Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
SERE Nate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Here is a pic of my Honda CB 650 with my buddies BMW

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...02056676_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...10074636_n.jpg

I also have a 65 Yamaha yds3 big bear that needs some work still...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19046943_n.jpg

I built a custom 71 Honda CL175 that should be done in a month or so. I'm probably going to sell it though and use the money for the BMW.....

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43715010_n.jpg
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
My first BMW was a 1977 R75/7. Burnt Orange Metallic. Had an S faring mit green gauges and hard bags. Goofmiester two into one exhaust.

Paid all of $1700 for it with 16,000 well maintained miles on it. I put 60,000 on it and did my first Vermont to NC to AZ to NC to Vermont run over the summer of 1988.

It was my only transportation in those days. Be good to it, change the oil regularly, adjust the valves, lube the frame and keep Semichrome and steel wool handy.

But mostly just ride and enjoy it. The power is good, the balance wonderful, and it'll sit at 80-90mph all day long.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Is it me? Am I a bit too touchy? When someone here asks for advice and I spend while two-fingered typing stuff which more or less answers the questions, a word of thanks wouldn't go adrift? Wouldn't it? Bloody Merrycans
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,728
Did somebody say something.... or not say something....?? not catching ^ that....it looks to me like the original poster started two of his replies with "thanks...."

...But I am always willing to give more Thank You's.... the share and teach and learn here is un-excelled!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,784
People say thinks sometimes. It's nice of course. Would also like reports on how the solution worked.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Touchy. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Is it me? Am I a bit too touchy? When someone here asks for advice and I spend while two-fingered typing stuff which more or less answers the questions, a word of thanks wouldn't go adrift? Wouldn't it? Bloody Merrycans
Yes Paul, You are a bit touchy. ;-)

Are you originally from Rochdale? ( I'm originally from Shaw )

Paul (now in Vancouver BC)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
SERE Nate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
Thanks!

I posted last night but for some reason it didn't go through. Maybe because im a noob? Anyways, my buddy picked it up for me last night. It was 25 degrees out and he checked the motor and it was cold. He said it fired right up and sounded pretty good. Said it smoked a little but nothing too crazy.

It will need some tlc but mostly cosmetic. It came with soft bags, wheel and fork bearings, manuals, tool kit, and some extra loose misc parts and gaskets.

I'd love to make the trip to Oregon! That sounds like a realistic goal. I'm hoping to go get it around the 20th but it will depend on the roads. I'm planning on riding it back from Montana. It's in good hands now at least. He's a great mechanic but mostly jap stuff. He's going to do some basic maintenance and check everything out for me.

Pretty sure that I said thanks at the beginning of this post.....

I really appreciate everyones advice and I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #23
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
Yes Paul, You are a bit touchy. ;-)

Are you originally from Rochdale? ( I'm originally from Shaw )

Paul (now in Vancouver BC)
No Paul, I'm not from Rochdale but I have owned three Rochdale Olympic sportscars, wrecks to be honest with you. For those who might not know, Rochdale Motor Panels had a factory in the Lancashire town of that name and built GRP bodyshells for sportscars from the early 1950s until the late 60s, the very early days for GRP. The Olympic slightly resembles the Porsche 356 and had a GRP monocoque bodyshell, pretty unusual at the time. Only about 120 Olympics are known to exist.

Touchy? Touchy? I expect at least a bunch of flowers next time. Roses are my favourite.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
No Paul, I'm not from Rochdale but I have owned three Rochdale Olympic sportscars, wrecks to be honest with you. For those who might not know, Rochdale Motor Panels had a factory in the Lancashire town of that name and built GRP bodyshells for sportscars from the early 1950s until the late 60s, the very early days for GRP. The Olympic slightly resembles the Porsche 356 and had a GRP monocoque bodyshell, pretty unusual at the time. Only about 120 Olympics are known to exist.

Touchy? Touchy? I expect at least a bunch of flowers next time. Roses are my favourite.
Hi Paul,

I thought it wise to reply :)

I am familiar with the Rochdale Olympic sports car, way ahead of their time. I'm sure they influenced another great Lancashire sports car manufacturer TVR.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Bmw

Keep it stock, ride it, and after a year or two, then figure out what you might want to change, Depending on how you ride. They are pretty nice in stock form ( as long as there is not something really bad, ie, leaky rear shocks, etc. nice find, enjoy it !!
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
SERE Nate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a link to a video of it running.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater