Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #61
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Alright, found 'em: Farmholio http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=146122

And hrspwrfiend http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=232310

I kinda feel I gotta add this about tires: I've done D2D 6 times and the Top of the World Hwy has always been very muddy or very loose gravel either one direction or the other. Last year it was so loose I thought I had a flat front and another rider pulled over to see if he had one!

Mellow Moto Marko
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #62
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
If you are coming up the Klondike Hwy from Whitehorse, then it is all paved.
+1 The Whitehorse way is paved. If you are lugging them up just wait until you get to Dick's or get them mounted in Whitehorse.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #63
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
I went to the Honda dealer (big mistake) and paid almost 300 bucks for a Heidi K60 and a sweet pinch flat 80 miles up YT-2 to Dawson. I have heard good things about the Yamaha dealer and they helped me out on my way home when I popped into Whitehorse after Prudhoe. The Alaska dudes will pipe up on road conditions. Srock
Wonder if it is the same Honda dealer from 1995? I had a flat in Watson Lake on my PD (AM 24 Grippster,) plugged it and made it to Whitehorse. Knowing that several Honda dirt bikes ran 17" back then, I went to the Honda shop. He found an identical AM24 on the rack with a sold sign but called his tire man (who was home with flu) and decided they could order another for the local customer. Tire guy came in from home and mounted the tire for us (this was on a Saturday PM and they stayed open past closing time). Cost with conversion was just a little more than I would have paid in US. That tire went on to Inuvik and back to Phoenix with no further problems. Just saying, maybe a different owner when you had your issue.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #64
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 113
Not sure Russ. The only Honda joint in town is now a car, motorcycle, generator supercenter. I had heard good things about guys getting helped out by Honda before my trip before I left, so I went there. I have since then heard bad things about them. I think it's hit and miss with a lot of these places. I know of a lot of dudes going to the Yamahammer place and them letting guys use tools and really going the extra mile.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #65
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 532
I should have explained my route. Not going anywhere near whitehorse.
I am arriving by ferry in Haines then heading straight to anchorage so I can visit Homer and Seward then I'll head up to D2D via Tok.

Coming back the Denali to Mt McKinley.

I just feel "better" on TKC's when it's not paved no matter how good the road.

I can either strap them to the bike or ship them in advance (prefer) which is why I want to find a place to swap them after I get off the ferry.
I could just go to the triumph dealer in Anchorage too.

Thanks really appreciate all the assistance advice.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #66
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I should have explained my route. Not going anywhere near whitehorse.
I am arriving by ferry in Haines then heading straight to anchorage so I can visit Homer and Seward then I'll head up to D2D via Tok.

Coming back the Denali to Mt McKinley.

I just feel "better" on TKC's when it's not paved no matter how good the road.

I can either strap them to the bike or ship them in advance (prefer) which is why I want to find a place to swap them after I get off the ferry.
I could just go to the triumph dealer in Anchorage too.

Thanks really appreciate all the assistance advice.

Alaska Leather in Anchorage does tires as well. You can even buy the TKC's there and have them mounted after you get back from Seward/Homer.

TKCs are not overkill for the Top of the World and if you do the poker run at D2D, you will be glad you have them all the more. I'll definitely be running mine.
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #67
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 548
Wicked another reason for TKC80s

Some awesome side roads/trails off of the Top of The World highway...

NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #68
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Tkc's

There is a Suzuki dealer in TOK if you make arrangements ahead of time who offers great service. He can change your tires. He serviced my GSA while it was pouring outside. Could have done it myself but I just wanted an excuse to dry out. Nice wood stove in the shop to get warm by after getting rained on all day. I ran Heidenau's over the Top of the World in the rain and they were OK. Nice hostel and campground in TOK too. Watch the weather and check the road reports, last year some of them were washed out quite late in the year. Port Hardy has an excellent B&B called Fran's if you need a place. I did the same trip in early July in almost the reverse direction. Highlights were, Hyder/Stewart, Cassiar, The Dempster, Top of the World, Dawson and the rain.
If you are going to be testing your gear and doing conditioning rides, make sure you do some in the rain. BTW pin lock visors are awesome.
Have fun, if you were going later I would tag along for kicks and giggles.

You might enjoy this RR by a young lady who went last year. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

My BMW winter gear is amazing (it better be for $1500), not worried about the rain with it. As for rides in the rain, I did nearly 3 weeks of cold rain in Europe last summer so I'm vaccinated against it.

Won't stay in Port Hardy overnight but good to know if I end up missing my ferry!

SpecialAgentNancy screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 10:34 AM
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #70
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBoxer View Post
Alaska Leather in Anchorage does tires as well. You can even buy the TKC's there and have them mounted after you get back from Seward/Homer.

TKCs are not overkill for the Top of the World and if you do the poker run at D2D, you will be glad you have them all the more. I'll definitely be running mine.
Thanks appreciate the feedback.

I'm not letting anything talk me out of running them, I have both sets and swap them anyway depending on the terrain.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #71
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
Tune up rides

Hi,

A buddy of mine and I are going to be riding north from San Francisco as far as Washington and perhaps Canada but leaving San Francisco later than you are planning. He's riding out from the East and I don't expect him to get here before June 10. He also is not sold on camping.

I'm a NOOB and was planning on some tune up trips before then myself, so perhaps I can join you on some of what you have planned. I'm still putting gear together for the trip, and could benefit from your touring experience. But I have done a lot of camping.

I was hoping to head up into the high country next month, it's been pretty dry and hopefully Forest Service roads or the like will be open. What were your plans?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #72
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 53
I noticed you were worried about the bears. Yes, I have seen a lot of blacks and some grizzlys. I would fear more the moose. Keep your eyes out for them. They ruin and kill more motorists than any other animal up here. I would be sure not to ride tired.
I am sure you have looked at a good map of alaska, but I wonder about going to Anchorage from Haines, the back to Tok and to the Denali. I haven't read all your pieces, but are you going to catch a ferry out of alaska home, or ride a ways back. I have a place in Palmer up on lazy mountain. Hope to get up there this summer myself. I have a goldwing so will be using the paved all the way from here in Washington to Anchorage. Two years ago I made the run by myself in 54hrs. I do not reccommend that. At least the bears were still in hibernation. Mostly saw a lot of caribou. I guess the main thing is to be aware, any animal up there will ruin your trip if you hit one. Beware of a cow moose if she has a calf with her. If you are standing and she lays her ears back when you are taking pics or whatever, she is about to run over you. Is there way of protecting their calves. They run over you and tromp you into the ground. Just be aware is all I am trying to say. Enjoy the ride, it is beautiful country. Also take a mosquito net to pull over your head when stopping for a break or fixing a meal. They have them pretty well taken care of around towns and such, but in the wild they can be terrible. Just remember, when you leave town, you are on the menu.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #73
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Yeah looking like I'm going solo North around the 5/6th June but will do many many training long distance rides over 1-3 day increments all of May

Solvang
Yosemite
Lassen
Fortuna
Big Sur

Are some of my destinations

I would love to help you understand the things that one needs for long touring rides. I would say forgetting even one thing can be an issue and of course, can't be found at the local Walmart. You are welcome to PM with any specific questions but I've made my packing list for Alaska and would be happy to share it to help you get started.
Having the right gear and accessories make all the difference.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #74
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
I noticed you were worried about the bears. Yes, I have seen a lot of blacks and some grizzlys. I would fear more the moose. Keep your eyes out for them. They ruin and kill more motorists than any other animal up here. I would be sure not to ride tired.
I am sure you have looked at a good map of alaska, but I wonder about going to Anchorage from Haines, the back to Tok and to the Denali. I haven't read all your pieces, but are you going to catch a ferry out of alaska home, or ride a ways back. I have a place in Palmer up on lazy mountain. Hope to get up there this summer myself. I have a goldwing so will be using the paved all the way from here in Washington to Anchorage. Two years ago I made the run by myself in 54hrs. I do not reccommend that. At least the bears were still in hibernation. Mostly saw a lot of caribou. I guess the main thing is to be aware, any animal up there will ruin your trip if you hit one. Beware of a cow moose if she has a calf with her. If you are standing and she lays her ears back when you are taking pics or whatever, she is about to run over you. Is there way of protecting their calves. They run over you and tromp you into the ground. Just be aware is all I am trying to say. Enjoy the ride, it is beautiful country. Also take a mosquito net to pull over your head when stopping for a break or fixing a meal. They have them pretty well taken care of around towns and such, but in the wild they can be terrible. Just remember, when you leave town, you are on the menu.
Really appreciate this info. I ride much slower and certainly more cautious on blind turns than more riders. This just affirms my riding style. Its different than taking a 3 hour ride near home!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #75
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Now it looks like I've got a whole day to kill in Prince Rupert so going to do the tire change there if it's possible