Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #121
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
I agree.
To say that they aren't gaped because the owner should have the option of deciding how much gap to use is lame.
There should have been a bold notice in the directions.
sorry dude, but i bet you're a democrat....

it's all gotta be somebody else's fault....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #122
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Pro cycle is a parts supplier and not a machine shop. I think they should be sure to give the customer specs and instructions and provide support if there are questions but they can't be responsible for my learning errors. Hope the cylinder is good amd bikr runs great when complete!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #123
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
sorry dude, but i bet you're a democrat....

it's all gotta be somebody else's fault....
It's not about it being someone else's fault. Sure, this is some pretty intense work inside the engine, so there should definitely be some reading up that needs to be done before attempting this kind of project, but just something that says "the piston rings need to be gapped before installing" would at least let people know that it needs to be done.
Having never done any work inside the working parts of an engine, I'd never have known that it needed to be done, same as the OP. Still, PC and the OP are working on making everything right, and I'm sure this will turn out fine in the end. It's been an educational thread to say the least.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #124
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
It's not about it being someone else's fault. Sure, this is some pretty intense work inside the engine, so there should definitely be some reading up that needs to be done before attempting this kind of project, but just something that says "the piston rings need to be gapped before installing" would at least let people know that it needs to be done.
Having never done any work inside the working parts of an engine, I'd never have known that it needed to be done, same as the OP. Still, PC and the OP are working on making everything right, and I'm sure this will turn out fine in the end. It's been an educational thread to say the least.
+1. and it CERTAINLY has NOTHING to do w/what political party you do or do not belong to.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #125
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
sorry, but this ain't really a specialized incident.... any piston rings inside of any engine need to be gapped... there's this thing that happens when metal gets heated, called expansion..... jr. high science class..... and in different applications/alloys, the gap is different.... you can't argue w/physics.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #126
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
sorry, but this ain't really a specialized incident.... any piston rings inside of any engine need to be gapped... there's this thing that happens when metal gets heated, called expansion..... jr. high science class..... and in different applications/alloys, the gap is different.... you can't argue w/physics.....
agreed 100%. but it is extremely possible - likely even - that someone inexperienced w/this type of endeavour, would not know that the rings they yust bought - w/matching cylinder and piston - would not be plug-n-play...

doug s.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #127
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
I can't believe my quart of oil doesn't say, " torque the drain plug before pouring into the engine."

Just for the DIY crowd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #128
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Ok all you he men. What is the gap for these rings? I wouldn't think you would find in your Suzuki manual. If the specs are provided, then maybe you got an argument. If not you are just argumentative.

Maybe you and a machinist might know the thermal expansion differences between a forged aluminum vs cast pistons vs steel or nikasil covered aluminum cylinders but not everyone does.

My situation was a little different. I got a forged piston and took it to a machinist to bore the cylinder. The piston came with cylinder/piston clearances along with end gap recommendations. His recommendations was pretty spot on. But one way or the other, you kind of need that.

I am not saying anyone is at fault. The OP spent $2,000 and got what sounds like a plug and play installation. The cylinder has been machined to fit the piston. I don't blame the OP for assuming the rings also fit. If procycle provided ring gaps, then that should be a heads up. I am just saying it cost Procycle a hell of lot less to point that out, then some customer spending the money and not doing it.

Everybody who has done a big bore, raise your hand.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 06:35 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #129
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Everybody who has done a big bore, raise your hand.

That's why I mentioned the ring gap on pg. 5. post #65.
VooDooDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #130
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

If I buy a sparkplug from Procycle for my DR is it also his responsibility to gap it for me or include a note that says to check the gap?

Thanks Jeff for all you've done for so many here and for your continued help for this guy. You are a class act in my book.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #131
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerinwstuff View Post

thanks jeff for all you've done for so many here and for your continued help for this guy. You are a class act in my book.
+1
planemanx15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #132
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
If I buy a sparkplug from Procycle for my DR is it also his responsibility to gap it for me or include a note that says to check the gap?
ya, i am sure yust as many folks have installed new pistons/rings/cylinders as have installed new spark plugs.

btw, i also think procycle jeff is a class act. which is why i bet he now goes out of his way to offer ring gap services and more deliberately point out the necessity of doing this in the future, for those who don't want to have it done for them.

doug s.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #133
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I can't believe my quart of oil doesn't say, " torque the drain plug before pouring into the engine."

Just for the DIY crowd
i can. but i am surprised it does not say "do not drink this."

doug s.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #134
SUNTZU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
I agree.
To say that they aren't gaped because the owner should have the option of deciding how much gap to use is lame.
There should have been a bold notice in the directions.
I'm a believer, that all bores are not created equal. The measured gap, in the rings is there to allow the ring to compress as it slides up and down, along the bore surface which could have slight irregularites.
I never expect the rings to be perfectly gaped from the manufacturer.
SUNTZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #135
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
btw, i also think procycle jeff is a class act. which is why i bet he now goes out of his way to offer ring gap services and more deliberately point out the necessity of doing this in the future, for those who don't want to have it done for them.

doug s.
You're probably right.

But checking ring gap is as day one basic as checking plug gap. (No offense intended to the OP, I've made my share of mistakes and expensive educational experiences) So the guy who directed the "lame" comment toward Jeff is way out of line.