ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #46
984gasm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Once you convert the kml to a .gpx, just send him that and let him use BC at his end to create the route since routes can change depending on the gps model and maps used.
Thanks everyone, I'm going to download the mac software now, and try this out for him. He's not computer literate, so I'm just taking care of it all for him.

Seems straight forward enough, although one question off the top of my head is once I get my google mapped route into BC, what you're saying is just go in and double check that all of my routes from google match up exactly and BC hasn't adjusted anything?
984gasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #47
guavadude OP
de-composer

Oddometer: 670
The best thing would probably be for him to follow the track since it won't change. If he can load the track and route at the same time, then he can see where they aren't together.
Unless you have the same exact model gps and map set, the route might not be exactly the same, but it will probably be pretty close. Tracks don't change.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #48
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
First, thank you for the great instructions. I've got the newest Basecamp (but not the beta which I tried and found way to easy to lock up) and it did accept the track nicely.

However when I double click, go to properties, then click convert to route, it opens an "Empty route" window, starts the spinning ball of "I'm busy, go away", or "I'm totally confused and chasing my tail" ball and so far has not gone further I think the program is definitely getting toasted on fermented one's and zero's.

I've also noted in this state, the only way to close Basecamp is to shut down my iMac! Until now Microsoft Word for the Mac has been the sole program I have that can lock the mac. Gotta hand it to Microsoft. Wonder if their programmers migrated to Garmin

What the who, I'll just send the track
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #49
984gasm
Adventurer

So... I was able to move my route from google to BC, and it showed up fine, and I clicked on the lines and "created a route from track". The next question is does this not spit out driving directions? When I brought it in to the gps, it showed the route, but did not have step by step directions at all, nor did it take him to any of my points (I had 4 "destinations" set up for a nice ride).

This is the route I had planned:
http://goo.gl/maps/eRJCI

Sorry for my confusion, I'm watching some videos tonight to see if I can learn this in a day so he has a gps that brings him on the routes I set up in google.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #50
guavadude OP
de-composer

I'm seeing your route in google maps.
First thing I'd do is print that out for him. Second I would right down on paper the turns like a punch list so it's easy to see when riding. I did this for years without a gps and never had any trouble:

R-Stoll Road
L-Band Camp Road

etc....

You have to use the same maps in BC that you have on the Zumo. You're not telling us what maps you have.
If he's just going to follow the track, then he won't get a popup like a route that tells you how close you are to the turn. You just have to follow the route and see that a turn is coming up. It's not that hard either way but it's not quite the spoon feeding that routes are.

The problem is that each gps wants to create a route a little different so you either have to create the route on the gps itself by dropping more waypoints or you have make sure you have the exact same maps installed and even then it might change depending on the gps.

There's tons more info on creating routes and tracks either in the Layin Down Tracks area or on the web.
This thread was really just trying to show how to get from google maps to your gps but what you're trying to do is go from one computer to another and it sounds like you don't have the same maps or the gps to test it out.

Give him paper directions, give him the track, give him a push.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #51
guavadude OP
de-composer

@984
I went back and reread, so if you're trying to get him from Oregon to CO with a ton of different roads and turns, break it out into smaller tracks, like one for each day.
I'd still do a paper backup which is always a good idea.
Can he see your google maps? Maybe just have him copy these down onto a paper map.
I still think you should be able to get him going with just tracks....and a prayer!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #52
984gasm
Adventurer

LOL (literally)! Yes, I never use a gps on my trips, I have great Butler maps that I gave him for Idaho/WY, CO, and I already printed out the trips and broke it out state by state, so I'm with you there. I said the same exact thing today, "just man up and have fun, stop worrying about the gps, and you have maps if get lost". I think he's just more disappointed that his $600+ fancy GPS isn't working the way he thought it would at the moment, and he's worried that he'll miss out on some roads/trips I planned.

I am reading many ADV forums currently trying to get more knowledge about routes/tracks/etc as you mentioned, and I know this new 660 is supposed to be able to read directly from google maps (there's a "send to gps" link), so I'm still fussing with that too. Wish me luck, and I appreciate your help very much though thus far!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #53
guavadude OP
de-composer

He'll be fine. That's just part of the adventure!
Google maps only send waypoints not routes which is pretty much worthless.
There are several other map sites that I mention so there are more than one way. I just prefer google maps but lately they've lost road labels so now they suck too.

Good luck! Next time just go with him to lead the way!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #54
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Hi. Thanks so much for this thread. It's extremely helpful.

I'ved mapped out a 11,000mi ride, using Google Maps, namely because it's light years more intuitive then Base Camp.

Here's what I have:
1. Garmin 660 - latest maps and software update
2. MacOS
3. BaseCamp - latest version and software update

Here's what I've done:
1. Mapped the ride in seven "legs" each containing a segment of the trip
2. Saved these files to My Places
3. Exported as KML files
4. Converted to GPX files
5. Imported GPX files to Base Camp

At this point, I now have all the flags (which generally represent a day/or stopping point) and the footprints (driving directions)

As I understand, this is a TRACK.

I would like TURN by TURN navigation, audio and visual cues that I need to "Go North on US 1, for 55 miles"

If I understand this correctly, I essentially highlight my "flags" in the left column of Base Camp and then edit > convert to route

Does that then give me Turn by Turn?

I'm also seeing (from reading) that once turned to a route, it doesn't always stick to an actual road (e.g. my last attempt had me driving across a lake).

This was so much easier with written out/printed directions. Kinda bummed at the stupid amount of money (and time) I've put into this turd.

Thanks again for all your help!
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #55
guavadude OP
de-composer

No worries. You're almost done.
I did about 10 complicated tracks today so it's fresh in my mind.
Once I've imported the track into BC, I first rename it to remove the extra crap BC adds to the name. Then just select the track in the lower left of BC, you'll see it highlighted, then "create route from track command" is under the edit window. You might have to tweak the name of the route too.

Sometimes the activity choice makes the route behave differently. When in doubt use the "Direct" activity and this route should be the same as the track.

You can also create a "list" in BC and put all of these tracks, routes and waypoints into that list by dragging them from the lower area up onto the upper left area where the list is. Just drag and drop. Now everything for your trip is in one place an you can just drag this list into the gps when it's mounted in BC and you're good to go!

I only use BC to create the route from th track I make in google maps and to organize and transfer files to my gps.

Have a great ride!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #56
guavadude OP
de-composer

I re-read your post. Yes tracks have the footprint icon and routes have the icon for whatever activity you have selected when creating the route....motorcycle, auto, hiking, direct etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #57
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Thanks!

So I renamed all my tracks. Essentially for the corresponding date that I would need to access that route on my 660.

After naming them all. I selected my first track (July 3) and created a (activity = direct) route.

My concern is that, you can see that the route (pink) doesn't stick to the actual roadway (orange).

Regardless, I guess that's not a huge issue. But I do want to be sure that this will give me turn by turn prompts.

I'm used to being able to sort out digital and technolgical problems. But this GPS makes me feel like a Luddite.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #58
guavadude OP
de-composer

I think you'll be fine. Load both the track and route. Don't worry if it's a little off from the line. It'll be much more obvious when the route diverges from the track.

Either way works. Routes give you prompts but it's just as easy to look at a track and see you have a turn coming up. Just make sure you have enough tracks to give you options, load up and ride!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #59
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
I don't think you are going to get turn-by-turn instructions, at least not in the manner in which I think you mean, e.g.: "In 0.2 miles, right turn on Potter Ferry Road." and "Continue 37 miles on Potter Ferry Road."
However, *I do not know for sure* and would certainly like to find out.
I tried the experiment around my neighborhood last summer using my Z660 and it was a disaster. I got a prompt at every point. But I may have been following the TRACK and not a route that I had created from the track.
So .... Maybe I'll have to try it again.
And it would be nice to hear from you and any others as to what exactly they get from the GPS in that case.
-ceej

PS
I, too, like the convenience of Google Maps. But if you can do it there, BC is not much more difficult: pick a start, pick an end, let BC lay out the route, pick a point on the route and move it to the road you want, repeat till done. What Google makes easier are: tracing the route you want directly on the map so there are fewer corrections later, zooming in/out to see/hide road detail, picking a point on the route w/o having to 'change tools'. So, yes, I like Google better. BUT once you have the route you want in Google, it may not be too hard to re-create it directly in BC and avoid all of the kml-to-gpx and track-to-route transformations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
Hi. Thanks so much for this thread. It's extremely helpful.

I'ved mapped out a 11,000mi ride, using Google Maps, namely because it's light years more intuitive then Base Camp.

Here's what I have:
1. Garmin 660 - latest maps and software update
2. MacOS
3. BaseCamp - latest version and software update

Here's what I've done:
[snip]

I would like TURN by TURN navigation, audio and visual cues that I need to "Go North on US 1, for 55 miles"

If I understand this correctly, I essentially highlight my "flags" in the left column of Base Camp and then edit > convert to route

Does that then give me Turn by Turn?

I'm also seeing (from reading) that once turned to a route, it doesn't always stick to an actual road (e.g. my last attempt had me driving across a lake).

This was so much easier with written out/printed directions. Kinda bummed at the stupid amount of money (and time) I've put into this turd.

Thanks again for all your help!
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:48 AM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #60
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
FLASH! Import kml worked for me

In my last post I had included this post script:
BC is *supposed* to be able to import kml files. Look at the file choice drop down in the Import dialog. It actually works if the contents are waypoints. But it is broken if it contains a 'google route' (discussed in a Garmin forum). If/when garmin fixes that, this might be easier, but still not clear you will get the route turn-by-turn instructions.

After posting I decided to try again. I went to Google and created this test kml map. I downloaded the .kml file, created an empty list in BC, did an import of the kml file into the list and IT WORKED. I am using BC 4.1.2 Then I converted it into a route. Next thing would be to load it on the GPS and see what it looks like. Note that I had nothing but the route; no waypoints or other 'stuff' in the kml file.
I suggest other folks try the same thing and report back.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 08:30 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote