ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
xscoobysnack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Chicago - off topic

Hello all,

A few of my family members and I are planning on traveling from western Canada and spending a week in your fine city in late June/early July. None of us have been there before and I was wondering if you could recommend a decent hotel, preferably near the Mag Mile. I've been going blind looking online and all the hotels are becoming a blur. I'm not cheap but definitely can't afford the Trump or 4 Seasons. Any and all suggestions are welcomed! Thanks.
xscoobysnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,397
Recommend you PM bradatlarge as he often offers information about Chicago. He will be very helpful.

In fact, just today he posted some visitor information.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,184

Yeah PM me, pssst that article was a joke.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

The Hilton on S Michigan or the Westin River North are usually good value for the money, assuming there isn't a major event at McCormick when you are planning to visit
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,516
Staying anywhere near the Mag Mile isn't going to be "cheap" (but that's a relative term anyways). You might be able to find something in your price range in one of the closest suburbs, like Rosemont (near O'Hare). Then, you could make use of the train (the "El") to get downtown. Chicago also has a great light rail system (Metra) if you wanted to stay further out. For instance, Itasca has a Holiday Inn Express that's within walking distance of the Itasca Metra station. You could stay there, walk (or drive - parking is a $1.25 or $1.50) to the Metra station and take the train into Union Station (35 - 50 minutes depending on the time of day - morning/evening trains are quicker). Round trip, into Chicago, is $9 (or, you could buy a 10-Ride ticket and share). Chicago's Loop area can easily be walked.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge View Post

Yeah PM me, pssst that article was a joke.
Theres a good bit of truth in it though....portillos is a must, hole in the wall diners are a must, deep dish after midnight while drunk out of your mind....well thedrinking can be optional... Mag mile is way over rated... Then again what do i know... Im just a poor whiteboy from the south side.....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
xscoobysnack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sure the Mag Mile is overrated for anyone who lives there. I'm in Calgary Alberta, host of the Calgary Stampede. We have thousands of tourists invade every year and those who live here are usually trying to get out!
I'm PM'ing Bradatlarge right away. Any insider information is always useful. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,506
tons of options in Chicago:

Boutique Hotels -- Alerton, Sutton, and others can be in the $150/night range. Old, but updated and very cool. Close to Mag Mile, but on quieter streets.

Chains -- Marriott / Hilton / Sheraton brands -- lots to choose from will be in the $200/ night range as they cater to the expense account crowd. The W on the lake can be had for $140 / night. Good views, smaller rooms. Urban hipster and wanna be crowd. Also look at the extended stay hotels: Hilton Homewood Suites, Marriott Residence Inn. Usually the same price as a regular hotel, always a bigger room and often include breakfast. Hilton Homewood is a block of Michigan.

The Palmer House sometimes has good rates too. It's a cab ride from the Mag mile

Parking: usually pretty expensive ~$50 per night isn't out of the question. Consider taking Amtrack or Metra into town. If you're flying, take the El from either airport. Plenty of cabs. You don't need a car in downtown.

Entertainment: Plenty of Broadway type shows, Second City, Local bars with live music, concerts on Northerly Island.

Fun: Go to Navy Pier, rent bicycles, bike the lake front -- from Obama's house on the south to Evanston on the north -- will take pretty much all day. Lots to see.

Beaches are awesome on nice days. Great little restaurant / cafe on Oak Street Beach. More rowdy crowd on North Beach.

Food: Portillo's for beef and dogs, pretty much any local place for Pizza. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder is a nice twist. Uno's is a mob scene. Most every bar has good food. Avoid the chains. House of Blues is worth a trip, Sunday Gospel Brunch is a hoot.

Tours: Architectural tour by boat is great way to see the city from a totally different perspective. Dinner cruises are a rip off, but do offer a good view of the city from the water.

Music: Buddy Guy's Legends is an old standby/tourist place, but can be good. Blues Chicago is close to mag mile and well worth the trip. Green Door and others have local acts. Check out Metromix or wxrt.com for dates/times/groups.

Rush/Division area is a scene after dark. Plenty of smaller bars or large crowds. Hugo's and Carmines are good eats, but expensive. Gibson's is my favorite when I'm with customers (expense account).
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
tons of options in Chicago:

Boutique Hotels -- Alerton, Sutton, and others can be in the $150/night range. Old, but updated and very cool. Close to Mag Mile, but on quieter streets.

Chains -- Marriott / Hilton / Sheraton brands -- lots to choose from will be in the $200/ night range as they cater to the expense account crowd. The W on the lake can be had for $140 / night. Good views, smaller rooms. Urban hipster and wanna be crowd. Also look at the extended stay hotels: Hilton Homewood Suites, Marriott Residence Inn. Usually the same price as a regular hotel, always a bigger room and often include breakfast. Hilton Homewood is a block of Michigan.

The Palmer House sometimes has good rates too. It's a cab ride from the Mag mile

Parking: usually pretty expensive ~$50 per night isn't out of the question. Consider taking Amtrack or Metra into town. If you're flying, take the El from either airport. Plenty of cabs. You don't need a car in downtown.

Entertainment: Plenty of Broadway type shows, Second City, Local bars with live music, concerts on Northerly Island.

Fun: Go to Navy Pier, rent bicycles, bike the lake front -- from Obama's house on the south to Evanston on the north -- will take pretty much all day. Lots to see.

Beaches are awesome on nice days. Great little restaurant / cafe on Oak Street Beach. More rowdy crowd on North Beach.

Food: Portillo's for beef and dogs, pretty much any local place for Pizza. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder is a nice twist. Uno's is a mob scene. Most every bar has good food. Avoid the chains. House of Blues is worth a trip, Sunday Gospel Brunch is a hoot.

Tours: Architectural tour by boat is great way to see the city from a totally different perspective. Dinner cruises are a rip off, but do offer a good view of the city from the water.

Music: Buddy Guy's Legends is an old standby/tourist place, but can be good. Blues Chicago is close to mag mile and well worth the trip. Green Door and others have local acts. Check out Metromix or wxrt.com for dates/times/groups.

Rush/Division area is a scene after dark. Plenty of smaller bars or large crowds. Hugo's and Carmines are good eats, but expensive. Gibson's is my favorite when I'm with customers (expense account).
you forgot maxwell street for polish, and house of blues...

i second chicago pizza and oven grinder, athough it is very UN chicagostlye pizza.... LOL it is however VERY good....

if you are taking kids, you definately want to hit the Field museum, as well as the Museum of Science and Industry. figure a full day for each....also, Shedd aquarium, and adler planetarium are good stops to hit to, kids or not...

also, amtrak doesnt like you taking it for short trips like from the burbs in to the city.... i dont believe they will sell you a ticket unless you are connecting to another train heading out of union...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
xscoobysnack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I bought the flight tickets tonight. We will be staying at The James as they were willing to deal a little bit with the number of rooms and the length of stay. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Too bad it's so far away still. Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by xscoobysnack View Post
Well, I bought the flight tickets tonight. We will be staying at The James as they were willing to deal a little bit with the number of rooms and the length of stay. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Too bad it's so far away still. Thanks guys!
Summer in Chicago is a great time. Lots of neighborhood fests and free music in the parks down town. You have to work really hard to not have a good time in Chicago. Do a little research a week or two before you get here. Millenium park has free concerts on some weekdays.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

The James is good. Nicely done.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,411
Hold it..

People go to Chicago on purpose??

I'm flying out of ORD on Monday and back on Thursday and the only part of it I'm looking forward to is passing through the last toll booth Thursday evening..

Although I did have a nice day at the Art Museum while getting my passport fixed.. Even though they had my old one, they were shocked my name isn't Daneil..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,177
A whole week? In Chicago? Sounds like a trip my wife would like....Myself? A week in Calgary sounds good. The ride there and back would be the bonus.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Hold it..

People go to Chicago on purpose??
Oh hush, you.