Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #196
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
This is all very good news indeed. A 790 Thumper. I believe I would like to do the same with a DR650 when I get it and Pro Cycle gets the nod. Perhaps someone knows the before and after HP and Torque numbers on such an upgrade. Also what might the extra boost in power have on the rest of the engine, transmission and clutch? I wouldn't think too much.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #197
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
This is all very good news indeed. A 790 Thumper. I believe I would like to do the same with a DR650 when I get it and Pro Cycle gets the nod. Perhaps someone knows the before and after HP and Torque numbers on such an upgrade. Also what might the extra boost in power have on the rest of the engine, transmission and clutch? I wouldn't think too much.
The dyno charts are all available on ProCycle's site.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #198
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,143
This thread embodies everything I enjoy about ADVRider.

Good info, helpful members, great vendors. It's a good read. Now just waiting for a ride report with the DR!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #199
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
More snow! nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ripped apart the second oil filter (with 30 miles on it)

Considerable less metal. Granted its only got 30 miles on it, the next oil filter will really tell. I will change that one at the 100 mile mark.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #200
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sporting the new stickers now...

The bottom windshield is actually covered in the same stuff at the rest of the bike. The camera flash makes it seem much brighter than it is. (And yes, it is way below the line of sight. May not look that way from the pic, but it's about 8" below my eyes)

Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #201
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Guess it's time to update the signature too
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #202
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,687
Very cool write up. I'm planning to get the kit for my ride as well. Kudos to planemanx15 and Jeff!

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #203
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Guess it's time to update the signature too

Sounds like a good idea..
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #204
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
all's well that end's well!..... aluminum is alot softer than steel, so i dunno how much i'd worry about it... keep changing the oil/filters, rotella is cheap..... after it's real clean, i really like the Mobil 1 10/40 motorcycle oil.... more $$$, but that's good stuff.... now let's start an oil argument!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #205
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
This was definitely one of my favorite build threads I've read on here. I love the way you have your DR setup with the VStrom seat and the supermoto kit, and the big bore kit makes it that much better.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #206
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alright guys, had my first fill up today. I took the bike out over the weekend, One time was 2 up. I feel as if there is a more noticeable difference between 1-up and 2-up performance. When 2-up, the bike feels like the standard dr650 feels with just 1. In other words, it doesn't seem to break a sweat carrying an extra 130 lbs on the back. From way down low, the bike is just an utter beast. I wasn't expected as much power as it has down low. I had my sister on the back seat, climbing a hill in first doing about 20. I bleeped the throttle a bit, and the front wheel just went skyward, scared both of us as we did not expect it at all. Crazy torque. Even on flat ground, with the extra weight on the back, you have to try hard to keep that front wheel down. This is all with a 17 tooth front sprocket and 42 rear. I may drop to a 16 just to see what that is like. I dislike the 17 at about 60-70 mph, because there is a big difference between 4 and 5 gear. After 70, you can use 5th all the way.

All these wheelies have been screwing me up a bit though. I could not get the bike started at work at all. I looked at the trip and it was reading 165 miles. I figured maybe I'm low on fuel, turned the petcock to reserve, and it fired right up. Went to a gas station and filled up...4.45 gallons \ 165 miles = 37 mpg... not good.

Could it be that I am riding it like I stole it, yes. Could it be that I an doing hard engine braking, yes. Could it be that I an wheeling every opportunity I get, yes. Could it be that I have been letting it idle for a long time to heat up before riding, yes. Could it be the cold, yes. I'm not going to mess with the jetting just yet. I want to try riding more, and calm down a bit with the throttle. If that doesn't raise it to 45 mpg, I'll start adjusting the carb.

Had some fun with a Ducati monster today too. He saw me shoot down a straight away, and I got up to about 80 and was holding it steady there. He was right in front of me accelerating. We got to about 90 when we both started to back off... Did I mention this bike has power? Cam is next to keep that power in the higher revs, but not till next winter.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #207
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
If that doesn't raise it to 45 mpg, I'll start adjusting the carb.
I don't recall; did Jeff give any suggestions with the kit for revised jetting? I'm very curious about mpg. If you can't get it up to at least 45 mpg in normal riding, I won't be doing the kit at all. I need the mileage more than the power. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Had some fun with a Ducati monster today too. He saw me shoot down a straight away, and I got up to about 80 and was holding it steady there. He was right in front of me accelerating. We got to about 90 when we both started to back off... Did I mention this bike has power? Cam is next to keep that power in the higher revs, but not till next winter.
Don't wait til winter!! Crap, you've had the thing apart twice now. A cam job should take you maybe two hours tops. Spring isn't even here yet. A cam job on the DR should be pretty simple since there's only one of them.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #208
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
dunno if i'd worry about the mileage that much..... fat is where it's at.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #209
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I don't recall; did Jeff give any suggestions with the kit for revised jetting? I'm very curious about mpg. If you can't get it up to at least 45 mpg in normal riding, I won't be doing the kit at all. I need the mileage more than the power. :)

Don't wait til winter!! Crap, you've had the thing apart twice now. A cam job should take you maybe two hours tops. Spring isn't even here yet. A cam job on the DR should be pretty simple since there's only one of them.

Rob
Jeff said the jetting shouldn't change much at all. I should be getting around 45-50 like normally. I'll keep you posted with other tanks.

As for the cam...money bro money... Maybe in a few months or so, we'll see.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #210
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
The jetting requirement won't be significantly different. If you haven't already, you should re-adjust the idle mixture screw. You may be able to drop the needle one position because the larger displacement can pull more fuel with the same settings. When I built the first 780 I ended up with the same main and pilot but one position lower on the needle (clip moved up one).
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote