User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #61
greentreephrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
spline wear

So SS, if I understand you correctly, should we expect that a machine which suffers from worn/stripped splines should, unless corrective action is taken, continue to suffer the same, irrespective of the application of lube? If so, can we expect to find at least anecdotal evidence of this - owners who report continued trouble with this despite their assiduous maintenance of the spline? This would lend weight to your suspicions, and would be very useful information to all owners.
greentreephrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #62
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentreephrog View Post
So SS, if I understand you correctly, should we expect that a machine which suffers from worn/stripped splines should, unless corrective action is taken, continue to suffer the same, irrespective of the application of lube? If so, can we expect to find at least anecdotal evidence of this - owners who report continued trouble with this despite their assiduous maintenance of the spline? This would lend weight to your suspicions, and would be very useful information to all owners.
Unfortunately, repeated spline wear while making sure all other possibilities are exhausted is about the only way to diagnose misalignment. As I said earlier, K75's seemed to have the problem the worst. I have seen BMW warranty K75's for the problem. Most of the time I think the splines letting loose is from soft clutch hub metal. More rarely, input shaft hardness. Repeatedly wearing splines with those bases covered leaves you with a misaligned transmission.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #63
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
I think that some k75 clutch parts are the same as fitted on post 81 airheads
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
supershaft
because I can

I don't think so. I use to work on a race bike that had a K75 clutch in it. We could look up the PN's if we cared to find out. Besides, as I understand the alignment issues, it has nothing to do with the clutch parts. As far as the all the later bikes with similar clutch designs having soft metal issues? You bet. They ALL do that. Occasionally, the splines let loose.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #65
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
The K75 was the worst. I have had to repair at least 30 of those with the alignment issues. Some k1100rs and the first series of R1150RT's had it more often than other types.
On my R80 mono I never lubed the splines and still have the first clutch in the bike after 400.000km this bike shifts real smooth. The same with my 91 R100 mono 300.000 km no spline problem without extra lube.

A friends bike (1990 R100 mono) doesn't shift smooth and has more wear of the splines even with him putting the lube on the shaft's splines.

With the K75 if the shifting from 3 to 2 got worse it was a sign of bad gearbox engine alignment. And could not be solved with some lube putting in a new shaft and clutch plate would help for a while but the problem would return.

Using to much lube is something I have seen verry often. IMHO if the alignment of your gearbox/engine is ok you can do without the lube for a long time without the extra wear of the splines.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #66
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post

Why are you always telling me what I am hot to do? Where do you get off??? And once again, you are wrong about me being hot to debunk the rumor, as usual. You would think you could get a clue and give up second guessing my personal motivations for discussions here since, so far, you have always been wrong either in part or full. It's as if my personal motivations matter to start with. AS I SAID EARLIER, I hope the brass switches are available for the later model bikes. I just can't find a PN AFTER looking. Last I checked, both Hucky's and Motobins had one brass switch. We need two if we are going to use them on all of our airheads.
Settle down there, dude! Don't getcher panties in a twist.

Just pick up the phone and call Hucky, or send Motobins or one of the other shops an email. Only takes a minute, you know.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #67
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Settle down there, dude! Don't getcher panties in a twist.

Just pick up the phone and call Hucky, or send Motobins or one of the other shops an email. Only takes a minute, you know.
That might have been funny the first ten or twenty times you went to all that trouble trying to throw me under the bus with your made up psycho analysis of my motivations but that was a long time ago. Perhaps I see progress? More than half this last post is actually on topic. You can do it Ws! I know of a number of inmates including myself that would be thankful.

I don't need to buy one right now. The last time I did I assumed their websites would list a part if they had it. No need to bother them right now. So I guess no inmates reading this out there have actually ordered a brass neutral switch for the later model trannies?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #68
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So I guess no inmates reading this out there have actually ordered a brass neutral switch for the later model trannies?
I had 4 brass ones. But 2 snapped when I tightened them which I never had with all the original ones I replaced.
The brass ones I had came from Siebenrock.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #69
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
I had 4 brass ones. But 2 snapped when I tightened them which I never had with all the original ones I replaced.
The brass ones I had came from Siebenrock.
For the later models? Great! I guess you did test the switch?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #70
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
For the later models? Great! I guess you did test the switch?
Yes I did test them. They work but I would like to know if they last long enough.
My original ones last about 10 years. And didn't use the brass ones that long yet.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #71
LandLeftBehind OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138

Does the oily black grunge under the clutch look like an indication of a problem to you guys? It might just be the oil that was leaking from the neutral switch, but Im not sure why it would be all the way in there.

As far as I can see there is no oil fouling of the clutch components. There is no oil leaking from the transmission either.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #72
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLeftBehind View Post

Does the oily black grunge under the clutch look like an indication of a problem to you guys? It might just be the oil that was leaking from the neutral switch, but Im not sure why it would be all the way in there.

As far as I can see there is no oil fouling of the clutch components. There is no oil leaking from the transmission either.
Weepage from rear engine seat. if there isn't a clean line where it's washing the dirt off, walk away. Clean it up a bit with a solvent soaked rag and monitor it when you do your yearly clutch spline lube.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,896
Quote:
That might have been funny the first ten or twenty times you went to all that trouble trying to throw me under the bus

Oh for christ sake! Would you quit the attack/attacked mode? You've got some good data, but the anti social behavior pretty much nullifies the positive. I've been on this forum for over ten years now, and you're one of the first who feels he has to attack me. The other two got booted.

Landleftbehind - If it were me, I'd pull the clutch and take a look. Some guys replace the rear main just cuz they're in there, but I wouldn't do that. But I would take a look and fix whatever's wrong - might be the oil pump o-ring.
Or you could do like Plaka says since nothing has failed yet, keep an eye on it, and be ready to go back in there sooner or later. I have no idea how long that might be.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #74
LandLeftBehind OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Noted. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #75
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post

Oh for christ sake! Would you quit the attack/attacked mode? You've got some good data, but the anti social behavior pretty much nullifies the positive. I've been on this forum for over ten years now, and you're one of the first who feels he has to attack me. The other two got booted.

Landleftbehind - If it were me, I'd pull the clutch and take a look. Some guys replace the rear main just cuz they're in there, but I wouldn't do that. But I would take a look and fix whatever's wrong - might be the oil pump o-ring.
Or you could do like Plaka says since nothing has failed yet, keep an eye on it, and be ready to go back in there sooner or later. I have no idea how long that might be.
Attack you? I was and still am responding to you wrongly accusing me of my personal motivations. Stop it and this will stop. It's as simple as that. I hope a moderator warned you about threatening people when they recently removed a bunch of crap just like this the last time you started making yet more personal accusations? Not that I think the above quote is a direct threat but it is pretty close to one for just having had a bunch of posts removed for it. It is against the rules in spirit if not in writing. I wish they would remove all the post starting with your personal accusations and all my responses to it again and try to get you to stop making personal accusations and stick to the topic of motorcycles. PM with all your personal crap and then I can not read it there and won't feel the need to defend myself. I could live with that solution.