Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
matt_rehm_hext OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
XT350n 1985 Rear Brake

Hi

Had new shoes fitted recently by my mechanic, but he said the hub is seriously worn.

With new shoes in, the brake hardly creates any friction and this is with the adjuster done up fully.

I'm planning on buying a new hub and having the wheel re-built.

Is this the only real option?
matt_rehm_hext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_rehm_hext View Post
Hi

Had new shoes fitted recently by my mechanic, but he said the hub is seriously worn.

With new shoes in, the brake hardly creates any friction and this is with the adjuster done up fully.

I'm planning on buying a new hub and having the wheel re-built.

Is this the only real option?
yea you need a new drum too. on my tw200 my drum was almost worn through with a big valley where the pads wore and i i had hardly any brakes at all then i put a new or almost new drum off ebay with new pads and it feels good again.my brakes would heat up really fast and i wouldnt have any brake after that till they cooled off with the worn drum.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,309
Can you move the brake arm a spline or two on the shaft?
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,971
You could make the backside of the lever (the lever between the shoes), a bit bigger, so it would increase the contact. It will take some careful welding and measurement.

I'm not sure I can really recommend it, but it would probably work. You would have to "undue" it if you replace the hub/drum.

I would also check around for a take off wheel on ebay, it will likely be far cheaper than a rebuild.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
matt_rehm_hext OP
n00b

Kubiak - The brake hub is part of the drum?!

matey peeps - I could, but seeing as the hub is so worn, I might as well sort the problem out as I need to use the bike a lot in the coming months.

mjydrafter - I don't have the ability or means to do that, and I think it might be better to just rebuild the rear wheel. In terms of ebay, there's one 17" rear for sale, but I want an original 18". There are no 2nd hand hubs for sale at the moment in the UK, but there is this one in USA:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-Yamah...item2c6b94dc8f

So I think then that I am going to have to get the rear wheel re-built with a new hub. Most expensive option but I guess at least it will fix the issue.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

aw shoots thats a lot more work with it being part of the wheel. hope you find a good solution soon!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
matt_rehm_hext OP
n00b

Well, a new hub from my local Yamaha dealer is 176.80, and I've been quoted 115 by Hagon over in Essex to re build the wheel with new stainless spokes using the existing rim, if they deem it to be in good enough condition.

My worry with buying that 2nd hand hub that's on ebay is that I have no idea if the drum is going to be suitable in terms of wear!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_rehm_hext View Post
Well, a new hub from my local Yamaha dealer is 176.80, and I've been quoted 115 by Hagon over in Essex to re build the wheel with new stainless spokes using the existing rim, if they deem it to be in good enough condition.

My worry with buying that 2nd hand hub that's on ebay is that I have no idea if the drum is going to be suitable in terms of wear!
i would buy a new one if you are going to rebuild the wheel. i got lucky on ebay with my bolt on hub, i paid 20 bucks and it doesnt have hardly any wear!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
matt_rehm_hext OP
n00b

I am going to have to do that. Last thing I want is to waste my money on a 2nd hand hub that is going to be worn like the current one!

I was expecting it to be a lot more, but 176.80 for a brand new hub isn't too bad.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Greek Oddity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just an Idea.

Hi,

Before you replace the hub, check to make sure the cam that spins and presses against the shoes is not the part that is worn. It is possible that the cam attached to the lever is worn smaller and is not moving the shoes out far enough. Also I would measure the inside diameter of you hub and see if is within specs. If its too far gone I would replace it. Just like car drums the thinner they get the more likely the hub is likely to break apart from the brake shoes pushing on the hub. Also if the hub is too far gone I would buy a used one on ebay I think the older xt600 hubs are the same.

Good luck.

Chris
Greek Oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Disc Brake?

How about a rear disc brake? E-bay has a few for sale. Like off a yz 250? No more crap rear brake. Just a idea. Not sure how this will work in the uk???
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
matt_rehm_hext OP
n00b

Greek Oddity - Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look when I remove the rear wheel to see if it is the cam. But my mechanic who fitted new shoes for me when I had the bike in for some work did specifically say that the hub was seriously worn.
Unfortunately, on ebay there is only one second hand xt350 rear hub and that is in america.

BIG ED XT FAN - I don't know how i'd go about doing that, it would be out of my capability in terms of the work needed fitting everything.