Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #181
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I'm optimistic that the rest of the motor will be fine. If the filter plugged then the bypass valve would open and pump shavings
To the top end and gearset. Pop a valve cover and
Look for flecks that have settled in the valleys up top.

If it's clear, I'd feel pretty good about leaving bearings and stuff alone.
That sounds like a really good plan... being able to avoid splitting the case would be a very good thing.

BTW, what's the opinion on the timing chain given 30k miles? My own motor will be at 30k when I get ready to do my own 790 this year.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #182
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
That sounds like a really good plan... being able to avoid splitting the case would be a very good thing.

BTW, what's the opinion on the timing chain given 30k miles? My own motor will be at 30k when I get ready to do my own 790 this year.

Rob

After a quick Google search, I turned up nothing about timing chain replacement. Anybody else have better luck?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #183
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
After a quick Google search, I turned up nothing about timing chain replacement. Anybody else have better luck?
On offroad race bikes, ie. YZF's, RMZ's etc, it's a not a bad idea to do the timing chain at each top end replacement. And for sure at head rebuild time. But the chains on these bikes are much more highly stressed.

I have never heard of timing chain issues on the DR. But I am guessing the chain is a very reasonable price. Just think of it as insurance.

Personally when the top end is due on my DR I will be installing a new chain, for what it's worth.
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #184
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Alright guys, just an update. The new piston and my honed out cylinder should be arriving back on my door step on Monday. Procycle sent me an after pic of the cylinder, and it looks great. he said he wouldn't have a problem running it in his bike. For a guy running a buisness, he wasn't pushy at all about buying a new kit from him. He also gapped the rings (for the tutorial) so the kit is now plug and play. I will still go slow with the install and check over everything again, but I'm confident with my knowledge now to do it all correctly. I'm off on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, so I'll probably install it then.

As for the metal in the engine. I do not feel comfortable enough to tear open the engine, so I will just be doing many oil changes in the first 100 miles. If I continue to see metal towards the 100 mile mark, I'll man up and open the engine. I believe with constant oil changes and a mag drain plug, it will be alright. Again, if I run into problems down the road, its nobody's problem but mine. There was no metal flakes on the con-rod or in the gears towards the bottom and back of the case, so I believe the oil system is doing a good job of cleaning it.
Procycle sells a magnet that sticks to your oil filter and gets the really small stuff. Get a couple of those while you're at it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #185
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Procycle sells a magnet that sticks to your oil filter and gets the really small stuff. Get a couple of those while you're at it.
The bigger problem is likely to be that the shavings are aluminum instead of steel. If I remember correctly, those magnets aren't going to grab non-ferrous metals. I could also be talking out my butt, so take that with a grain of salt.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #186
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
The bigger problem is likely to be that the shavings are aluminum instead of steel. If I remember correctly, those magnets aren't going to grab non-ferrous metals. I could also be talking out my butt, so take that with a grain of salt.
That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

Not you talking out of your butt, but the magnets not helping on the aluminum flakes.
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #187
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Well boys and girls, the DR790 is running! Here is the (hopefully) final installment of this build thread.

After work yesterday, I found a lovely box with the procycle logo on it waiting for me. I started to open up the clutch cover again to check for any metal in the clutch and bottom of the case. I took apart the clutch and washed each plate of with oil, and only found 1 flake total. After putting the clutch back together, and the cover back on, I started to finish the engine.
The cylinder came back honed out and ready to go:

The scratches on the bottom really arenít near that bad, they just look that way due to the flash I guess. They are barely felt when you run a finger over them. Also in the box was the new piston, and the rings, already gapped by Procycle. Procycle also caught me off guard and threw in a few other things into the box. I didnít order these things, and was not charged. I got a Magnetic drain plug, 2 oil filters and my very own DR650 mug!

Jeff at Procycle is really a stand up, kind gentleman. I thank him for all the support through this installation, and the free goodies.

Onto the installation: I started by getting the first circlip into the piston, then covering the wrist pin with a light coat of oil, then installing it and the next circlip. I checked the ring gaps prior to installation, at the top middle and bottom of the cylinder and everything as within spec. The top ring is set to .020Ē and the 2nd is .026Ē. The oil rings are .015Ē

I positioned the rings as it says in the service manual, and installed the cylinder. It was MUCH easier this time getting it on. The cylinder was able to get on without excess force (remember I had to use a mallet the first time?). After that, I just did exactly what I did last time. Everything was simpler this time, haven done this twice now.

