Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #256
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
So do tell how is the bike running? How smooth is the throttle response, and how much pull? Please do tell......
Bike is running great. I think I'm going to start doing some carb work soon. Maybe go a size down on the pilot jet to increase mpg. My needle is on the second notch from the top, so there isn't much more to go there. The throttle response is outstanding, just twist and go. On the highway where I would normally be shifting between 4-5 I can go keep it in fifth to accelerate and just boogie. Did a top speed run today with 17/42 gear. In the low ninties. I'm a bit upset about that, I thought for sure I could break 100. In fact at the end of the stretch of road where I had it pinned, was a slight up hill. With the throttle fully opened it couldn't hold the speed and just decelerated a few mph.

I'm going to try to go down a size on both jets and see what that does. If I remember correctly, pilot is low throttle, needle is the mid range and the main is the top end.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #257
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update, went a size down on both jets and the bike actually pulls better. I have been running too rich. Ill get back with mpg when I use up this tank.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #258
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,112
izzit poppin' when you chop the throttle?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #259
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
izzit poppin' when you chop the throttle?....
yes, but its done that since putting the Hayabusa muffler on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #260
davesupreme
grand poobah

it's not the muffler... the muffler lets more air thru, so you're gonna go lean.... if you're popping on decel, it's cause' your pilot is too small, going lean when you close the carb slide, and it's detonating.... every one of those pops is a miniscule piece of your piston going out the back.......

the pilot pretty much just starts the bike... it's what the carb is using when it's idling... too big a pilot, and it will flood real easy when it's hot.... maybe at the bottom of the rpm range it's significant, but not even that much there.... it ain't good to go too big, but that detonation ain't a good thing... sounds cool, but....

i dunno if you can get a finger adjustable pilot needle for your bike?... they work great, if you can....

all the racy guys wanna jet way down, supposedly that's where the max power is.... they also rebuild their top ends like they change their underwear...

and needle taper has alot to do w/jetting too... dunno if you can get different needle tapers/diameters for your carb....
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #261
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,355
Popping through the exhaust is not pre-ignition. It is common with a lot of carbs. IIRC, the OP is running a TM40. They all do that.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #262
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
what does the spark plug look like? Lean is Mean, but Richer is better on the motor...........
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #263
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
what does the spark plug look like? Lean is Mean, but Richer is better on the motor...........
Haven't pulled the plug yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Popping through the exhaust is not pre-ignition. It is common with a lot of carbs. IIRC, the OP is running a TM40. They all do that.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
Yea I have the TM-40. I've heard a lot of people talk about the decal pop. That's what I haven't concerned myself too much with it. It also did it with the bigger pilot jet too.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #264
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Was it worth the $

Since you have lived with the 790 for a bit now, do you find that it was well worth the money? I go back and forth on doing this to my DR. I have already plumped a bunch into the DR shock, emulators, springs, exhaust, TM40, Tank, Seat... Etc etc... Problem is I keep throwing money at it and it still doesn't equal a ktm 640A or the like in terms of suspension, power, etc. Wondering if the 790 will actually give me the punch I'm looking for. My set up DR pulls well but still can't lift the wheel like my friends XRL. Would love that for in the woods.
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #265
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Since you have lived with the 790 for a bit now, do you find that it was well worth the money? I go back and forth on doing this to my DR. I have already plumped a bunch into the DR shock, emulators, springs, exhaust, TM40, Tank, Seat... Etc etc... Problem is I keep throwing money at it and it still doesn't equal a ktm 640A or the like in terms of suspension, power, etc. Wondering if the 790 will actually give me the punch I'm looking for. My set up DR pulls well but still can't lift the wheel like my friends XRL. Would love that for in the woods.
Simple answer...Yes.

It's a days worth or labor, and about $900 and it really transforms the bike. Your not going to be winning races, but the torque is incredible.

I felt the same way as you. I kept throwing money to this bike, trying to make it a v-strom. I had a Vee, and it was too big. The dr is just right. This kit brought me closer to that kind of power and smoothness.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #266
davesupreme
grand poobah

[/QUOTE]Yea I have the TM-40. I've heard a lot of people talk about the decal pop. That's what I haven't concerned myself too much with it. It also did it with the bigger pilot jet too.[/QUOTE]

you ever think that the 'bigger' pilot was too lean, also?.... most carbed bikes come from the factory lean so as to please uncle DOT....

have you asked that 'ProCycle' guy what jetting he recommends?.... i'd go there first....

doesn't matter what causes the decel pop, it's detonation that's popping... you want the fattest pilot that will still start w/out flooding when the bike is hot....

not really getting what the MPG wars are about?... you win a prize for the most MPG?.... maybe if it was a knobber or something, i might play........ but afterwards i'd put the bike back fat...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #267
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea I have the TM-40. I've heard a lot of people talk about the decal pop. That's what I haven't concerned myself too much with it. It also did it with the bigger pilot jet too.[/QUOTE]

you ever think that the 'bigger' pilot was too lean, also?.... most carbed bikes come from the factory lean so as to please uncle DOT....

have you asked that 'ProCycle' guy what jetting he recommends?.... i'd go there first....

doesn't matter what causes the decel pop, it's detonation that's popping... you want the fattest pilot that will still start w/out flooding when the bike is hot....

not really getting what the MPG wars are about?... you win a prize for the most MPG?.... maybe if it was a knobber or something, i might play........ but afterwards i'd put the bike back fat...[/QUOTE]

Procycle said the jetting should be similar, and it was, now I'm just trying to regain some mileage prior to the big bore. I understand that the bigger engine is going to use more fuel, that's simple enough. I want to see what I could be getting. If I wanted a bike that gets 40mpg I would get another dl1000... Although the 1000 was never as much fun as the dr!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #268
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
I have had the 790 kit for over a year. With the stock carb and the Procycle dynojet kit, popping on decel is normal and actually where you want to be jetting wise. The rule is how it behaves under acceleration. If it feels mushy under load it's probably a little too rich. If it stumbles, too lean. Jeff's write up of the dynojet kit on the procycle site has a good procedure for finding the sweet spot when adjusting the mixture screw. Use his advice and start there.

The motor was engineered to run a little lean.

Glad you got it running. It's a blast, no?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #269
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
I have had the 790 kit for over a year. With the stock carb and the Procycle dynojet kit, popping on decel is normal and actually where you want to be jetting wise. The rule is how it behaves under acceleration. If it feels mushy under load it's probably a little too rich. If it stumbles, too lean. Jeff's write up of the dynojet kit on the procycle site has a good procedure for finding the sweet spot when adjusting the mixture screw. Use his advice and start there.

The motor was engineered to run a little lean.

Glad you got it running. It's a blast, no?
It really is! I'm always looking for an excuse to ride it lol. I just had a week off between my former job, and starting something new, and I spent every day on it. I also got tired of my current paint scheme and did it in black bed liner. Personally I think it looks the best is ever has
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #270
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Don't change the pilot. It's the main jet and the needle position that needs changing.

Bigger bore of ~150cc means much higher intake velocity (IV).

Higher IV means it pulls more fuel from the bowl creating a rich condition at higher rpm's.

Keep in mind that the actual combustion chamber is only slightly larger and only needs a bit more fuel.

IMO, one or two sizes smaller on the main jet and lowering the needle one notch would get you in the ballpark.

The pilot is for idle to just cracked open.

Change the above and get to a dyno to check the air fuel ratio. That's the only way to tell. Bring spare jets with you to swap if needed.

IMO, It's worth the ~$200 to get it perfect.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote