Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #76
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,832
I would get a mirror and a light and find out right now if that oil is coming from the RMS or pump cover. I think you can look through the clutch a bit too? I can't remember for sure right now.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #77
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Being a clutch carrier type of bike, the oil may also be leaking past the guide ring o-ring.

As an aside, how do yer spell dejavu? You know that word for having witnessed the same thing before?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #78
LandLeftBehind OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
A bizarre issue arises

Ive been having trouble getting my trans align squarely and flush with my engine:

It was hard to capture a picture of this, but you can see the top left side of the trans hangs over just about a mm. The other side under-hangs by about a mm. For some odd reason, the bottom portion or the trans seems to line up OK with the engine.

I spent quite a while cleaning the contact surfaces prior to attempting to install the trans. It was hard to get the surfaces totally 100% clean even with a variety of tools, but they looked pretty good anyway so I carried on.

Before bolts are even installed, with the trans just manually held up against the engine, I notice this mis-alignment. So I back tracked and inspected everything. The right mating surface on the inside of the engine case appears to protrude from the case LESS than the right, as though it were worn down or damaged. The thing is, it doesnt appear to be damaged at all.

One would think that since this mating surface may be causing a fit problem, the transmission would wiggle a bit when fit up against the engine - that is not the case. The thing does not budge.

Ive tried a variety of tricks to get things aligned, including operating the clutch while carefully work the trans closer with the bolts installed. I get the same result everytime. I was hoping with a little torque things would line up, and I have applied a little, but it doesnt seem to be fixing the issue.

So this probably all sounds insane, and maybe Im just being paranoid, but I have read how important fitting the trans squarely to the engine is, so I figured Id get a few opinions before moving forth.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #79
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLeftBehind View Post
Ive been having trouble getting my trans align squarely and flush with my engine:

It was hard to capture a picture of this, but you can see the top left side of the trans hangs over just about a mm. The other side under-hangs by about a mm. For some odd reason, the bottom portion or the trans seems to line up OK with the engine.

I spent quite a while cleaning the contact surfaces prior to attempting to install the trans. It was hard to get the surfaces totally 100% clean even with a variety of tools, but they looked pretty good anyway so I carried on.

Before bolts are even installed, with the trans just manually held up against the engine, I notice this mis-alignment. So I back tracked and inspected everything. The right mating surface on the inside of the engine case appears to protrude from the case LESS than the right, as though it were worn down or damaged. The thing is, it doesnt appear to be damaged at all.

One would think that since this mating surface may be causing a fit problem, the transmission would wiggle a bit when fit up against the engine - that is not the case. The thing does not budge.

Ive tried a variety of tricks to get things aligned, including operating the clutch while carefully work the trans closer with the bolts installed. I get the same result everytime. I was hoping with a little torque things would line up, and I have applied a little, but it doesnt seem to be fixing the issue.

So this probably all sounds insane, and maybe Im just being paranoid, but I have read how important fitting the trans squarely to the engine is, so I figured Id get a few opinions before moving forth.

I would suggest that the clutch is not aligned properly, back off the clutch screws a bit so the clutch components can move relative to one another, refit the gearbox and you should find that it fits as the clutch parts realign. Remove gearbox and tighten up clutch bolts.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #80
LandLeftBehind OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Thats a great idea. I havent touched the clutch so its odd it would be out of alignment. That seems to be the best solution now.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #81
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
Your clutch plate isn't exactly centered and is keeping the transmission from lining up. Hook up the throw-out stuff and clutch cable. Pull in the clutch and align the transmission.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #82
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 979
So is it possible that the clutch disc can be off slightly and the input shaft still slide home? Is that one of the things supershaft speaks of that can lead to premature spline failure?

I recently replace a clutch disc and had a tranny rebuilt due to my previously mentioned poor maintenance habits. When I attempted to first install the tranny she wouldn't go home, but when I turned the shaft she found her way alright. Bolting the tranny back to the engine case was pretty straightforward. I guess I didn't figure there was much wiggle room for error if the tranny slid home.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #83
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
So is it possible that the clutch disc can be off slightly and the input shaft still slide home? Is that one of the things supershaft speaks of that can lead to premature spline failure?

I recently replace a clutch disc and had a tranny rebuilt due to my previously mentioned poor maintenance habits. When I attempted to first install the tranny she wouldn't go home, but when I turned the shaft she found her way alright. Bolting the tranny back to the engine case was pretty straightforward. I guess I didn't figure there was much wiggle room for error if the tranny slid home.
There is all sorts of wiggle room...but the tranny won't line up. IIRC it's on pins so the variation is limited. The disk may or may not be centered on the pressure plate/flywheel. If it's a bit off, the splines will still engage but it gets weird from there.

The airgead doesn't use a pilot bearing in the flywheel/crankshaft. Where this is used (like cars) the clutch disk must be centered on the pilot bearing. This is done with a simple plastic alignment tool that looks like a tranny input shaft without the tranny..
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote