Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
phatjoe OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
F700GS or Tiger 800XC? Looking for some Recommendations....thx

Hi Everyone,

Currently, I have a 2008 KLR650. I'm looking for something newer. I've been debating between the BMW F700GS or Triumph's Tiger 800XC.

Anyone else been in the same predicament as me and couldn't decide between these two bikes? If so, which one did you choose?

They are both great bikes, but is anyone a clear winner?

Most of my time is spent on the road. I'm hoping to do some adventure riding later in the year.

THANKS in advance
phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
The Tiger 800 (Roadie) is much closer to the F700GS than the XC. It's lower, has tubeless tires, cast wheels, a 19" front.

The XC is much closer to the F800GS. So either you compare F800GS to XC and F700GS to Roadie or you're comparing a different version from each manufacturer. Makes no sense to me.

I have the Tiger Roadie because

a) I wanted a triple engine;
b) I wanted tubeless tires;
c) I didn't want a 21" front wheel;
d) I didn't want spokes;
e) I liked that Triumph doesn't castrate the road version like BMW does.

I had a F800GS a few years ago, and I really liked that bike. It has a more "big dirt bike" feel than any of the Tigers, whether that's good or bad - you decide. The triple engine is just fantastic, smooth and powerful, the twin in the BMW is really nice, too, but it gets some bad vibrations above 5k rpm (at least the F800GS did). The Triumph engine is much smoother, but somehow I felt the BMW Twin gave a bit more laid back ride, I just rode it a bit slower, but also more relaxed - although that is an impression that just comes with riding one or the other and what it does you mentally, it's not really a description of the physical capabilities of the bikes. Hope you know what I mean.

All that aside - given the choice today I might skip the Triumph for one reason, and one reason only: the Triumph dealer I have close to me is complete shit. Worst experience ever with a shop. My BMW dealer is great. Good shop, good techs, good service, very nice and helpful guys. The Triumph guys, some of them are nice, but that doesn't help getting over the really crappy work they did on my bike on multiple occasions.

So, if you're not shop independent, check how close/good/helpful/nice your local shop is and if you like both bikes (I really wanted a triple, therefore I went with a Triumph, knowing about the issues with the shop here), I'd say, get whatever speaks to you AND you get good service for.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, if you're not shop independent, check how close/good/helpful/nice your local shop is

This is good advice no matter what brand of bike you're looking at. Around here the Triumph and BMW dealer is the same place, and generally does good work; the local Honda/Suzuki dealer has a terrible reputation, and I avoid going there because they act like they're doing you a favor by letting you walk through their doors; the local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer has some not-so-pleasant salesmen but an excellent service/parts department; and the slightly further out Ducati/Suzuki dealer is outstanding in pretty much every regard (despite being an hour away, I bought my Wee-Strom from them back in 2008 rather than from the dealer across town from me).

Obviously this varies wherever you go. Some dealerships are great, others are terrible; bike brand has nothing to do with it.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,245

Keep the KLR.

Buy the Tiger 800 roadie.

You will not be sorry.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 08:47 AM
thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I agree with Cug, Compare the 700GS to the T800 and the 800GS to the T800XC.

I also concur 100% with his assessment that the Beemer is more laid back, or at least it seems to be.

The Tiger is much better on the highway, the BMW to me felt like it was working too hard after 65mph ( buzzy and not so planted). The BMW is probably better off road due to the low fuel tank but I believe they both weight about the same.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The Tiger 800 (Roadie) is much closer to the F700GS than the XC. It's lower, has tubeless tires, cast wheels, a 19" front.

The XC is much closer to the F800GS. So either you compare F800GS to XC and F700GS to Roadie or you're comparing a different version from each manufacturer. Makes no sense to me.

I have the Tiger Roadie because

a) I wanted a triple engine;
b) I wanted tubeless tires;
c) I didn't want a 21" front wheel;
d) I didn't want spokes;
e) I liked that Triumph doesn't castrate the road version like BMW does.

I had a F800GS a few years ago, and I really liked that bike. It has a more "big dirt bike" feel than any of the Tigers, whether that's good or bad - you decide. The triple engine is just fantastic, smooth and powerful, the twin in the BMW is really nice, too, but it gets some bad vibrations above 5k rpm (at least the F800GS did). The Triumph engine is much smoother, but somehow I felt the BMW Twin gave a bit more laid back ride, I just rode it a bit slower, but also more relaxed - although that is an impression that just comes with riding one or the other and what it does you mentally, it's not really a description of the physical capabilities of the bikes. Hope you know what I mean.

All that aside - given the choice today I might skip the Triumph for one reason, and one reason only: the Triumph dealer I have close to me is complete shit. Worst experience ever with a shop. My BMW dealer is great. Good shop, good techs, good service, very nice and helpful guys. The Triumph guys, some of them are nice, but that doesn't help getting over the really crappy work they did on my bike on multiple occasions.

So, if you're not shop independent, check how close/good/helpful/nice your local shop is and if you like both bikes (I really wanted a triple, therefore I went with a Triumph, knowing about the issues with the shop here), I'd say, get whatever speaks to you AND you get good service for.
His comparison based could be price.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
chriselgui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I am in the same boat you are, the f700 or the t800. Curious, which did you end up getting?
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatjoe View Post
Hi Everyone,

Currently, I have a 2008 KLR650. I'm looking for something newer. I've been debating between the BMW F700GS or Triumph's Tiger 800XC.

Anyone else been in the same predicament as me and couldn't decide between these two bikes? If so, which one did you choose?

They are both great bikes, but is anyone a clear winner?

Most of my time is spent on the road. I'm hoping to do some adventure riding later in the year.

THANKS in advance
Test ride both, you'll be more aware what you feel comfortable on.

btw, I sold both my 07 & 09' KLR's and got a XC. I have not regretted the decision

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote