User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My $200 99 XR400R

So I found this on Craigslist for $200 and picked it up as my first bike. It doesn't run but it is complete minus the right side panel. The previous owner said it sat for winter then wouldn't restart. It had over $300 of carb work done last year and the motor was also bored out to a 420. I honestly call BS on all this. Anyways. So far I've found the clutch lever perch broken so I ordered a replacement off ebay as well as the mandatory Clymer manual. I will also be picking up a new spark plug, oem spark plug tool, oil and filter today. My plans are to get it running and make it street legal so I can register it for street use. I'm also gonna have to apply for a bonded title since it didn't come with one but that's not unusual for Mississippi since your not required to title off road vehicles.

theoutlaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

So to update. The bike does run. I just needed to learn how to kick start it. I also had to replace the dry rotted fuel line. It runs smooth too. I did replace the clutch perch. I picked up some side panels off ebay as well as a glass headlight that takes the H3 bulb to give me a brighter headlight. I'm gonna try to check the sparkplug, install the new side panels, get a valve adjustment and oil change done this weekend. I'm also gonna clean out the oil strainer at the bottom of the frame. I was looking at the taillight socket on this bike and realized all I need to do to add a brake light is run down to an auto parts store and find a dual filament socket that will just clamp in there like the factory one. I also need to pick up some bolts to mount the tank. Its just ziptied on there by the previous owner because they snapped one of the bolts off. I already extracted it. I just need to put new bolts in.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Nice bike for that price to learn how to fix and how to ride
Don't forget to replace or clean and lubricate a drive chain and check that fork if it works properly
MCVL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
damn that cheap & i think the deal of the season!
since it was so cheap, just buy all new plastic and a new tank and clean her up. learn the start technique, adjust the valves spot on & put an iridium plug in there. i bet you had a huge smile when she fired up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
Nice find and an even better price. I'm jealous those are one the of the all time greatest bikes.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,887
Holy crap that's a buy. I wouldn't sale the basket case I have that cheap.

Oh and get into the mississippi threads. Lot of guys down that way to ride witnh and he'll you out.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I always search craigslist for the elusive deal of the century, seems you found it!!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Time for an update. The tank was zip tied on because it does not fit this bike. I ordered a used xr400 tank off ebay and new mounting hardware from Motosport.com along with a Renthal chain and sprocket set (16t front and 45t rear), and Michelin T63 tires (90/90/21 front and 130/80/18 rear). I also ordered a dual sport kit off ebay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111144842535?nav=SEARCH it had a make offer when ordered it so I got it for 200 shipped. I also already ordered a rectifier/regulator. I will be ordering a Ricky stator soon as well as getting a 12v sla 7ah battery. For the missing title I'm doing the Vermont route.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Did you figure out how to kick it?

Cycle through until you get to TDC (resistance), pull in decomp, push it ever so slightly past TDC, release decomp, let kickstart lever return to top, then give it a strong kick down. My 650R and 250R are one kick starts with that procedure. The pumper carbs help though .
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
theoutlaw82 OP
n00b

Yes I did. It starts and runs fine. No smoke at all.