Once it was all together, I had to go buy new oil. When I did the first oil change, I added fresh oil. I ran the bike for 2 minutes (before knowing what the issue was) and drained the oil and put it back in the container of good oil. When I went to go use that oil yesterday, it was very metallic. I decided not to use it, and just went to get new Rotella diesel oil. Anybody else notice the price went up recently? Or it is a NY thing? I think I bought it a few months ago for $14\gal, now it was $19.

The bike fired right up (maybe 2 cranks), no blue smoke, no oil burning smell, no weird noises. In fact, it was quieter than ever before. I ran the bike till the oil heated up and then took it for a quick ride (2 miles). It ran perfect, sounded great, and felt like a new bike.

Today I took it out and did a 30-40 mile loop, and came back to change the oil and filter. The oil had a metallic look to it, but in no way did it look like it did before. The filter had 1 visible flake. I will rip it apart soon to see what I find. There were also small shavings on the mag drain plug. I changed the oil and went for another ride. The bike feels amazing. It pulls from a very low RPM and it has this beast feeling above 4500 rpm. Iím really excited to see what 2 up will feel like. I did the same ride I did when the first piston failed, and pushed the bike a little harder. It didnít skip a beat. When I got home, I checked for leaks, and there were none.

I Stopped over at the closed old Grumman airport in Calverton, NY. As a pilot, I would often fly over this airport, and do practice emergency approaches. The goal was to get as low as you can without touching your wheels to the ground, and then simulate a go-around procedure. Now the airport serves as a storage ground for all the cars that got messed up during Hurricane Sandy. It was pretty shocking to see how many cars there actually are. I wonít be buying a used car for a while in this area, you just donít know whoís out to scam you.

This picture is just the outer parking lot, the runways\taxiways are further up and covered with cars. There are cops around to prevent people from stealing parts, so I couldnít get a picture over there.

After the ride, I called Jeff to thank him for all the help and freebies. We had a nice conversation, and Jeff if youíre ever in the NY area, Iím buying you a beer!

Iím going to keep this thread going with some rides\fuel eco\and any service I have to do. Thanks guys!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #188
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:

Iím going to keep this thread going with some rides\fuel eco\and any service I have to do. Thanks guys!
Congrats! Keep us all posted as I am sure we will continue to follow this thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #189
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Hey Planemanx,

I am very happy for you. I am so glad you got the beast back up and running without any further hiccups. Do you have a dealership in your area with a bike Dyno? If so, I would be willing to pitch in some $$$ to help pay for a dyno run so we can all get an unbiased look at the power your DR790 is making.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on this kit, but I am also running the original carb w/jet kit, and after talking with Curt from PC, he doesn't suggest doing the big bore until the carb is replaced. I am a tight-a$$ and don't want to drop that much money at one time (carb plus 790 kit).

And a big thanks for showing us all your character by not calling names, taking responsibility for the ring gap issue, and sucking-it-up to bring this project home!

Ride safe my friend, and I'll be looking for more installments into the DR790 saga, ala power/mileage/future mods/two-up performance, etcetera...
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #190
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,092
Awesome news!! I'm so glad to hear it's back together now. I hope it continues to run without issue for many, many miles!

Now that I've seen that DR650 mug, I want one! I'll be ordering one with my next order. Great marketing move, Jeff! :)

VooDooDaddy: Go ahead and do the carb. It will make a very noticeable improvement in your bike. Maybe not as much as the 790, but close! It's well worth it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #191
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Hey Planemanx,

And a big thanks for showing us all your character by not calling names, taking responsibility for the ring gap issue, and sucking-it-up to bring this project home!

And to Jeff at PC for being here and helping out over and above what most vendors would deliver. How many vendors are so up front in forums, let alone accessible?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #192
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
I would do TWO more oil/filter changes, at 20 or 30 miles of each other.Keep opening the filter and look what it has collected.Need to get as much of that smagg as possible out of the guts.Kudo's to ProCycle .All in all it turned out Ok.Hell of a learning experience,but you did good!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #193
Sparko
CoDen

Oddometer: 20
I have a new to me DR. I will be adding some new "stuff". After reading how Pro Cycle went way above what most vendors would ever do, Pro Cycle will be getting my business.
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #194
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Good for you planeman.

Now bring that thing out to the Rockies !
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #195
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 253
Great news Planemanx, delighted to hear things went back together so well. Thanks agin for posting all of this.

Congrats and enjoy.

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote