User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
mcjetter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Cool2 Mid-South Adventure Ride

Hey guys, I've been reading other reports for a while now and wanted to post one of my own. This is my first ride report so I'll try not to break any of the rules.
It all started as a long burning desire see more of the land around my house and especially the land under the bridge that I've crossed over maybe a million times in my life going back and forth from Memphis to the home of my grandparents in Arkansas.
I have just gotten a Garmin Montana and mounted it to the bike and was exploring the basecamp program and a Delorme map to see if I could find a way down to the base of the bridge to get a cool picture. I tracked out a path that looks like it'll do exactly what I want going from I-40 to the north on a side road and back east again on those dirt farm roads I've seen all my life.

Sounds simple right? My day turned out to be much more complex than I'd thought it would be. I get off on the north bound road find the correct road going east and run into whats seems to be a mobile town called Mound City (I think, it was on a big plywood sign) right on one of the small Mississippi chutes. But alas there was no bridge in sight and and a gated dead end for the road that was on my gps. I did see another road that looked to go in the direction I wanted to on top of the berm that helps protect West Memphis from the spring floods but it was gated shut every time I saw it cross a road. Sucks, Looks like a really cool road to travel on. Oh well, saw no other option but to continue north and try every road that went east. Problem was there were no other roads that went east, the northbound road actually turned west. I puttered around, got off on a few side gravel roads just looking to see what I can see.
Finally, I gave up on the north side and decided to see if I could find any thing on the south side, cause I'm thinking there has got to be a way to access those farm roads and if it isn't on the north side of I-40 then its got to be on the south side.
mcjetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
mcjetter OP
Adventurer

Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
mcjetter OP
Adventurer

Heading South

Next I decided to head south, which meant going south of the "Old Bridge" where I-55 crosses the Mississippi. Thanks to the new gps I noticed an exit very close to the bridge. I got off and explored a vacant lot where they sell fireworks in july and a railroad acces point. Spent some time wandering the lot and adjacent trail but there was much I could do on the bike. Continued further down the exit road but it was going the wrong way . Luckily I came across a local, that told me how to get to the dirt road I've been looking for.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
mcjetter OP
Adventurer