ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
guavadude OP
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
http://my-maps.appspot.com/

this will give you access to your My Maps list but it doesn't seem to be working with the route....it's just giving me the beginning and end points. Although it does give the turn by turn directions as a list which might be useful.

What I really want is Google maps with their huge database, the My Maps routes I create on my computer, a freaking terrain view, sat view, bird's eye view etc, in a 5" touch screen that is bomb proof, water proof and works with gloves. If somebody comes up with this, please lmk.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
guavadude OP
de-composer

There's also the My Places for Google Maps app for iphone or ipad which actually works. You get your My Maps list and the route actually shows up.
Might be worth a try since it's free.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
When I upgraded to iOS 6 and lost Google Maps I was really REALLY unhappy. The Apple offering was a POS and even that's putting it nicely. I was thrilled when Google finally released their iPhone mapping app.

Unfortunately there's no way (at least that I've been able to find) of viewing your saved maps with it.

I also have MotionX GPS but have almost used it not at all. I'm real happy with my Garmin GPS units (got close to a dozen now, but most have been retired). The only problem is (taking the 660 for example) it's really hard to get a bird's eye view of where you are along a route and what's around it. Which is why it's nice to be able to use Google Maps as well, since it allows you to see the whole area plus where you are.

The EggsMapsHD app is quite good, since it's really an iPad-specific interface to Google Maps, allowing much better use of GM than GM itself on an iPad.

Nothing's perfect though. Unfortunately.

The best I've found so far is to keep a paper map (remember those?) on my tank bag for the overview and to use my Zumo 660 for navigation.

I can't use my iPhone/iPad once I cross the border into the States as we're hit with crazy expensive roaming and usage fees. When I travel into the States, I always turn off data roaming and rely on WiFi hotspots if I need to connect to the web for anything.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
There used to be an app called My Maps that worked but it's no longer available. You can use MotionX GPS and import your google map after you email the link to yourself.
I thought the new Google maps app that you download in the app store was letting me see My Maps but it looks like the new version might have taken that away. I know it's not as easy as it should be.

I don't have an ipad but will probably grab a mini when the retina displays come out. I have an iphone 4 and I'm on OS 5.1, the pre Apple Maps version.
I'm staying here because I use the OS Google Maps all the time as an overview and was having a hard time with the Apple Maps since as you zoom out a little the road names disappear much quicker than with Google's version.

Honestly, the main reason I got the Montana was because the iphone doesn't really work as a true gps. If I could just get a terrain view on the Montana I'd be happy. Now I go back and forth between my phone and Montana to get different perspectives on the terrain in the area which is a pain.
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

You say "...the route actually shows up." Nothing about that is mentioned in the description of the app on the App Store. It only talks about having your saved PLACES show up. Nor does it show anything like a route on any of the screen images presented in the App Store.

It does say an in-app purchase is required in order to "see your data in the Maps app".

Cheap enough, but the description doesn't make it sound like it would do what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
There's also the My Places for Google Maps app for iphone or ipad which actually works. You get your My Maps list and the route actually shows up.
Might be worth a try since it's free.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
guavadude OP
de-composer

Looks like we approach it the same but paper maps don't really give the resolution needed to find the small roads. That's why I try to do as much research and planning of routes on my computer at home using Google.
The various views and zooming are hard to beat and damn near impossible for me to do on the road with just an iphone. I'll get a mini soon and that should help.

Seems like you can download maps from Google for offline use but that's only on an Android. I also use Navigon which does let you download maps and has a great feature of giving you three route options which I sometimes use for ideas.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
guavadude OP
de-composer

the My Places apps shows a red route line from the route created in GM but it's not downloadable so it won't work offline which doesn't help.
Spend some more time with Motion X. I think it will do everything you want.
It has almost too many features but if you play with it you'll figure it out.
Lots of great map options with different views, tracking and importing of routes as well as offline maps, and you can't beat the price.

It will eat your battery though so keep that in mind.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

guavadude, I found out some stuff last night that I hadn't known before...

The Google Maps (the latest version, for iOS 6x) app on the iPhone doesn't allow you to view saved maps, at least not as far as I have been able to determine. Even though it allows you to log into your Google account. However, if instead of using the "app", you use Safari to navigate to maps.google.com, and log in there, you CAN view your saved maps and routes. Pretty cool.

The problem I'm having with it though is that I keep getting a message that Google Maps does not have permission to use my location, and there's a "help" link to click on. When I do that, I get a page in French. (Don't know why, except that I live in Quebec.) It doesn't help either. And all my location services are ENABLED which is kinda strange. Can't figure that one out. SIGH
Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
guavadude OP
de-composer

I have used the web version of Google maps but am consistently getting server errors and since you can't download maps I don't trust it very much. Seems like most places I end up don't have cell service or wifi.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks guavadude for sharing all this, great.

Some of the guys I go riding with uses iPhones but it is a big problem actually seeing anything on the screen with the glare etc.

So, I am leaning towards a proper bike GPS but not sure if I should go with the Montana or Zumo.

Any advice on this?

Have read that the Montana can only handle 100 points compared to Zumo's 1000. Is that an issue for you when you plan the ride in Google and then convert to a route in Basecamp?

Cheers
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
guavadude OP
de-composer

You're welcome! I started this thread so that I could remember how to do it. Now that I have the procedure down it's really fast. I enjoy mapping out great rides and Google maps are amazing. I only use Basecamp now to transfer routes and tracks to the Montana and to store the tracks I created on rides.

I've never used the Zumos. The Montana is my first gps. For a long time I couldn't bring myself to spend $500 on a device that seems so dumb compared to a smart phone. I tried to use the iphone with Navigon and Motion X but finally decided to pull the trigger and I'm glad I did.

I haven't had any issues hitting the limit on the Montana but I'd ask over on the Montana thread or call Garmin. I picked the 650 based on the articles Drtbyke Dan wrote at Globeriders.com and from other power users in the mega Montana thread. The AMPS mount is badass and the whole experience has been great especially when starting with Google maps.

I'd like to get some sort of tablet for the road so I can create routes when traveling but so far I've been able to get it done with my iphone and the Montana. From what I know even if you hit the limit you can just split up the route into two halves or whatever. There are plenty of workarounds so I wouldn't let that hold you back!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
IL adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
basecamp

I'm new to this but was walking through the instructions on the fist post, very helpful! One question, I could do everything but when I transferred my gpx route into basecamp the smaller roads don't show up on the base camp map I have loaded. Actually I don't see the smaller roads at all on the base camp I have loaded on my PC. I'm sure its a simple answer but I'm not very savvy at this stuff yet... help?
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
guavadude OP
de-composer

You didn't mention what map you are using but you need CNNA 2013 on DVD to see the smaller roads. You could also get the free OSM map.

If you already have that then look for the detail slider and turn that up
Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
IL adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Maps?

How do I get those maps loaded onto my current basecamp. Do I have to get a DVD? One thing I didn't do yet was hook up my GPS to the computer with basecamp running. Will BC just pull the maps off my GPS? I have a BMW Nav IV.

Thanks
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
guavadude OP
de-composer

Google is your friend.
This might help on the mapping questions.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790308

You need the DVD to be able to use the maps in Basecamp when the unit isn't plugged in.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #30
guavadude OP
de-composer

Go ahead and plug your gps in and launch Basecamp to see what you get.
If you use google to plan routes then you might already have all you need since I do believe BC will see the maps on your unit.