit.

I've carried an 8ft Christmas tree on my bike with a pair of them. I carry well over a grand's worth of mountain bikes with one Rok strap on my car's cycle carrier; that's how much faith I now have in them.

The only time I take a different kind of strap these days, is as Maggot says, when I'm taking a ratchet strap along anyway for some other purpose (tow line, for tying the bike down on ferries, etc.) and can use that for what I would normally use the rok strap for.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I think you may be a little confused on the Wolfman mounting straps and compression straps. The same straps are not used to do both compress and mount. The compression straps are independent and run vertcally. The mounting straps are only used for mounting and run horizontally. I have had mine for sometime now and taken them on a few long trips. They worked flawlessly. I generaly check them at my first stop and adjust. After that, they are good for the remainder of the trip.
Like I said, I have no direct experience with them. If this is the case, I would still go with ROK straps. I have lots of experience with them, and I trust them 100%.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #49
burmbuster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Like I said, I have no direct experience with them. If this is the case, I would still go with ROK straps. I have lots of experience with them, and I trust them 100%.

Jim
I agree. And that's why I started the thread. I had seen them but couldn't remember the brand. I am adding a dry duffle for the tent and needed to secure it as well as possible.

Thanks for your input!

Brad
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #50
Robidob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
If your not looking to spend a whole ton of cash on a brand name strap check out strapworks. They sell all the stuff to make your own straps as well as pre-made ones and you can customize the hardware and material to match your bike. If you do a search for stapworks their page will come up. Many of the old school options but they all still work.
Robidob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #51
2MnB
Missing

Oddometer: 129
9" , 15" or 24" Voile' straps!!
If 24" aren't long enough hook 2 together and so on .
I've transported 1"x1/2"x 36" copper bar stock 30 miles strapped from rear peg to highway peg, ladders on roofs of cars, paddles on roofs or to canoe thwarts , detained rowdy kids for parent and bystander amusement ( more of a problem solving exercise for them) . Rifles into dragbags, 10 lengths of 60" piano hinge again rear peg to highway peg, kept a tire from rotating with 4 shorter length ones that had a flat and no bead lock way back in some sweet single track. In over 17 years of use I have broke 2.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #52
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
My dealer gave me a few delivery tiedowns. They work great and were free!!
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #53
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
it's one of the smaller sizes...almost as small as the thong hanging up that you missed

I can't believe i missed a thong. where is it? I've been looking for hours. I just thought of a new thread: find the thong in my work shop or man cave.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #54
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Another vote for Rokstraps. One of those things that:
A) Initially look expensive (for what they are).
B) Don't seem worth getting; I mean, I'm fine with my current straps, right?
C) Once you've tried them, you'll never go back to using other straps.
Well said. The things I own which fall into this category are the best things I have.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #55
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 6,820
Cam straps are designed to and have, for me, secured everythigng in by raft when it was upside down in a class 5 rapid. Rokstraps wouldn't stand a chance. Any strap that is not a full tension will stretch under extreme load, like crashing, and loosen the load. Elastic doesn't cut it offroad. So, I stick with cam straps.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I'm not tying anything down but my tools and A spare bottle of fuel and/or maybe a small bag with this. I have no doubt it would secure a helmet or a chainsaw or any other awkward load.

I made it out of two lengths of 2" industrial adhesive rubber tape with another length of 3/4" tape sandwiched between them. I'm not sure where you could buy it, other than an electrical supply house.I think it might be expensive if you can find it.

An electrician buddy saved it from the landfill. It was way out of date, (1986) and the first few layers to spool off the roll were dried out. The buckles were cheap and came from the hardware store (ACE).

Idle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #57
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

I get a kick out of those who think $20 is too expensive to hold $500+ worth of gear!

Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Cam straps are designed to and have, for me, secured everythigng in by raft when it was upside down in a class 5 rapid. Rokstraps wouldn't stand a chance. Any strap that is not a full tension will stretch under extreme load, like crashing, and loosen the load. Elastic doesn't cut it offroad. So, I stick with cam straps.
How much does your load weigh on your raft? I've carried over 100 pounds with two straps on my bike, pictures shown earlier.

Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #59
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 6,820
Quote:
How much does your load weigh on your raft? I've carried over 100 pounds with two straps on my bike, pictures shown earlier.

Jim
To each his own.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
I get a kick out of those who think $20 is too expensive to hold $500+ worth of gear!

Jim

I've used a 4 buck ratchet strap to hold over 800 bucks worth of hockey gear and 1500 bucks worth of golf clubs...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote