User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
porterjw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Klr250 oil change issue. Help!

I am at least the third owner of a 2005 klr250. I'm currently performing MY first oil change. Rode it for 500 miles on the word of the PO, then decided to change the oil and filter. Oil has been drained and filter removed. There is no "pin" in the middle of the oil filter. Has the damage been done, am I ok, or do I need to stop what I'm doing and order the part? If so, can someone get me the part # and a recommendation on where to get it.
porterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Fear not; little if any consequence; the engine's just been running on unfiltered oil for as long as the oil tube has been missing!

In fact, the circumstance is the same as when the oil filter clogs; the bypass valve then allows unfiltered oil to pass through the lubrication system, preventing oil starvation.

Honda, in fact, manufactured many small engines with no disposable oil filter at all, depending upon reasonable oil changes to assure adequate lubrication and freedom from excessive oil contamination.

Your situation is not uncommon; some jettison the oil tube with the spent filter; not unlike tossing away an automobile oil filter cartridge . . .

Part number for the oil tube? Available from the fiches and parts lists from Kawasaki, BikeBandit, etc.

Just change the oil, and replace the oil tube when the part comes in, and you'll be fine, I'm betting.

(Oh yeah; no need to put in a new filter 'til you get an oil tube; without the tube, the filter just lolls around in its enclosure with nothing whatever to do!)
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote