Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #166
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I agree with going alone for part of the trip also.......300plus riders made it to the D@D last summer, you will meet plenty riding up there I have no doubt.
I'm not a lone rider either but for a few days or so I can handle it to get to where I need to get, whether that is to meet up with someone or get to the event in general.
Not judging at all, just seems a huge waste not going if you are worried about making the entire ride alone. I can't see that happening myself, but I have been known to be wrong before.
As for scenery, you will not beat the ride up the Cassier highway. That also leads you to Telegraph Creek and Hyder and the Salmon Galcier in the opposite order.
I'm not a boat person and don't like not riding to my destination personally, plus I'm a cheap skate! I have heard it is a fantastic sail up the interior seaway or whatever it's called. Something I will never see I'm afraid. lol.

Please rethink your decission about going part way alone, the end result or destination is way worth it!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #167
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I agree with going alone for part of the trip also.......300plus riders made it to the D@D last summer, you will meet plenty riding up there I have no doubt.
I'm not a lone rider either but for a few days or so I can handle it to get to where I need to get, whether that is to meet up with someone or get to the event in general.

Please rethink your decission about going part way alone, the end result or destination is way worth it!
I just rode 600 miles yesterday through the Nevada desert in shifting side/head winds of 20+mph with 4 gusts that were so strong they pushed me right into the shoulder or left (fast) lane.
I would have enjoyed that ride if someone had shared that with me.
Doing it alone just added to the misery.
So I repeat....I just don't enjoy doing long stretches alone. I'm a social person by nature and like a good chat around the breakfast table or fire at night.
I like it when someone is hanging out with the bikes while I tinkle at a gas station so I don't have to take everything valuable off the bike or lock it up.
I like it when someone sees the humor or beauty in something I might have otherwise missed.
I like the feeling of being a team, of helping each other out in little ways, like packing up in the morning if someone is dragging tail pipes.
Changing a tire on the side of a road is much easier with 2 sets of hands....

must I go on? I have plenty of reasons why no matter how beautiful, riding all that way, mostly alone is just not fun for me.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #168
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplains drifter View Post
Nancy,
Good idea from fast idle on the Alaska marine ferry. That is how I did it on my first trip to Alaska. Ferry is always loaded with people off on some adventure so interesting folks to talk to. There are bound to be other motorcyclists on the ferry and see how there is only one road out of Haines you can probably find someone to ride with.
Yes, I've considered this. It's a good possibility but the feeling that I'm going to have in the pit of my stomach that I have yet more days solo if that doesn't work out is like remembering the aftermath of that bottle of tequila I drank in rocky point mexico when I was 19 and stupid.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #169
highplains drifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Yes, I've considered this. It's a good possibility but the feeling that I'm going to have in the pit of my stomach that I have yet more days solo if that doesn't work out is like remembering the aftermath of that bottle of tequila I drank in rocky point mexico when I was 19 and stupid.
Ha!! I bet you learned from that tequila experience. I hope it was good tequila. I also hope those winds are gone when I am hammering across Nevada in three days on Highway 50( the loneliest road in America)
highplains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #170
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Winds from the SW (santa ana perhaps?) with gusts of 30-40+ mph
It was like that from Monday to yesterday between Vegas and Bakersfield where the winds turned from the North.

Highway 50 is way North of there and so it should be OK.
I wanted to do that road last summer but just could not fit it in.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #171
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Wicked

Your not married ?

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #172
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,642
Bring a puppy.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #173
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

do moose antlers on my helmet count?
that's cute

puppies pittle in tents
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #174
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,036
Sent you pm!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #175
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Sent you pm!
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #176
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

the verdict

I've had a great response (as usual) from the ADV community and have a few Plan B's lined up.

Nothing actually definite yet but have many promising conversations going over PM. Thanks everyone for stepping up and offering help and time.

So the final prep. My Tiger XC 800. 12K service. All done by me with the expert help of a jet mechanic and good friend JetDocX.

Took apart the Tiger hung over from the night before and going on 4 hours of sleep just fine.
Removed battery, fairings, gas tank (empty this time), valve cover (with some cursing about additional pieces to remove with tiny, hard to get to screws), air box cover (probably some other stuff can't remember right now)

New RBF 600 brake fluid
New 10w50 synth oil
New K&N oil filter
New spark plugs
New paper filter (seriously, dual sport bike, paper filter. geeze)
New zero degree coolant (some spilled on carpet under bike)
Removed front wheel to balance
Checked all valves (within spec, whew!)
Checked throttle bodies

Paul made me do most of it so I know my bike now and feel pretty good about running into basic mechanical or tire issues. Not to mention he helped me save $900.
the funniest part....trying to remove the bottom coolant hose with brute force...would not budge so Paul chimed in "think of all the guys that have wronged you" and well, eventually I got it off.

Alaska here I come.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #177
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #178
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
that's a cute emoticon.
looking forward to meeting you Russ!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #179
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I've had a great response (as usual) from the ADV community and have a few Plan B's lined up.

Nothing actually definite yet but have many promising conversations going over PM. Thanks everyone for stepping up and offering help and time.

So the final prep. My Tiger XC 800. 12K service. All done by me with the expert help of a jet mechanic and good friend JetDocX.

Took apart the Tiger hung over from the night before and going on 4 hours of sleep just fine.
Removed battery, fairings, gas tank (empty this time), valve cover (with some cursing about additional pieces to remove with tiny, hard to get to screws), air box cover (probably some other stuff can't remember right now)

New RBF 600 brake fluid
New 10w50 synth oil
New K&N oil filter
New spark plugs
New paper filter (seriously, dual sport bike, paper filter. geeze)
New zero degree coolant (some spilled on carpet under bike)
Removed front wheel to balance
Checked all valves (within spec, whew!)
Checked throttle bodies

Paul made me do most of it so I know my bike now and feel pretty good about running into basic mechanical or tire issues. Not to mention he helped me save $900.
the funniest part....trying to remove the bottom coolant hose with brute force...would not budge so Paul chimed in "think of all the guys that have wronged you" and well, eventually I got it off.

Alaska here I come.
Glad to hear you are one step closer to kick stand UP mode to Alaska!! Praying for safety and good weather for you. Keep us posted on your progress. And If you need a place to wrench or whatever in the Palmer/Wasilla area of Alaska give me a shout
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #180
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,508
And just in case our VERY recent warmer weather doesn't hold, the over-mitts are on their way.

Warmest regards from the still thawing north, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote