User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Arai Profile Alternative

My last two helmets have been Arai Profiles. They fit well and are comfortable. However, I don't want to spend that kind of money anymore, so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative that meets all the same safety specs. I am also intrigued by the internal retractable sun visors. The quieter the better also.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 982
I wore every model of Arai (and only wore Arai) for over 20 years. A year and a half ago, I discovered the Bell Vortex. It is the first helmet I found, in all that time, that was as comfortable to me as my Arais.

I now also have a Bell RS-1, which is equally comfortable.

The Bell Star is a different shell shape and not comfortable to me.

Also, the main reason I have not worn my Arai since I got the Vortex is the Bell Transitions shield. It gets dark in sunlight. No more carrying a spare face shield for me and no need for one of those janky internal tinted visors.

Besides having the Transitions shield, the best thing about the Bells is the price. Street on the Vortex is $180. The RS-1 is higher and, to me, not worth the extra money. Unless, as I did, you find a closeout deal on a NOS RS-1 for $199. I wanted a second helmet anyway and the extra $20 was worth it to get a "cool" graphics paint job instead of plain black.

Both of these helmets are DOT and Snell approved, I believe.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
pgh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I went from a Profile to a Signet Q. I believe it's a couple millimeters longer front to back. Fit me better actually.
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 866
Same here...

....Profile to Signet-Q.

Worth the money.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
StuartV
Motorcyclist

As far as I can tell, the Arai Signet is even more expensive than the Profile. So, how exactly do these last two posts answer the OP's question or help him in any way??

As I said before, I've had Arai Signet, RX7, Astral, Profile, Quantum, and probably some other models they've had over the years that I can't remember now. They were all super comfortable and nothing else I tried was even close - except some Shoeis, which were close in comfort (to ME), but not close enough to get me to switch, even though they were less expensive.

Now, Bell is making the Vortex and RS-1, which are JUST as comfortable (to ME) as any Arai I've had (and without having to buy thicker cheek pads, which I always had to do on my Arais). And they offer a photochromic faceshield, which Arai does not. And these helmets are half to a third the price of an Arai.

So, unless an Arai is comfortable to you and none of these Bells are comfortable, I don't see how you can say the Arai is "worth the money." They definitely used to be, to me. Now, they are definitely not worth the money. Given that I can't get a photochromic shield for an Arai, I wouldn't even buy a new Arai for the $180 I can get a Bell Vortex for.

A comfortable helmet with a quick-change tool-less faceshield that gets dark in sunlight trumps any helmet that is not comfortable or does not have such a faceshield. For me, anyway.

Of course, I suppose this is really the wrong site to be calling anybody out for spending excess money on stuff based on the name brand or "cool" factor.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Said the man....

..with a GS and two other machines in the garage.

2004 Honda RC51

Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Nolan N90 fit similar to my XD3 and it had a flip down sunscreen.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,156

So you're looking for the fit of a Profile and the price of a Arthur Fulmer, yea, I'm in.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
I've been very impressed with my current HJC . After years of being dedicated to Shoei, the prices became just too much. I'd call the HJC about 95% of the Shoei quality for about 45% of the price.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
The Icon Alliance is another choice.
Long oval shape. Arai-esque look and features like a shield that locks in the same spot as Arai, and side pod covers.
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Here ya go....

...http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...irmada-helmet/

2004 Honda RC51

Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
..with a GS and two other machines in the garage.
Exactly! The handicapped are ALLOWED to crack on other handicapped....

Oh, and that's a GS plus 3 1/2 other machines in the garage. Though, admittedly, 1 1/2 gixxers are about to be sold off...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
VascoMerlin
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
The Arai Signet Q was the replacement for the Profile. It is the same helmet as the Arai RX-Q, just longer front to back.
If you would like something similar, but cheaper:
The Bell RS-1 would be a good fit.

But, (and I tell this to all our customers) if a Signet Q (or a Profile) fits you comfortably, nothing else sold can compare. Nothing else is as long an oval with the same forehead clearance. Sorry.

www.revzilla.com
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post
But, (and I tell this to all our customers) if a Signet Q (or a Profile) fits you comfortably, nothing else sold can compare. Nothing else is as long an oval with the same forehead clearance. Sorry.
See post #2 above.

A Profile is very comfortable, to me. And a Bell RS-1 and a Bell Vortex are both equally comfortable. To me. As in, I wear any of them for 12 hours straight (or longer) and have no pressure spots or discomfort.

Just because the Bells are less expensive than an Arai does NOT mean they are any less good. Arai are ridiculously overpriced (in my opinion - which is borne out by being able to buy other helmets that meet the same safety specs and are just as comfortable, for 1/4 the price).
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
So based on Stu's advice (thanks!), I ordered the Vortex from Revzilla on Wednesday. I was shocked to find the helmet at my door on Thursday. Normally I wouldn't purchase a helmet online, but Revzilla has such an easy and liberal return policy, I figured I'd give it a go. I also read a number of other reviews online before taking the plunge.

Upon inspecting it, there was a very minor scratch on the visor near the top edge, but I can't see it with the helmet on, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure I'll do worse to it in the first few days I own it (my luck).

I wore it for 15 minutes or so last night while watching TV and it felt fine. A little snug in the cheek area, but I like snug and it will break in I'm sure.

This morning I wore it for the 30 minute commute to work. I quickly noticed a couple of things. There was what felt like hard spot in the back of my head (kind of like the foam was pushing against me in one area more than others). I also noticed that my neck was getting a bit more cold wind against it than with my Profile. By the end of the commute, the foam issue was no longer noticeable.

I was worried about the noise level as it was rated noisier than the Profile, but when I got on the freeway, I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was. It is actually quieter than my Profile at least in the lower frequencies. My Profile seems to have a lot of buffeting noise, where the Vortex has almost none. There is the higher frequency hissing of course, but no louder than the Profile. I also noticed that the helmet is much more stable when turning my head to check traffic. The Profile's visor would always crack open if I turned my head at 80+mph.

Speaking of the visor, the Vortex visor mechanism is far better than the Profile's IMO. I never liked the friction adjustment on the Profile. I also hated the removal and re-installation process. I always felt like I was going to break the release levers when removing it and then by the time I fought the visor back on to the helmet, it had fingerprints all over it. The Vortex is the easiest removal and installation I have ever used. There were some raindrops falling and I noticed that they "slid" right off the visor to the side almost instantly without leaving any trace. I don't know if it is because it was new or if they coat it with something, but I liked it. Also, no fogging to speak of, but I didn't have any long stops at lights where I would normally notice it most.

All in all, the Vortex is a tremendously better value than the Profile. You get DOT and Snell approval, comfort, quiet, and easy visor change. For $180 vs $500 for the Profile.

Now I just have to add some ugly reflective stickers so the idiots can see my dome in traffic.