Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #271
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Simple answer...Yes.

It's a days worth or labor, and about $900 and it really transforms the bike. Your not going to be winning races, but the torque is incredible.

I felt the same way as you. I kept throwing money to this bike, trying to make it a v-strom. I had a Vee, and it was too big. The dr is just right. This kit brought me closer to that kind of power and smoothness.

Thanks for your reply! Sounds like you are pretty happy with it. When you say smoothness are you saying it is smoother than stock. How do you like it without the Cam? I don't really want to invest in the cam myself. It sounds like you have more power throughout the range, but am wondering how is it at speed 70-85? This is where I would really like to pick up some oomph so I can go back to a little higher gearing. Also, how is it off the line? I would like to throttle the bike up if need be when in the woods for obstacles and such. I'm at a disadvantage from the get go with all I have added due to the fact I live at 7,000 ft. Thanks for your time!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #272
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like you are pretty happy with it. When you say smoothness are you saying it is smoother than stock. How do you like it without the Cam? I don't really want to invest in the cam myself. It sounds like you have more power throughout the range, but am wondering how is it at speed 70-85? This is where I would really like to pick up some oomph so I can go back to a little higher gearing. Also, how is it off the line? I would like to throttle the bike up if need be when in the woods for obstacles and such. I'm at a disadvantage from the get go with all I have added due to the fact I live at 7,000 ft. Thanks for your time!
It is smoother than stock for sure. I never rode a dr with a stage 1 or 2 cam so I dont know how it compares. I will probably do one, but it's going to be a while down the road, for now it's fine. From 70-85 it pulls way better. I have it geared high (17-42). And at 80 it's pulling a comfortable 4900-5100 rpm (I don't remember the exact figure). It will cruise 78-80 all day and be fine, I did it on Thursday. It's got enough get up and go to get out of a tailgaters way, and to pass a speeding car. It's not going to win races, mine seems to give up in the low 90s but maybe the cam will give me a few more mph. It's not a race bike, don't expect it to be. Off the line with the higher gearing I can wheelie in first with just power, and it second with power and a tug back on the bars. It's got insane torque. I want to throw a 14T front on just to see what that's like, and pull a stump or two.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #273
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
This is one of the best, if not the best, threads I have read in awhile

When I got to the video of the noise and saw the pictures of the piston I could feel the disappointment. Then when I read what Jeff was doing for you, and how you still had a positive attitude, I knew you would have a good running bike in the end.

I'm really glad to hear it all worked out and you are happy with the upgrade.

Most of all thanks for taking the time to document everything that took place and not leaving us hanging when things went wrong.

Enjoy,

Jon...
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #274
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,431
I'm loving this thread!

Any updates on mpg? I know bikes get lower mileage as they're breaking in, maybe more miles will help the engine relax back to pre-surgery numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #275
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've had a few full ups between now and the previous post. Every time is 44mpg. It's perfect the way it is, I'm not going to touch it any more. Bike pulls great and is a load of fun to ride. Just typing this is getting me pissed off that I'm at work and not riding.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #276
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think it's time for another oil change too
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #277
motoman417
Hello Moto....

Oddometer: 5
Great write up! Will be contacting PC for my kit shortly! Keep up the great info!
motoman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #278
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 177
Basic gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Christalmighty...!

If you are that much of a novice, then I highly, highly recommend you stay away from the inside of any motor. The ring end-gap is one of the most basic procedures of any engine build.

What's next, disclaimers about cylinder head torque, piston ring spacing, proper cam timing, RPM during new cam break-in, etcetera...?

Wow
Just read this whole thread.....very helpful to occasional tinkerers who enjoy tackling different things. I guess if we all followed this highly recommended advice the OP wouldn't have taken this on and still be on his 650. Some people's imaginations are narrower than the ring end-gaps in their bike's cylinder.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #279
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
Some people's imaginations are narrower than the ring end-gaps in their bike's cylinder.
speaking of imagination, anyone ready to take it to the next level?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #280
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
So after all this why do i see it for sale?
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #281
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
So after all this why do i see it for sale?
Good question... I bought a BMW r1150 a few months back on a whim. I ended up really liking it and had all intentions on keeping both. Once I started to ride the BMW, it was everything I wanted the DR to be riding 2 up and it's smoother (twin vs single).

Nothing wrong with the DR, just don't have the need for 2 bikes. I'm also looking to buy a house soon and the $4000 would be nice addition to the fund.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #282
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Decided to keep the DR.. I cant see myself actually parting with the old girl, too many good times and work went into making her what she is today!

planemanx15 screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 02:13 AM
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #283
1wicked55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Decided to keep the DR.. I cant see myself actaully parting with the old girl, too many good times and work went into making her what she is today!
Glad to hear you are keeping it.
1wicked55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #284
wpbdude
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Awesome thread

Hi all. I am in the market for a DR 650 and LOVE this thread. I've owned KLRs, 650 and 250. I really think I want a DR 650 and will probably be looking into a big bore kit! Anyway, great thread and I'm really motivated to act now and go for the big bore kit as soon as i can.. :)

--wpbdude (West Palm Beach Dude..)
wpbdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #285
fink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
EDIT: Video of the build here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xE4ZwgbdQ

The minute I saw the 790cc kit on Procycle.us, I knew that needed to go on my bike. So now, some time has passed and everything I need to make that kit happen has lined up. I ordered my kit last week, and it should be arriving by this Friday (pending my mailman doesn't fall asleep on duty again, true story). I have noticed there isn't much information out there documenting the installation for those that want to do it, but are hesitant. I will be documenting my installation with pictures and videos, and finally give a review of the product after the installation.

To give you an understanding of my skill level: I have an intermediate level of understanding mechanics, and have worked with tools my whole (short-thus-far) life. I have researched for hours the DR650's engine, have read the DR650 thread, and have read the service manual cover to cover. This will be my first time taking apart a 4 stroke engine. I have installed a new piston and rings on a 50cc 2-stroke scooter, but the lack of a timing chain or valves made that job silly easy.

About my bike:

For those that don't know, I bought my 2000 DR650 in October of 2010. She has 20,000 miles and cost me $1800 (neg down from $2400 )

How she looked the day I bought her home (next to my custom dr200 "military edition"):

How she sits today (Before my Hayabusa muffler installation):

As you can see, a lot of work has gone into this bike. I bought the bike to start off doing more trips and trail riding. Since buying it, property owners and local government has closed down all the shady trails in the area, and made it impossible to go off road. I have hear of instances where DEC officers will sit on the trail, pretending to be hurt, and when you stop to help them, they zip tie your clutch and take you away.... not worth it. I bought a v-strom 1000 when the trails started to close, but most of the time, found myself back on the DR, loving its ride. 1500 miles on the V-strom later (and 1 road trip) and she was history, sold to a guy in Jersey. I used part of that fund to spruce up the DR making it more road friendly. I bought the TM-40 pumper from Procycle, redid the suspension, new supermoto rear and 19" front, built a custom windscreen, and outfitted the bike with a V-strom seat among other things. Last summer I did 1000 miles in upstate New York, about 200 or so was 2 up with my girlfriend, Chrissy. She loves the way the DR rides, and actually prefers it over the Vee. We had no problem going upstate, but once the hills started, you can tell that engine was struggling.

That was the tipping point. I knew this kit has to be ordered if I wanted to keep riding together and enjoying the trip. I thought about a V-strom 650, but I would want a 2012+ (think they are hotter) and I don't feel like financing while starting to make a life. Plus, my DR is MY DR... There are no others like it in the world.

I also ordered with the Bike bore kit:

Barnett Clutch and springs
New hotter iridium spark plugs
10 pack of oil filters
valve o-rings
fuel filter (never has one on my bike, i think its about time)
timing plug (destroyed mine)
and a valve tool.

My DR has about 29,XXX miles on it.

I am planning on installing all of the above and:

Wrapping the exhaust pipe
Sound dampen the skid plate
Clean up some of my wiring
Check on the NSU

I hope you guys and gals find my thread to be informative and helpful. I will probably start\finish the rebuild on Friday the 15th. I will keep y'all posted!
cant wait for the pics / instal info/ review
fink is offline   Reply With Quote