Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #61
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
OK so talking about *this* product, has anyone noticed a performance gain?
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #62
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Here is why I will never buy another K&N product:

This is what I saw on my K&N KT-9907 filter. When I received it and opened up the box I help it up to the light and, whoa! Those are holes!

So I did a bit of recon to see if it is an isolated issue. I went and grabbed my two K&N filters for my F800GS that I still have. They both have the same issue! Holes in the filter media.

I called K&N. The swapped the KT-9907 filter for a new one for me. When I received the replacement it exhibited the same thing.

In conclusion, 4 K&N filters. ALL 4 have the holes you see in the pictures I took above.

It all makes sense. Of course K&N filters flow more air. There are holes in the filter media!

I highly suggest sticking with the stock paper filter or getting the Uni oiled foam filter.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Cheers.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #63
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Boulder, I'm looking for the NU1427 panel filter and on the website it doesn't look like you ship to the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
www.unifilter.com.au
They have three filters for 990
Pro comp twin filter NU1426
Panel foam filter NU1427
Pre filter Nu1415
Hope this helps.
If you do search for unifilter on this site there is more info there.

Hipster screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 10:50 AM
Hipster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
The Griz
North Forest Rider

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/e...dventure_.html

Enter quantity 1 then click "buy now".

Click "checkout" in the pop up that comes up.

On the next page in the "shipping destination" selector you have to scroll all the way down the the U's in the list. United States is in there. They do ship to the USA.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #65
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,233
Take a look at the Rottweiler filter by CPR. You loose the bulky airbox, can add snap out kit that allows getting to the filter in seconds. The filter allows a pre cover for added protection. And it's added flow will give back more horsepower. This is the wave of the filter future for the big KTM's. Why bother with anything else?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #66
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Take a look at the Rottweiler filter by CPR. You loose the bulky airbox, can add snap out kit that allows getting to the filter in seconds. The filter allows a pre cover for added protection. And it's added flow will give back more horsepower. This is the wave of the filter future for the big KTM's. Why bother with anything else?
This is the thread for the K&N Filter. This thread and the Uni filter thread are a place for those us to discuss filter options who want a drop in option that is easily cleaned and re-used. So to explain why we aren't interested in the CPR:

Though the manufacturer and others who have done the CPR install will say otherwise for obvious reasons (Because they built a business around it or have spent hundreds of dollars on it), one still cannot deny that the amount of work that needs to be done to the bike in order to use the CPR filter is quite a lot. It will take the average joe the better part of an entire day, if not into a second day..... Most likely a couple of full days of wrenching.

Again, I know that someone who does these things frequently won't have much of a problem and they have gotten fast at it, example being the guy AT CPR or guys who enjoy repeatedly ripping deep into the bike. However, for the average person one has to:

-Remove side paneling and both fuel tanks (not too bad, just time)
-Remove the glove box (not bad, just time)
-Remove the airbox housing (quite a pain in the ass and takes a long time for the average person)
-Remove the secondary air injection system (serious pain in the ass, especially for the average person)
-Install the secondary air injection system block off plates (getting at the front plate requires removal of the radiator and other bits making it a huge pain in the ass and time consuming)
-Remove the charcoal canister junk (not too bad, just time)

Once all that shit is done then of course the install of the actual CPR filter is pretty fast, sure.

However, from there you still need to:

-Buy Tune ECU cable for $60
-Have a PC laptop to run the Tune ECU app
-Download and install Tune ECU app
-Find and upload the proper fuel map to the ECU. However, the problem is that each bike is different and the smart thing is to do actually have the bike run on a dyno and professionally mapped, which costs on average $200. And that's being conservative!

So, let's add this up:

CPR filter: $300
SAS block off plates: $30
Tune ECU cable: $60
Professional dyno and tune: $200

That makes the CPR turn into a $590 air filter! Not for a lot of us. For us the 113 HP the bike puts out is more than enough, and all we want is a cleanable, reusable air filter. The K&N or the Uni are just that.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #67
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Of course it's actually much easily achievable with the help of a few friends.

Organize a filter swap party at your house. Have a few KTM Adventure owner friends over to the house and have them help pull a few panels off the bikes between beers.

Do the SAS stuff over a few days... Friday night removal, Saturday morning replacements ( after a big hotcake breakfast). Remember, you only have to do this once.

Invite an imate over who has the cable and Tune ECU ( everybody pitch in beer money for his help). You can download the maps or have inmates email theirs.

Call a CPR distributor and negotiate a group buy rate to save more coin.

Use a small percentage of your tax return for the cost. You're worth it.

Remember, a CPR filter is easy to clean and re-usable, and can be expanded to add pre filter elements in varying densities.

You'll end up:

1. Making some cool friends...

2. Learning more and feeling more comfortable about your bike.

3. Having performance gains.

4. Having lost the weight of the bulky airbox.

5. Enjoying a few nice beers on an otherwise rainy weekend.

6. There's nothing wrong with thinking outside of the (air) box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
This is the thread for the K&N Filter. This thread and the Uni filter thread are a place for those us to discuss filter options who want a drop in option that is easily cleaned and re-used. So to explain why we aren't interested in the CPR:

Though the manufacturer and others who have done the CPR install will say otherwise for obvious reasons (Because they built a business around it or have spent hundreds of dollars on it), one still cannot deny that the amount of work that needs to be done to the bike in order to use the CPR filter is quite a lot. It will take the average joe the better part of an entire day, if not into a second day..... Most likely a couple of full days of wrenching.

Again, I know that someone who does these things frequently won't have much of a problem and they have gotten fast at it, example being the guy AT CPR or guys who enjoy repeatedly ripping deep into the bike. However, for the average person one has to:

-Remove side paneling and both fuel tanks (not too bad, just time)
-Remove the glove box (not bad, just time)
-Remove the airbox housing (quite a pain in the ass and takes a long time for the average person)
-Remove the secondary air injection system (serious pain in the ass, especially for the average person)
-Install the secondary air injection system block off plates (getting at the front plate requires removal of the radiator and other bits making it a huge pain in the ass and time consuming)
-Remove the charcoal canister junk (not too bad, just time)

Once all that shit is done then of course the install of the actual CPR filter is pretty fast, sure.

However, from there you still need to:

-Buy Tune ECU cable for $60
-Have a PC laptop to run the Tune ECU app
-Download and install Tune ECU app
-Find and upload the proper fuel map to the ECU. However, the problem is that each bike is different and the smart thing is to do actually have the bike run on a dyno and professionally mapped, which costs on average $200. And that's being conservative!

So, let's add this up:

CPR filter: $300
SAS block off plates: $30
Tune ECU cable: $60
Professional dyno and tune: $200

That makes the CPR turn into a $590 air filter! Not for a lot of us. For us the 113 HP the bike puts out is more than enough, and all we want is a cleanable, reusable air filter. The K&N or the Uni are just that.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 02:19 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #68
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Of course it's actually much easily achievable with the help of a few friends.

Organize a filter swap party at your house. Have a few friends over to the house and have them help pull a few panels off the bikes between beers.
Reminds me of an engine-rebuild party a friend of mine once had for his '57 Ford. We put that engine together, and installed it in just one night.

The car never did run right, but we had a good time.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #69
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,574
I'm not sure the weight of the "bulky air box" will affect my bikes handling that much!!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #70
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
I rode with a guy on the Colorado BDR who had an ITG filter on his bike. {Link to the thread discussing the filter}:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870579

I just installed the ITG on my 950. $178 shipped. It just took an afternoon to install. I'm very pleased with the results. The one part of bike maintenance that I absolutely hated on my 950 was that dang air box. I'm so glad to have tossed it in the corner of the garage.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

It's exponential...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
I'm not sure the weight of the "bulky air box" will affect my bikes handling that much!!
Between removal of the airbox and doing an EarthX lithium battery conversion you've just shaved 7.5 lbs.

Combine that with a two into one with a titanium pipe at -24 lbs. and you've shaved 31.5 lbs.

With just these mods you've dropped a bike listed as 500 lbs to 468.5 lbs.

A stock 3.5 lb airbox is certainly worth consideration in the weight reduction journey of a 950/990... If you're into that sort of thing?

Otherwise I continue to digress.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #72
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I'm being swayed over to trying the CPR system......

Two things that bother me greatly about the stock airbox setup with this bike:

1) It takes forever to get into the damn airbox! 12 screws!!!

2) The holes on the bottom part of the airbox where the top of the airbox threads into strip out easily. This is making me concerned about a proper seal being created for the airbox.

Did I mention I HATE how long it takes to get to the air filter?!! If I do this I'm going to get the "Snap Out" thing for the glove compartment too. That'll make it so I can get to the filter in 30 seconds.

I have to give credit to Uni Australia though. They make a damn good oiled foam filter for the 990.

The Griz screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 12:40 PM Reason: 12 screws not 13
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #73
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,182
Maybe I should investigate some more . I have K&N in everything with no issue BUT my dirt bikes......
Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #74
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167

The guys who competitively raced our bikes in the Dakar didn't go for the open foam filters. If all these suggestions here are "better", then explain the above? Not every stage is a dust-bowl either, and the filter only has to make it a day.

Anyone know what the pros are using inside that box?
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #75
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,574
That is one big filter sock over ??? type of filter.
It would also be interesting to see what (if any) filter was in the box which would mean that large filter was a prefilter